Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoops Troops! (UK Football 2013)

Re: Stoops Troops! (UK Football 2013)

Petrino's just a stud. Stoops is never going to outcoach that guy. But Stoops going to have much better players pretty soon.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    part of BBN

Thought I would post a few of the 2014 class tweets after last night's loss:

-Drew Barker- @D_Barker7

Quit acting like we are going to decommit �� we know the situation! Wait until we play WKU the next 4-5 yrs! Back to reality!

-Drew Barker- @D_Barker7

If you all are even considering freaking out, just think.. Nick Saban's first year at Alabama he lost to Louisiana Monroe.. #FoodForThought

UK 2014 Fball Class @UK2014Class

Keep calm..... CHANGE is coming!

Thaddeus Snodgrass @ThadSnod1

Y'all fans better be grateful bc if we had joker this wouldn't even be a ball game right.. Just wait for the class of 2k14 to get in!!

1-11 may not be a stretch

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    And no recruit is safe until signing day....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    And no recruit is safe until signing day....
    And that applies to ALL schools.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    UK looked awful. Looked a lot like the Joker era. No enthusiasm. Mistakes galore. I know its the first game under Stoops but I expected something a little better. At least a little enthusiasm from the sidelines and on the field. Whitlow isn't the QB for a passing offense. They are going to have to go with Smith if they want an ariel game. I doubt this team wins more than two games. Maybe Miami and Alabama State. Another real looooooong year for UK football.
    What surprised me was how bad, I mean bad, the defensive line looked. They were man-handled all night. Stoops was supposed to be a "defensive stud" at Florida state. We had no answer, no adjustments, no nothing.

Stoops first major decision as a head coach he blew...Whitlow is not the quarterback in a "air-raid" offense. Smith in the 4th quarter was impressive, and should of played the whole game. I did not understand it. It looked like last years offense...brutal.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    And that applies to ALL schools.
    It wasn't implied otherwise.

But by signing day, it's very possible that Kentucky's signing class is pushed out of the top 30 if for no other reason than traditionally strong recuiting schools catch up to the Wildcats in the number of commitments. But the wildcats could have a few of their best poached too.

It's going to take Stoops a while to turn that program around from a talent standpoint.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Don't know how much you have followed it but Stoops has been absolutely killing it in Ohio.

Out of those players, Darius West, Mike Edwards, Thaddeus Snodgrass, Jarrett LaRubio, Tymere Dubose, Darryl Long, Nick Richardson, Mikel Horton, and Dorian Hendrix are from the Buckeye State. Not to mention Marcus McWilson who was a late flip in this years class.

How those players produce is anybody's guess, but Stoops is an Ohio native and his top recruiter, Vince Marrow is a top recruiter in Ohio. We're seeing results and I believe will improve as UK can offer something that other neighboring schools can't, the chance to compete in the SEC in a high octane offense.

As for patience, Joker Phillips was given three years and Rich Brooks was given longer before he finally broke through. Even if he doesn't win right away, UK fans have basketball season to look forward to anyways.
    West visited Michigan State this weekend.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    West visited Michigan State this weekend.
    Also, claiming Stoops has recruited 11 four star players is a little optimistic. One has to compile several lists to come up with that many.

For instance, the 247 sports composite rankings give Kentucky credit for 6 4-star commits and I think that's a fair grading system that generally gives a good summation especially when you look at the lists in this thread where only 6 of the wildcat recruits get a 4star rating from more than one source on the list with really only Barker, Snodgrass, Ware and West getting a consensus nod when surveying the 4 sites chosen.

This isn't to argue that Stoops hasn't stepped it up-I think he has. Im just pointing out how hard of a road he has to hoe from a talent/recruiting standpoint. Right now Auburn and Kentucky have very similar overall points totals in the 247 composite team rankings but Auburn has 12-13 spots remaining (I think they can sign 27 in this class) and already have 1 5-star and 6 4-star commits. Then looking at the players they are currently in on (i.e. guys that will take official visits to Auburn), the potential gap between the wildcats and other SEC schools becomes more apparent.

Sick of hearing about Auburn (sorry), just compare the wildcats to Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Vandy and Tennessee in the current 247sports composite team rankings.

Stoops is going to have to seriously coach up some players along with recruiting @ lexington like it's never been done before.
    Last edited by jojo; 09-02-2013 at 08:31 AM.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Well.......that sucked.

Oh well, Rome wasn't built in a day.
    Yep. If there were any fans harboring the hope that UK did have good talent and it was just bad coaching holding them back, that should have shattered it.

That's okay, though. It's a ground-up rebuild, it'll take time, and I think UK fans will be patient as long as they can see progress being made. They usually are. But for this year, Stoops and Co. need to get their schemes into place and find out who can play, understanding they're going to get their heads torn off in the meantime. If running the air-raid offense and adding possessions to the game means the blowouts are going to be extra bad, so be it.

As for recruiting, I think they'll be fine. The main drawing card was SEC competition and bushels of available playing time, and this didn't hurt the latter argument. They're not going to out-recruit the league's best but they can at least get back to where their players can stay on the same field.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    What surprised me was how bad, I mean bad, the defensive line looked. They were man-handled all night. Stoops was supposed to be a "defensive stud" at Florida state. We had no answer, no adjustments, no nothing.

Stoops first major decision as a head coach he blew...Whitlow is not the quarterback in a "air-raid" offense. Smith in the 4th quarter was impressive, and should of played the whole game. I did not understand it. It looked like last years offense...brutal.
    Disagree on Whitlow. An athletic QB can run an air raid attack, just ask Kevin Sumlin who coached last year's Heisman winner. (I'm not comparing Whitlow to Manziel either). Both QBs give you a different option to utilize, Smith being a traditional pocket passer, Whitlow who can create with his feet.

Of course it's not like either of them have receivers to throw to. The Joke left the cupboard pretty bare.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    And sadly, I think I know who that one win will come against!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by redhawkfish View Post
    And sadly, I think I know who that one win will come against!
    Wouldn't shock me if they drop that one. Alabama State is more likely than Miami
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

part of BBN

Smith to start game 2 : Stoops explains...

“There’s a lot of things… Just because we’re naming Max, we’re not putting that loss on Jalen whatsoever. There’s an awful lot of people that can do things better – starting with me. Max, ya know, he came in there and did some good things. And Jalen did some good things as well, just like we thought he would. There were some critical errors, ya know, from both quarterbacks. We need to improve at that position, and we just feel like Max gives us the best opportunity this week.”

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Also, claiming Stoops has recruited 11 four star players is a little optimistic. One has to compile several lists to come up with that many.

For instance, the 247 sports composite rankings give Kentucky credit for 6 4-star commits and I think that's a fair grading system that generally gives a good summation especially when you look at the lists in this thread where only 6 of the wildcat recruits get a 4star rating from more than one source on the list with really only Barker, Snodgrass, Ware and West getting a consensus nod when surveying the 4 sites chosen.

This isn't to argue that Stoops hasn't stepped it up-I think he has. Im just pointing out how hard of a road he has to hoe from a talent/recruiting standpoint. Right now Auburn and Kentucky have very similar overall points totals in the 247 composite team rankings but Auburn has 12-13 spots remaining (I think they can sign 27 in this class) and already have 1 5-star and 6 4-star commits. Then looking at the players they are currently in on (i.e. guys that will take official visits to Auburn), the potential gap between the wildcats and other SEC schools becomes more apparent.

Sick of hearing about Auburn (sorry), just compare the wildcats to Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Vandy and Tennessee in the current 247sports composite team rankings.

Stoops is going to have to seriously coach up some players along with recruiting @ lexington like it's never been done before.
    I never claimed Stoops had 11 4 star recruits. Of course, each recruiting website is different and I have found 24/7 to be the most reliable.

I think it's going to be difficult if not impossible to keep all of the recruits intact. One thing I've noticed different with Stoops compared to other coaches is scheduling visits in the offseason. While it is true that you can get to know the players better in the offseason while not having to worry about a game, it gives other coaches an opportunity to bring in your recruits, have them attend a game, let them see the atmosphere of their university, and compare it to Kentucky who just lost to a school in the Sun Belt conference and likely will not win a game in the SEC.

I think Barker is the safest of the 2014 recruits being a Kentucky native, but other players may open it back up if they take visits during the season and attend games.

Turn Off Ads?