Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoops Troops! (UK Football 2013)

Re: Stoops Troops! (UK Football 2013)

The one thing about playing UL at the end of the season is that it probbaly won't be on ESPN or ESPN2. It will most likely be relegated to ESPNU, ESPNNews or not on any of the ESPN channels. They will lose some national exposure going this route.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The one thing about playing UL at the end of the season is that it probbaly won't be on ESPN or ESPN2. It will most likely be relegated to ESPNU, ESPNNews or not on any of the ESPN channels. They will lose some national exposure going this route.
    I don't know. With college football games starting as early as noon and going late in the evening, I'd say UK-UofL would be a ESPN matchup (unless one or both teams are absolutely horrible).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

How many times since the series resumed has one or the other team not been horrible, though? I can think of only a handful of games ('99, '00, '02 maybe [and I tend to think Louisville was horrible that year], '06). That's 3 or 4 times out of 19. There's always hope it will be better going forward, but clearly not a good track record.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    These are all off the top of my head, so I may be wrong...

2005: ESPN2 (Was this Sunday of Labor Day? Don't remember)
    2006: ESPN (Sunday of Labor Day weekend)
    2007: ESPN Classic
    2008: ESPN (Sunday of Labor Day weekend)
    2009: ESPNU
    2010: ABC Regional
    2011: ESPNU
    2012: ABC Regional

It's not exactly been getting a ton of attention as is.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    These are all off the top of my head, so I may be wrong...

2005: ESPN2 (Was this Sunday of Labor Day? Don't remember)
    2006: ESPN (Sunday of Labor Day weekend)
    2007: ESPN Classic
    2008: ESPN (Sunday of Labor Day weekend)
    2009: ESPNU
    2010: ABC Regional
    2011: ESPNU
    2012: ABC Regional

It's not exactly been getting a ton of attention as is.
    That's probably right. I remember reading one time that the UK/UL game when played on Labor Day weekend would get the highest ratings for any ESPN event of that weekend. Anyway it probably doesn't matter too much. In 2014 the SEC Network will begin (which will be ESPN affiliated) and it will most likely be on it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Looks like the Wildcats won't name a starting QB going into the season with both Smith and Whitlow sharing duties. That never seems to work out very well.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Looks like the Wildcats won't name a starting QB going into the season with both Smith and Whitlow sharing duties. That never seems to work out very well.
    I have a feeling they will use one primary but just arent showing their hand yet since JW/MS are two totally different QB'S.
    I hope they dont use the "play both" thing. If a QB knows...he has the 4th series etc, he feels more pressure to make something happen which results in TO's or incomplete passes etc.
    Just pick a QB and go with him.

Yahtzee! Blake Bone commits.

With Snodgrass, Bone, and possibly Honey Nut Berrios UK is looking really good at wide receiver. I wouldn't be shocked if Barker shatters some of Couch's records in the very near future.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I think whether Stoops will be successful in Lexington or not will all come down to how well this guys recruit especially in Ohio and how much patience he is afforded.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

From Twitter:

4 star commits

Brooks/Phillips (10 years): 12
    Stoops (8 months): 11

12. Likes:

jmac (08-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think whether Stoops will be successful in Lexington or not will all come down to how well this guys recruit especially in Ohio and how much patience he is afforded.
    Don't know how much you have followed it but Stoops has been absolutely killing it in Ohio.

Out of those players, Darius West, Mike Edwards, Thaddeus Snodgrass, Jarrett LaRubio, Tymere Dubose, Darryl Long, Nick Richardson, Mikel Horton, and Dorian Hendrix are from the Buckeye State. Not to mention Marcus McWilson who was a late flip in this years class.

How those players produce is anybody's guess, but Stoops is an Ohio native and his top recruiter, Vince Marrow is a top recruiter in Ohio. We're seeing results and I believe will improve as UK can offer something that other neighboring schools can't, the chance to compete in the SEC in a high octane offense.

As for patience, Joker Phillips was given three years and Rich Brooks was given longer before he finally broke through. Even if he doesn't win right away, UK fans have basketball season to look forward to anyways.

part of BBN

Well I had thought 5-7 and possibly 6-6.
    Either WKU is a Top 10 team or 5 wins is definitely unrealistic for this season.

5 Wins is unrealistic. Can't lose to that school and hope to have much in the way of respect. I love my Cats, but....no, they aren't likely to be much fun to watch this season.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Well.......that sucked.

Oh well, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

UK looked awful. Looked a lot like the Joker era. No enthusiasm. Mistakes galore. I know its the first game under Stoops but I expected something a little better. At least a little enthusiasm from the sidelines and on the field. Whitlow isn't the QB for a passing offense. They are going to have to go with Smith if they want an ariel game. I doubt this team wins more than two games. Maybe Miami and Alabama State. Another real looooooong year for UK football.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?