Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Stoops Troops! (UK Football 2013)

Re: Stoops Troops! (UK Football 2013)

Stoops seemed to be giving a reality check.

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...nclick_check=1

It's going to be hard but in many ways it will be very rewarding for Wildcat fans if they have the patience and if Stoops can rebuild the program.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think it's going to be difficult if not impossible to keep all of the recruits intact. One thing I've noticed different with Stoops compared to other coaches is scheduling visits in the offseason. While it is true that you can get to know the players better in the offseason while not having to worry about a game, it gives other coaches an opportunity to bring in your recruits, have them attend a game, let them see the atmosphere of their university, and compare it to Kentucky who just lost to a school in the Sun Belt conference and likely will not win a game in the SEC.
    Speaking plainly here, UK isn't going to win a game-weekend-atmosphere competition against most of their conference rivals anyway. Not now. Their best chance was to get players in for a visit and get commitments while the it's-a-new-day-at-UK factor was at its peak, get that momentum going, and then try to keep them from taking those other visits in the first place. The strategy won't work for all of them, probably, but I can't fault the idea.

Agreed, too, with the article jojo linked. Stoops just put a bunch of FSU guys into the NFL and he worked with some of those great Miami teams around the turn of the decade. He knows what talent looks like and I'm sure he understands better than anyone just how far away UK is at the moment.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Possibly the least talented UK football team of my lifetime (I'm 50). The talent they do have is mostly players brought in since Stoops and his staff took over, either true freshmen or jucos. Lets go ahead and throw the youngsters like Timmons, Kemp and Blue into the fire, and worry about wins later. This is a 4-5 year project anyway, so wins in 2013 is the last thing I'm concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Petrino's just a stud. Stoops is never going to outcoach that guy. But Stoops going to have much better players pretty soon.
    Petrino is a good coach when the pieces are already in place, or he lucks into a sudden goldmine of hometown talent, like he did at Louisville. He has never proven to be a great recruiter though, and that's going to be even more difficult at a place like WKU. He won't be at Western more than a year or two anyway, but regardless where he winds up, with his baggage, he's never going to be a coach a recruit's mom is going to take a liking to.

Petrino is a great coach. His team put on an offensive clinic Saturday. You don't go 41-9 at Louisville on accident. And he was basically responsible for recruiting the entire 2006 12-1 Orange Bowl championship team (and Michael Bush played one half for that team, and Brohm missed 3 or 4 games that year, so it wasn't just the hometown goldmine). He's clearly not a great human being, but the guy is one of the best coaches in the game without question, and WKU is going to be very, very good in the Sun Belt and C-USA for as long as he hangs around.

Still some problems, but a lot better performance against Miami so far.

I like the way Stoops is using both QBs.

Special teams and penalties are going to kill this team going forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Can they play Miami about 10 more times this season? They won't beat much of anyone but at least they got one win. Special teams is awful as is the defense. I'm afraid Bridgewater is going to a field day next week.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

part of BBN

The young guys and newcomers showed a glimpse of that they can do. Kemp/Timmons/Blue etc looked good.

After a pretty solid first half, it's starting to come unraveled.

I loved the defense in the first half, but the offense needs to catch up soon or they are going to be so winded that teams are going to blow them out in the second half.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

After a pretty solid first half, it's starting to come unraveled.

I loved the defense in the first half, but the offense needs to catch up soon or they are going to be so winded that teams are going to blow them out in the second half.
    I'm impressed by UK. The receivers are awful but they have some good players at other positions and the D-line is stout. I wouldn't be shocked to see them pull off an upset or two this year provided injuries don't make depth an issue.

I don't care if Louisville goes undefeated....with their schedule they do not deserve to go to a BCS bowl game lt alone even be mentioned in championship discussions.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

13. Likes:

Joseph (09-14-2013),WVRed (09-14-2013)

We need a QB badly.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    We need a QB badly.
    I don't disagree, but you can't really blame the qb when the receivers are dropping catchable passes. Whitlow is a gimmick player and nothing more. Max Smith is the best QB but he probably couldn't cut it at any other sec school.

I'd be willing to give Towles a shot. Especially if Smith is hurt.

I don't disagree, but you can't really blame the qb when the receivers are dropping catchable passes. Whitlow is a gimmick player and nothing more. Max Smith is the best QB but he probably couldn't cut it at any other sec school.

I'd be willing to give Towles a shot. Especially if Smith is hurt.
    Receivers were bad too but Smith doesn't throw a very "catchable" ball.

Smith's shoulder looks shot to me.

The only passable catches were short and the receivers were dropping them.

I want to see what Towles can do. If anything I think he's the best option going forward with Whitlow as a dual threat.

Turn Off Ads?