Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Broxton to the DL; needs surgery. Cueto to the 60 day DL, Nick Christiani called up

Re: Broxton to the DL; needs surgery. Cueto to the 60 day DL, Nick Christiani called

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ncared01.shtml
    June 5, 2000: Drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 9th round of the 2000 amateur draft. Player signed June 12, 2000.
    June 15, 2001: Traded by the Texas Rangers with Ruben Mateo to the Cincinnati Reds for Rob Bell.
    July 31, 2009: Traded by the Cincinnati Reds with Josh Roenicke and Zach Stewart to the Toronto Blue Jays for Scott Rolen.
    November 12, 2010: Selected off waivers by the Oakland Athletics from the Toronto Blue Jays.
    December 2, 2010: Granted Free Agency.
    December 16, 2010: Signed as a Free Agent with the Toronto Blue Jays.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Broxton to the DL; needs surgery. Cueto to the 60 day DL, Nick Christiani called

Really, Toronto just kind of lucked into EE's elite production. You figure if they had started their free-spending ways a year previous, they probably would have moved on from him before his breakout 2012 season because his 09-11 were nothing worth writing home about.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Imagine if the Reds would have signed EE as a free agent before he blew up.

Best trade everrrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Really, Toronto just kind of lucked into EE's elite production. You figure if they had started their free-spending ways a year previous, they probably would have moved on from him before his breakout 2012 season because his 09-11 were nothing worth writing home about.
    As pointed out here, Toronto gave up on EE and was just lucky to fall into his success. Also worth pointing out that one of the reasons that the Reds presumably gave up on him is that he couldn't play 3B and no team since then has quibbled with that conclusion - this year, for example, the Jays have split him between 1B and DH (with a little time at 3B). We don't have the a DH and we're pretty much set at 1B.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Without looking: NO!

The union would never allow such a deal.
    Is it one full year for insurance to pay though?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Seg said that Broxton had surgery today, out 6 months. don't know if that was mentioned or not, but right after it happened, there were questions that it might be 3-4 weeks if it wasn't too bad when they opened him up, or up to 12 months if it was. At any rate, they can put him on the 60 day DL and free up another roster spot to call up someone for the playoffs.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2013/...-for-6-months/

The Reds announced Friday that RHP Jonathan Broxton had season-ending surgery to repair a torn flexor mass in his right forearm. Dr. Tim Kremchek performed the operation. The rehab timetable for an injury of this type is six months.

I figured that Broxton was done for the year yesterday when it was learned he needed surgery. What this more specific news tells me is that Broxton’s status heading into the 2014 season is uncertain. If there are no setbacks, it sounds like his rehab period will be done around Spring Training, but it’s clear when he’ll start throwing, etc. Of course, there also has to be no setbacks.

Broxton is in the first season of a three-year, $21 million contract signed over the winter.

Just think, we have 2+ more seasons of "Worst.Contract.Ever."

And I admit I will/have say it every once in awhile myself.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    As pointed out here, Toronto gave up on EE and was just lucky to fall into his success. Also worth pointing out that one of the reasons that the Reds presumably gave up on him is that he couldn't play 3B and no team since then has quibbled with that conclusion - this year, for example, the Jays have split him between 1B and DH (with a little time at 3B). We don't have the a DH and we're pretty much set at 1B.
    True, but that bat would have played in LF.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Worst contract ever? Seriously?

$7 million a year these days for a reliever is not much. If one accepts the general value of WAR being roughly $5 million and change for each win, the Reds were paying for an expectation of only about 4-4.5 total wins over three years (including the $1 million buyout of the 2016 option).

That really isn't a bad contract. This wound up being a lost year, for sure, but if Broxton provides any value in the next year and a half to two years, it won't be much money wasted.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

12. Likes:

REDREAD (08-25-2013)

Barry Zito, Eric Milton and many others say hi.

The resigning of Broxton was simply a move by a GM desperate to cover up the misdrafting of Travieso instead of Wacha.

Last edited by klw; 08-23-2013 at 04:52 PM.

14. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Worst contract ever? Seriously?

$7 million a year these days for a reliever is not much. If one accepts the general value of WAR being roughly $5 million and change for each win, the Reds were paying for an expectation of only about 4-4.5 total wins over three years (including the $1 million buyout of the 2016 option).

That really isn't a bad contract. This wound up being a lost year, for sure, but if Broxton provides any value in the next year and a half to two years, it won't be much money wasted.
    No, not seriously. It was meant as a joke. I will put a smiley face next time.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    True, but that bat would have played in LF.
    The guy is NOT an OF, just like Kearns wasn't a 3rd baseman, like WMP couldn't be sent down, like Phillips isn't a SS

Saying it doesn't make it so

17. Likes:

Big Klu (08-28-2013),Larkin Fan (08-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Barry Zito, Eric Milton and many others say hi.
    It was a joke, and I meant for Walt.

It was a joke, and I meant for Walt.
    Honestly I couldn't tell. I thought it was but then you had that line about how you too say it from time to time and that seemed too straightfaced. Besides next year people will still be calling the Hannahan deal the Worst. Contract. Ever.

Turn Off Ads?