Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Broxton to the DL; needs surgery. Cueto to the 60 day DL, Nick Christiani called up

Re: Broxton to the DL; needs surgery. Cueto to the 60 day DL, Nick Christiani called

Quote Originally Posted by osuredleg24 View Post
    I thought Cueto was starting to throw?
    He is. I think it was just a move to clear up a spot for Christiani,

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Broxton to the DL; needs surgery. Cueto to the 60 day DL, Nick Christiani called

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    A recurring theme of athletes getting injured? It does happen. Seemingly all the time. In every sport.
    This doesn't sound right to me. I'm pretty sure you're wrong.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Cueto DL retroactive to 6/29. Procedural move.

To be fair, lightning has struck twice with Broxton this year.

The first time he went on the DL, Dusty said the training staff specifically told him Broxton's injury could not get worse if he pitched in that extra-inning game. He pitched and it did get worse and he missed 2 months.

This time, Broxton was cleared after being unavailable for 2 straight days for what Dusty said was "the same thing as last time." He makes one appearance and is now out for who knows how long.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (08-22-2013)

Brox, Marshall, Madson, Masset.

Really shows the perils of being a relief pitcher. Also shows that innings pitched is not the only test of wear and tear.

These relievers who pitch day after day sometimes don't hold up well in the health department as they get more and more years under their belts.

8. Likes:

Crumbley (08-22-2013)

I hate hearing this news. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if the surgical procedure that Broxton is about to undergo also involves reconstructive Tommy John Surgery. Partial tears of the ulnar collateral ligament are often found with flexor mass injuries, since the flexor pronator mass helps to stabilize the elbow joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    I hate hearing this news. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if the surgical procedure that Broxton is about to undergo also involves reconstructive Tommy John Surgery. Partial tears of the ulnar collateral ligament are often found with flexor mass injuries, since the flexor pronator mass helps to stabilize the elbow joint.
    Just call Larkin Fan "Dr. Love"
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post

The first time he went on the DL, Dusty said the training staff specifically told him Broxton's injury could not get worse if he pitched in that extra-inning game. He pitched and it did get worse and he missed 2 months.

This time, Broxton was cleared after being unavailable for 2 straight days for what Dusty said was "the same thing as last time." He makes one appearance and is now out for who knows how long.
    Well, he had just come off a major injury before they acquired him as well. So lightning may have struck twice, but Broxton was at least walking around in the rain with a golf club over his head. Or something like that.

12. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (08-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post

From what Broxton said, he had pain in an entirely different area of his arm last night than his previous injury. That certainly suggests a very different injury. Now, could it have been a result of him compensating somehow for the other issue he had? Absolutely. But we don't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    From what Broxton said, he had pain in an entirely different area of his arm last night than his previous injury. That certainly suggests a very different injury. Now, could it have been a result of him compensating somehow for the other issue he had? Absolutely. But we don't know that.
    I just think it's a big coincidence that Tuesday Baker says they've been holding Broxton out because he is having "the same issues" that he had 2 months ago, and that he hopes he can be cleared soon. The next day, DL + surgery.

So much for my dream of Broxton having a lights out last two months and then being able to deal him this offseason. This also makes it more likely Chapman stays in the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Really shows the perils of being a relief pitcher. Also shows that innings pitched is not the only test of wear and tear.

These relievers who pitch day after day sometimes don't hold up well in the health department as they get more and more years under their belts.
    It also shows why dumping tons of money on relievers is a poor strategy.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

17. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (08-23-2013), Crumbley (08-22-2013), Edd Roush (08-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Christiani doesn't seem very good, but he is from north Jersey.
    SHP ain't north Jersey. But he's still Jersey Strong.

Broxton had more red flags than a May Day parade in Moscow. 300 pounds, a recent history of arm woes, brutal mechanics and a K/IP ratio that had reduced by 33% since his arm issues. I loved him as a July trade acquisition for two C-Level prospects, but to long term sign him was a risky move that backfired.

20. Likes:

Always Red (08-23-2013), jojo (08-22-2013), malcontent (08-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Could be one reason they are putting Lorenzen on the fast track for the bullpen. They notice how all these arms keep getting injured and need some new blood in there.

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?