Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Broxton to the DL; needs surgery. Cueto to the 60 day DL, Nick Christiani called up

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Broxton to the DL; needs surgery. Cueto to the 60 day DL, Nick Christiani called

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The guy is NOT an OF, just like Kearns wasn't a 3rd baseman, like WMP couldn't be sent down, like Phillips isn't a SS

Saying it doesn't make it so
    To be fair, all of those guys would be moving to the wrong side of the defensive spectrum. Edwin had enough tools to play 3B for a few years, he just didn't have the footwork. He would've had enough physical ability to play LF.

Bear in mind, I'm not saying he'd play it well, but I'm sure he could get by enough to stick there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Broxton to the DL; needs surgery. Cueto to the 60 day DL, Nick Christiani called

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    To be fair, all of those guys would be moving to the wrong side of the defensive spectrum. Edwin had enough tools to play 3B for a few years, he just didn't have the footwork. He would've had enough physical ability to play LF.

Bear in mind, I'm not saying he'd play it well, but I'm sure he could get by enough to stick there.
    In theory I would agree, but watching him play defense recently, he can barely play 1B good enough to get by.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

4. Likes:

Big Klu (08-28-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    In theory I would agree, but watching him play defense recently, he can barely play 1B good enough to get by.
    Good point, he is 30 now too I forgot.

So maybe I should say, he could have at some point.

17 innings in the OF 5752 IP played in MLB career

Speaks volumes to me, volumes

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Not to pick on you, but just because Broxton ended up getting hurt doesn't mean this was a bad plan. That's kind of like saying it was dumb to sign Cueto because he was lost for most of this year too.. No one is saying that of course, but it's a similiar argument. Pitchers get hurt, that's why you can never have too much pitching.
    It wasn't a bad plan because Broxton got hurt, it was a bad plan because the Reds paid top of the market money and guaranteed three years for a notoriously volatile position. Just look at some of the alternatives that were available:

Joakim Soria - $8mm / 2 years
    Jason Grili - $6.75mm / 2 years
    Joel Peralta - $6mm / 2 years
    Koji Uehara - $4.25mm / 1 year
    JP Howell - $2.85mm / 1 year
    Jason Frasor - $1.5mm / 1 year
    Oliver Perez - $1.5mm / 1 year

Heck even the Reds decision to drop $8.5mm for Madson was better because while they got no production out of him, they also weren't on the hook for multiple seasons thereafter.

8. Likes:

jojo (08-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    No, not seriously. It was meant as a joke. I will put a smiley face next time.
    My apologies. Surely, though, you can understand how around this place one might not know someone was joking
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    It wasn't a bad plan because Broxton got hurt, it was a bad plan because the Reds paid top of the market money and guaranteed three years for a notoriously volatile position. Just look at some of the alternatives that were available:

Heck even the Reds decision to drop $8.5mm for Madson was better because while they got no production out of him, they also weren't on the hook for multiple seasons thereafter.
    Three years for a reliever with an injury history and not much track record post recovery coupled with the general trend for relievers to be highly volatile is excessive. It wasn't genius thinking and this is again before this season's injuries.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Good point, he is 30 now too I forgot.

So maybe I should say, he could have at some point.
    An "old" 30, to boot.

woy: I never said he would be a plus LF.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Just think, we have 2+ more seasons of "Worst.Contract.Ever."

And I admit I will/have say it every once in awhile myself.

You must be new around here, because Eric Milton had a far worse contract.

13. Likes:

remdog (08-24-2013),Tom Servo (08-24-2013)

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Fall guy.. Cueto was DL'd then activated.. Then DL'd then activated.. Then DL'd.. And most likely done for the season.

Nick Masset? Chirp..chirp.. Crickets..crickets. Anyone seen him on the mound in almost two years?

Sean Marshall has been back and forth between active roster and DL..

Jonathan Broxton is just another recurring casualty.

Not to jump on just pitching injuries but we were told as a fan base that Ludwicks injury was a couple months tops injury.. He made appearance in his 2nd game on Aug 11th. Four and a half months into the season..

But your right.. Someone has to take a hit. Not that I'm upset because we are we're we are... But where would we be if these injuries could be properly diagnosed and the right amount of time is allotted to heal? Injuries happen.. They do.. I can barely walk some days without rolling an ankle.. It happens. The thing is whats being done to prevent further injuries that has me scratching my head.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by OneManBand View Post
    Fall guy.. Cueto was DL'd then activated.. Then DL'd then activated.. Then DL'd.. And most likely done for the season.

Nick Masset? Chirp..chirp.. Crickets..crickets. Anyone seen him on the mound in almost two years?

Not to jump on just pitching injuries but we were told as a fan base that Ludwicks injury was a couple months tops injury.. He made appearance in his 2nd game on Aug 11th. Four and a half months into the season..
    Pretty sure they said pretty quickly when it became clear he was going to need surgery that it was going to be after the ASB, which is right around the time he went on rehab.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by OneManBand View Post

But your right.. Someone has to take a hit. Not that I'm upset because we are we're we are... But where would we be if these injuries could be properly diagnosed and the right amount of time is allotted to heal? Injuries happen.. They do.. I can barely walk some days without rolling an ankle.. It happens. The thing is whats being done to prevent further injuries that has me scratching my head.
    No one expected Ludwick back till the ASB at earliest. Most figured August. Not sure I see the confusion you claim on that one.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Who called Broxton's contact "the worst ever"?

All the hyperbole in the world still doesn't change the fact that it was a pretty lousy contract.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post

And then there's another long list of players given cheap contracts that didn't work out.

I'm not going to research every one of them, how exactly were the Reds supposed to get Grilli over the offseason? Trade for him, after he just had a great year as a setup man for the Pirates?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    And then there's another long list of players given cheap contracts that didn't work out.

I'm not going to research every one of them, how exactly were the Reds supposed to get Grilli over the offseason? Trade for him, after he just had a great year as a setup man for the Pirates?
    But that's sort of the point - relief pitchers are notoriously volatile and it's a whole lot easier to jettison a short, cheap contract than it is a long, expensive one.

The contracts that I listed weren't pulled randomly out of thin air, they were the alternatives to Broxton that were available via free agency and unsigned at the time the Reds re-signed Broxton. Instead of letting the market settle and look for value, the front office panicked, bought early and ended up massively overpaying both in terms of salary and the number of years guaranteed.

Turn Off Ads?