Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Most overrated player in baseball?

Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

Guys relax on Mike. He's a good guy. We can all get a little emotional sometimes and ya he said he was done with the forum, but that was clearly a comment spoken with emotion.

It's a message board. If Mike wants to come back and try to be respectful in his comments as a Cards fan I don't think we should give the guy a hard time. Not sure about the timing of the Craig post, but I don't think the guy means any harm.

2. Likes:

mth123 (08-27-2013),RedlegJake (08-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Guys relax on Mike. He's a good guy. We can all get a little emotional sometimes and ya he said he was done with the forum, but that was clearly a comment spoken with emotion.

It's a message board. If Mike wants to come back and try to be respectful in his comments as a Cards fan I don't think we should give the guy a hard time. Not sure about the timing of the Craig post, but I don't think the guy means any harm.
    Like I said in the other thread. This is why you don't burn bridges when you leave. It's also why you don't make a big deal about.

Note to RaisorZone:

If you're mad as hell and you aren't going to take it anymore, just vanish. No need to post a farewll speech like you're George Washington leaving the Presidency.

Just go.

And then, when you come back, you won't have me shouting Good Day, sir at you.

Marlon Byrd
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

REDREAD (08-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Like I said in the other thread. This is why you don't burn bridges when you leave. It's also why you don't make a big deal about.

Note to RaisorZone:

If you're mad as hell and you aren't going to take it anymore, just vanish. No need to post a farewll speech like you're George Washington leaving the Presidency.

Just go.

And then, when you come back, you won't have me shouting Good Day, sir at you.
    It's also a message board not an ex girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    It's also a message board not an ex girlfriend.
    Good day, sir!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Jayson's Werth is often overstated.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

10. Likes:

Raisor (08-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Replacement Level Player is the most overrated. I think the actual "freely available guy" isn't as good as the one used in most calculations.
    I agree. I always wanted to go through the math and figure out what the record of a team of replacement level players would be. Just take a teams total wins and subtract the total WAR, and then average up all the teams..

My guess is that the replacement level team would be given more credit than a real replacement level team would be. The Reds saw some true replacement level players in their down years..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Based on the hype, the salary, the expectations? 2013 Joey Votto is up there.

13. Likes:

indyreds (08-28-2013)

Votto's averaged about 6 WAR 4 seasons running. Not many guys are doing that. If he's overrated, it's a shame the expectations that have been thrown on him because he has been nothing short of elite.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I have to respond to this. I know you have a bent against Cards players, which is to be expected here, but do you actually believe what you type? First off, how can a player be overrated if he hasn't really been highly rated in the first place? Until very recently, I haven't seen much national attention given to him. Secondly, you might want to check some advanced statistics when you say he's a poor fielder. He's posting a 2.2 UZR at 1B this year. While that isn't spectacular, it also shows he hasn't been a liability there this season. I tread lightly when it comes to using errors as a major point but it should be noted that he's only made 1 error this year with a 2B who is learning the position and Pete Kozma at SS most of the year. He's been competent when there have been bad throws to him.

In your previous post, you said "That's fine, Lyle Overbay territory, but Craig was an All-Star this year (mostly because he got hot right at the break)". Huhh?? Did you even look at the stats at all?

Here is Craig's month by month breakdown:

April/March: .263 .297 .358 .655
    May: .356 .414 .538 .952
    June: .330 .357 .528 .885
    July: .311 .379 .411 .790
    August: .296 .418.407.826

Those stats do not suggest a player making the AS team due to only getting hot right at the break. He's been one of the best hitters in baseball most of the year and there is no statistical evidence you can bring to the table to refute that.

He doesn't deserve to be an AS? Who else besides Goldy and Votto would you have picked over Craig to play 1B in the AS game? Freddie Freeman would have been the only other logical choice and when the AS selection was given, Allen Craig was having a better statistical season than Freeman.

What is always noted about Allen Craig in the national media, more so than his overall ability, is his numbers with RISP. Is that overrated? He led the NL in batting average with RISP last year in the NL and he has an insane .447 BA this year with RISP. Since he's been in the majors, he's been hitting .390 with men in RISP. Pound for pound he's been one of the best RBI and situational hitting baseball players since he first came up from the minors.

You can hate the Cardinals, it's to be expected here. However, don't let your hate blind you to the point of insanity. I don't think he's even close to being a league MVP (esp. when Neck Tats is the clear Cardinals MVP) but to say he's overrated simply doesn't jive with any sane statistical analysis.

EDIT: One other thing. I'm pretty sure most Reds fans would want the "middle of the pack 1B" Allen Craig playing LF for them. It's not easy to find someone who puts up monster numbers year in and year out so don't dilute yourself in thinking that they grow on trees just to justify your silly stance on Allen Craig.
    Trolls gonna troll

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Not just addressed to you, but man, people care way too much about money.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    In terms of contract structure, Votto is going to make less money next year than any other year on his contract... A paltry 12 mil.

It shoots up To 20 in 2016, 25 in 2018.

High five!

Will $25mm be a lot of money to pay for a player in 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I personally will be shocked if it is not, especially with the global economic crisis that will most likely hit in the next 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Well if you mean in terms of buying power... surely 25 Mil in 2018 won't be equal to 25 mil in 2013.

In terms of payroll? Who knows. Reds TV Broadcast rights are supposed to expire soon, so that means a new contract. The current trend is that teams are really cashing in on these new deals. The talking heads think that the Reds could possibly double their income from broadcast rights..... that could really pad the payroll and help replenish the farm or buy a few big names. My guess is that in the future the Reds can absorb that contract cost handily.

In terms of value? Well the laws of baseball averages tells us that there are few Carlos Beltrans out there and players tend to wane, sometimes pretty significantly, when they hit the wrong side of 30. My guess is that Joey is not going to be one of those freaks and the Reds end up paying a handsome amount for what Votto accomplished earlier in his time with the Reds during his twilight years. One can only hope that the Reds get enough value out of his low paying years to break even at the end of the contract.

Turn Off Ads?