Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 230

Thread: Most overrated player in baseball?

  1. #196
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    37,432

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan08 View Post
    Hey he is an award winnng hall of fame broadcaster I will take it
    He isn't inducted in the Baseball Hall of Fame. He won a yearly award that gets placed in the Baseball Hall of Fame. He is in there as much as Pete Rose is. They both have something in there, but neither is elected or a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York.

  2. Likes:

    RedsBaron (09-02-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #197
    How u doin
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    281

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He isn't inducted in the Baseball Hall of Fame. He won a yearly award that gets placed in the Baseball Hall of Fame. He is in there as much as Pete Rose is. They both have something in there, but neither is elected or a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York.
    He never played though all he is doing is what me and you are doing and he managed to win an award for it. Let me beat someone to it yeah but Joey plays and won an award for it.To which I would then respond yeah lets cynical and act like children.

  5. #198
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    37,432

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan08 View Post
    He never played though all he is doing is what me and you are doing and he managed to win an award for it. Let me beat someone to it yeah but Joey plays and won an award for it.To which I would then respond yeah lets cynical and act like children.
    He isn't doing what I do.

  6. #199
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,492

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan08 View Post
    He never played though all he is doing is what me and you are doing and he managed to win an award for it. Let me beat someone to it yeah but Joey plays and won an award for it.To which I would then respond yeah lets cynical and act like children.
    How u doin
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    and buckeye fans only a week and a half away from another embarrassing loss they'll be forever unable to reconcile though one would think they should be well used to the modern buckeye brand.

  7. Likes:

    Larkin Fan (09-02-2013),Tom Servo (09-01-2013),Wonderful Monds (09-02-2013)

  8. #200
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,710

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    That Joey Votto guy is an award winning baseball player. Ya know, that award for overrated players known as the MVP award.
    Yeah...but playing that game Josh Hamilton won it the same year, probably really impressing the Angels fans.

  9. Likes:

    Redsfan08 (09-02-2013)

  10. #201
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    44,290

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan08 View Post
    denial denial denial dont get me wrong I think Joey Votto is a good player but not 200million dollars good if you actually think hes worth all that money I cant argue with you anymore because it not going to get us anywhere the only thing we can agree on is to disagree I guess
    So "what's a 200 Million dollar player"

    What do YOU use as measurement for such a number?

    What rate is Votto worth?

    The whole Votto, not just the guy who was 2-18 on the road trip, the whole package? As it relates to the franchise and the rest of the league.

    It's easy to say something is not worth something when you don't set a baseline for your statement, so how about setting a baseline so I can understand what you actually think he's worth relative to the rest of the games players.

  11. #202
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,710

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    I agree that he is frustrating to watch right now, but it is mainly because I expect so much from him. Votto is a much better hitter than Bruce, but he frustrates me more because there were times that Votto was almost fictionally successful.

    I honestly don't think it would be such a big deal if the media didn't turn this into some team MVP thing between Phillips and Votto. If Phillips played for the A's, we would never be comparing the two and trying to figure out which guy is better for the team. We'd probably talk about how someone else needs to step up and help Votto.
    The media has zero to do with my issues. Offensively, even though he doesn't attack enough for my liking and whiffs too much is still a top 7 player offensively and that's more than ample.....him having so many lapses without focus are perplexing to me. He is the worst base running superstar I've ever seen and just just a bad base runner in general. On defense there have been double the head scratchers than I expected.

    On the base running part what maybe gets me the most is that Speier and Berry are poor at 3rd base coach, Bruce, Meso, Phillips, Heisey, Cozart, Choo, Paul and Frazier have had too many WTH moments and as a team they are awful on the bases.....this is where you expect your best player to step up and be a good base runner but he is the worst of them all.

  12. #203
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    356

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    The media has zero to do with my issues. Offensively, even though he doesn't attack enough for my liking and whiffs too much is still a top 7 player offensively and that's more than ample.....him having so many lapses without focus are perplexing to me. He is the worst base running superstar I've ever seen and just just a bad base runner in general. On defense there have been double the head scratchers than I expected.

    On the base running part what maybe gets me the most is that Speier and Berry are poor at 3rd base coach, Bruce, Meso, Phillips, Heisey, Cozart, Choo, Paul and Frazier have had too many WTH moments and as a team they are awful on the bases.....this is where you expect your best player to step up and be a good base runner but he is the worst of them all.


    I think you're being too harsh on Votto's baserunning. Fangraphs' Ultimate Base Running stat (see the explanation here) actually has him as the best base runner among major league first basemen, and has him at third best on the Reds.

    His fielding, meanwhile, has seemingly taken a step back this year, but I'd be careful not too much too much stock on a few highly visible errors. UZR still thinks he's above average as a defender, and while I recognize there are problems with UZR, there's at least cause for optimism regarding Votto's fielding.

  13. #204
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,710

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post
    I think you're being too harsh on Votto's baserunning. Fangraphs' Ultimate Base Running stat (see the explanation here) actually has him as the best base runner among major league first basemen, and has him at third best on the Reds.

    His fielding, meanwhile, has seemingly taken a step back this year, but I'd be careful not too much too much stock on a few highly visible errors. UZR still thinks he's above average as a defender, and while I recognize there are problems with UZR, there's at least cause for optimism regarding Votto's fielding.
    I can agree on the fielding mostly but the number of times this season he has been unaware of where BP was playing, not calling off Meso, olay'ing balls he had plenty of time to get in front of....not blocking balls at first. I don't give a ray's butt about the rest of the league's 1B...Votto has declined from last year and a good bit from his GG year.

    1st-3rd, scoring from 2nd on a single or 1st on a double....maybe he is pretty good compared to other NL 1B (which I still don't care about that)....how many times can one guy get thrown out by a "give up" margin? It may not have cost the Reds a single game...but his base running has just been head scratching way too often for any big leaguer. Those things, while maybe not costing the Reds wins.....frustrate me.

    Back in June some where complaining of the Reds team base running on here and someone brought up a metric saying they were well above average. On that thread (near the ASB) I said I'd like for someone to keep tally of the ridiculous base running mistakes of the Reds vs the opponents during the 2nd half. While I haven't kept track....no metric that says the Reds are a good base running team will be something I can believe.

  14. Likes:

    mth123 (09-02-2013)

  15. #205
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,912

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    This is why watching 162 games a year is a bad idea. Makes you crazy. Makes putting things in context difficult.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  16. #206
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    23,098

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He isn't inducted in the Baseball Hall of Fame. He won a yearly award that gets placed in the Baseball Hall of Fame. He is in there as much as Pete Rose is. They both have something in there, but neither is elected or a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York.
    Yes. I frequently see the uniformed comment that Marty Brennaman is "in the Hall of Fame." He is not.
    Marty's receipt of the Ford Frick award is also irrelevant to any discussion about the value of Joey Votto. Marty is able, when he still wants to, to stylistically call a good game. There is little evidence that he has any special expertise in knowing how baseball should be played or in determining the value of a player.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  17. Likes:

    AtomicDumpling (09-02-2013)

  18. #207
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,009

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    So "what's a 200 Million dollar player"

    What do YOU use as measurement for such a number?

    What rate is Votto worth?

    The whole Votto, not just the guy who was 2-18 on the road trip, the whole package? As it relates to the franchise and the rest of the league.

    It's easy to say something is not worth something when you don't set a baseline for your statement, so how about setting a baseline so I can understand what you actually think he's worth relative to the rest of the games players.
    So can I ask why doug thinks Votto is worth every penny so I can get a baseline too?

  19. #208
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,114

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    There is little evidence that he has any special expertise in knowing how baseball should be played or in determining the value of a player.
    Maybe you are trying to say this (at least this is what I think):

    There is a lot of evidence that he has very little knowledge of how baseball should be played and almost no knowledge on determining the value of a player.

  20. Likes:

    AtomicDumpling (09-02-2013)

  21. #209
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    44,290

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    So can I ask why doug thinks Votto is worth every penny so I can get a baseline too?
    Sure

    If one makes grand statements it's nice to know what they are using as the jumping on point

    Like RBIs. Sooooooooo important to some while other aspects not so much

  22. Likes:

    jojo (09-02-2013),Larkin Fan (09-02-2013)

  23. #210
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,944

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan08 View Post
    and what good has those numbers done for this team in my opinion Joey Votto is nothng more than an overpaid Sean Casey.
    Well, they are a WINNING TEAM, for one thing. So, that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Game update:

    Jason Marquis


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25