Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 230

Thread: Most overrated player in baseball?

  1. #211
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,056

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    There is little evidence that he has any special expertise in knowing how baseball should be played or in determining the value of a player.
    Maybe you are trying to say this (at least this is what I think):

    There is a lot of evidence that he has very little knowledge of how baseball should be played and almost no knowledge on determining the value of a player.

  2. Likes:

    AtomicDumpling (09-02-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #212
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,347

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    So can I ask why doug thinks Votto is worth every penny so I can get a baseline too?
    Sure

    If one makes grand statements it's nice to know what they are using as the jumping on point

    Like RBIs. Sooooooooo important to some while other aspects not so much

  5. Likes:

    jojo (09-02-2013), Larkin Fan (09-02-2013)

  6. #213
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan08 View Post
    and what good has those numbers done for this team in my opinion Joey Votto is nothng more than an overpaid Sean Casey.
    Well, they are a WINNING TEAM, for one thing. So, that.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  7. #214
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan08 View Post
    denial denial denial dont get me wrong I think Joey Votto is a good player but not 200million dollars good if you actually think hes worth all that money I cant argue with you anymore because it not going to get us anywhere the only thing we can agree on is to disagree I guess
    It's not denial IT'S LITERAL FACT ARGHHGHGJHH
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  8. #215
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Westerville, OH
    Posts
    10,778

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Yeah...but playing that game Josh Hamilton won it the same year, probably really impressing the Angels fans.
    Hamilton deserved the AL MVP in 2010. So what's your point?

  9. #216
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Lance Lynn
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  10. #217
    Member LeDoux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    596

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    Yes because it always makes absolute sense to blame the problems of the Reds on the best player on the team. Great logic there, buddy.

    As for the Sean Casey comparison, I'm not even touching that ridiculousness.
    Obviously, you lack skill at player comparisons. Let me help:

    Sean Casey and Joey Votto both played for the Reds at 1B.

    Both have 4 letters in their first name and 5 letters in their last name.

    Case closed. Sean Casey = Joey Votto.

  11. Likes:

    dougdirt (09-02-2013), Larkin Fan (09-02-2013)

  12. #218
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,816

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Sure

    If one makes grand statements it's nice to know what they are using as the jumping on point

    Like RBIs. Sooooooooo important to some while other aspects not so much
    I never said anything as to the importance of RBI's. I'd just like to know, as you do, one way or another a starting point for determining a player's worth before deeming that player as valuable as their contract (or not).

  13. #219
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,227

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I never said anything as to the importance of RBI's. I'd just like to know, as you do, one way or another a starting point for determining a player's worth before deeming that player as valuable as their contract (or not).
    Considering the fact that it's a VERY long contract...there's zero way of knowing if that player is worth that contract. But we can look at it year by year as Doug was. And this year, he is most definitely worth what he's being paid. Odds are very good he will be again next year and the following. I don't think he gets a big bump until like 2016 or so.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  14. Likes:

    mth123 (09-02-2013)

  15. #220
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,095

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Let's make it real simple: Is there a team in baseball that wouldn't pay Joey Votto $17M this season (assuming they were all actually trying to compete - which means Houston/Miami were going to actually spend some money)? I can't imagine a scenario where they wouldn't.

  16. #221
    "So Fla Red"
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    South Florida - The Real Humidor
    Posts
    5,067

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    It's not the $43M we are paying Joey from 2013-2015 that are the issue. The Reds should (and better) make some hay with those years. We're robbing from Peter to pay Paul with Votto and Phillips backloaded contracts.

    It's the $192M Joey makes after turning 32 from 2016-2023 that is likely to become an issue and lead to some lean years down the road. You can't look at the $17M this year in a vacuum, that's about 7% of what the Reds are on the hook for over the next decade.

    Joey is having a fine year, not an elite year but a very good year. Would I like to see him carry the club offensively as we are in the homestretch and in the middle of a 3-6 stinkfest with a tough week ahead - you bet.

  17. Likes:

    Todd Gack (09-02-2013)

  18. #222
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,816

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Let's make it real simple: Is there a team in baseball that wouldn't pay Joey Votto $17M this season (assuming they were all actually trying to compete - which means Houston/Miami were going to actually spend some money)? I can't imagine a scenario where they wouldn't.
    Sure. Most teams would probably pay him 17 million.

    But then again, most teams play baseball the way you don't approve of so why use that kind of metric?

  19. #223
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,841

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Matt Adams.

    Dude is 25, poorly conditioned, allergic to first base, and can't field. People think the Cards have 2 starting calibre 1st basemen. They don't.

  20. #224
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,095

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Sure. Most teams would probably pay him 17 million.

    But then again, most teams play baseball the way you don't approve of so why use that kind of metric?
    Why use the kind of metric that says everyone would pay Joey Votto what he is being paid to suggest he isn't overrated, much less the most overrated player in baseball?

    I don't even know how to respond to this.

  21. Likes:

    Wonderful Monds (09-02-2013)

  22. #225
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,841

    Re: Most overrated player in baseball?

    Votto is worth 17M by any sane metric chosen. It's simply not a topic worth debating.

  23. Likes:

    Gunner44 (09-02-2013), OnBaseMachine (09-02-2013), Wonderful Monds (09-02-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25