Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Headed to my 1st game at Great American Ballpark?

Headed to my 1st game at Great American Ballpark?

Headed to the Brewers game on the 23rd from Lexington , KY . Any tips on cheap beer , good cheap seats , Places to go after the game (bar scene)
    Last edited by BrandonLH81; 08-22-2013 at 08:56 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Headed to my 1st game at Great American Ballpark?

Go to the beer stand nearest the gift shop in left field. Tell them you want 2 beers and have them put it on Mr. Castellini's tab, then wink twice.

It works every time.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

4. Likes:

CoachBombay (08-23-2013)

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Free Parking: I park under the Roebling suspension bridge. Take 5th St. exit off of I-71/75 and continue until you turn left onto Greenup. Follow the street all the way down till it dead-ends and the lot is on your left. Almost always has room, free after 6 p.m. on weekdays and all day on weekends. It's a 10 minute walk across the river to the stadium, but it's beautiful and it will take you right through the banks, which is worth checking out if it's your first game.

Good cheap seats: I personally don't know what's cheap anymore, they've gone with a dynamic price system this year so things fluctuate.

Cheap beer: I'd say get your drink on before and/or after the game and try to nurse a beer or two at the stadium. Best bang for your buck is the tall boys you can get at the UDF stands. Better selection there too. Won't have to spend extra cash on tips. Us beer vendors are nice guys but it'll run you close to $10 a beer if you give a standard tip, and the selection isn't nearly as good. By all means if you want to chill in your seat and have it come to you, please do so though! If you're looking for a more crafty beer the bars behind 1st/3rd base sell heavier Moerlein varieties I believe.

Places to go after the game ... helps to know what you're looking for. The Banks will be hopping and I'm sure it'll be fun, but it comes with the likelihood of having to wait longer for drinks, excessive crowds, etc. The Holy Grail and Tin Roof are the most popular. If you're from Lex I assume you know Tin Roof's deal. If you're fine with the crowd/wait it's probably the best place for a Reds fan to hang out.

Over the Rhine has some nice bars with quality live music. MOTR is my personal favorite. The Drinkery isn't bad either. The annex at Japps is a clubby type joint that plays more of a 80's/wedding music mix. Be prepared to sweat. There's a handful of other bars and assorted pizza joints as well. OTR is the go to for me personally.

As far as other relatively close options there's also Mainstrasse in Covington, which has a really nice personality to it and a number of bars. Mt. Adams is similar in that it has a very nice location overlooking the city and a number of bars. More of college feel to the Mt. though. Around Fountain Square downtown there a few bars and they have a Summer Music series. Concerts go until like 11. Playing tomorrow are -10:00: Drew Holcomb & The Neighbors - 9:00: Jillette Johnson - 8:00: Green Light Morning. Newport in KY also has some bars but it would be the last place I'd recommend personally. Worth mentioning though I suppose.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

$10 a beer and with the Aussie dollor heading south i could be bankrupt by the time i get home with the way i drink.
    Melbourne to Cincinnati - September 1st - 12th 2013

Enjoy! Its a great ball park.
    "I had a cigar in my back pocket...I didn't wanna break it." - Bartholomew "Bump" Bailey

Turn Off Ads?