Thread: Cubs expected to pursue CHOO..

Re: Cubs expected to pursue CHOO..

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    What did he say that wasn't smart?

Choo splits:

vs RHP: 1.025 OPS

vs LHP: .544

That is an extreme difference. Those numbers = platoon player

Do you think you are smart after asking reds44 if he is smart? (what a weird comment/question)
    On base a 1/3 of the time is not a platoon player. A lot of runs will be created because of that player. Especially when that player is probably the best base runner of the regulars on the team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    On base a 1/3 of the time is not a platoon player. A lot of runs will be created because of that player. Especially when that player is probably the best base runner of the regulars on the team.
    I understand with Choo's numbers he would never be played as if he were a platoon player. But his actual production shows that he really is.

Basically, although Choo plays against LHPs, it is worse than having a league minimum right handed hitting CFer up there. He is that bad against LHPs. .544 OPS.

.544 OPS

.544 OPS

Just think about that number for a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

5. Likes:

bigredmechanism (08-25-2013)

Here's the thing about Choo. He's not a platoon player. Don't care about his splits, he plays everyday. And he's not going to sign with a team that makes him a platoon partner.

So while he fits the mold of one, he isn't one and won't be one anytime soon.

7. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (08-23-2013)

I understand with Choo's numbers he would never be played as if he were a platoon player. But his actual production shows that he really is.

Basically, although Choo plays against LHPs, it is worse than having a league minimum right handed hitting CFer up there. He is that bad against LHPs. .544 OPS.

.544 OPS

.544 OPS

Just think about that number for a minute.
    You cant judge a player by one number. It is possible to have a .500 OBP and a .544 OPS. Would you not play that player? Again his OBP against lefties would be second on the team. That is valuable despite not hitting for power.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    Wow, you are so serious person.
    And you are lying.
    Choo in May: .240 .411 .469 => Choo was on fire?
    Votto in May: .388 .492 .631 => Votto was not?
    Dude... Enough with the insults already. Implying people are dumb and calling them liars is not a way to build credibility, nor is it appropriate.

10. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (08-23-2013),westofyou (08-23-2013)

Wow, you are so serious person.
    And you are lying.
    Choo in May: .240 .411 .469 => Choo was on fire?
    Votto in May: .388 .492 .631 => Votto was not?
    I am so serious person? haha

I am not lying. my memory served me wrong, but I was not lying.

Choo was hot in April and cooled down in May

Votto was cold (for him) in April and heated up in May

Either way - how does a player being modest and saying one of his teamates is the best player on the team prove anything whatsoever?

Serious question: Are you Korean?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Here's the thing about Choo. He's not a platoon player. Don't care about his splits, he plays everyday. And he's not going to sign with a team that makes him a platoon partner.

So while he fits the mold of one, he isn't one and won't be one anytime soon.
    To expand, his career numbers are not screaming platoon, they show that he is merely average against lefties and makes his money bashing righties. This season, not sure where the stated OPS numbers of .544 are coming from, I see a .605 on bref.com, and over .700 against lefty starters. It looks like he is doing nothing against lefty relievers, but serviceable against lefty starters.

Perhaps this whole "platoon" idea is a perpetuated myth by overreading/misreading splits, when he is really an everyday player who will sit some against some lefties. Seriously, why would you platoon a guy who's OBP is only 4 points lower against lefties than righties?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

13. Likes:

wheels (08-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    To expand, his career numbers are not screaming platoon, they show that he is merely average against lefties and makes his money bashing righties. This season, not sure where the stated OPS numbers of .544 are coming from, I see a .605 on bref.com, and over .700 against lefty starters. It looks like he is doing nothing against lefty relievers, but serviceable against lefty starters.

Perhaps this whole "platoon" idea is a perpetuated myth by overreading/misreading splits, when he is really an everyday player who will sit some against some lefties. Seriously, why would you platoon a guy who's OBP is only 4 points lower against lefties than righties?
    I am getting them from baseball-reference. as LHB vs LHP = .544 OPS.

I understand Choo is not a platoon player, he is way to good on one side of the plate, but this season he has been really bad against LHPs. It is a simple fact.

I LOVE CHOO - but he stinks against lefties.

Have you ever seen a platoon player whose OPS vs R is 1.025(.931 in career)?
    I have no idea how to look that up. I understand Choo is not literally a platoon player, but his numbers show that he is very bad against LHPs. That is the original point. Reds44 would not want to give $100 million and 6 years for a guy that only can hit right handed pitchers and is over 30 years old. This is not rocket science.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-23-2013)

I am getting them from baseball-reference. as LHB vs LHP = .544 OPS.

I understand Choo is not a platoon player, he is way to good on one side of the plate, but this season he has been really bad against LHPs. It is a simple fact.

I LOVE CHOO - but he stinks against lefties.
    Oops, I was looking at 2012. Which tells me that he this year is not his norm, so perhaps I wouldn't conclude "stinks against lefties" based on limited data from part of one season.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

South Korean?
    By the way, why ask a question like that?
    Yes, I meant South Korean.

I am just curious. You joined redszone this year, there is a trend of you defending Choo and saying how much better than Bruce he is, you have poor grammar which makes me think English is not your first language, etc.

I am not asking because I see it as a negative. I am simply curious, would think it is cool if I am talking about baseball with someone in/from South Korea.

Yes, I'm smart.

20. Likes:

Chip R (08-24-2013),dabvu2498 (08-23-2013),Raisor (08-26-2013),Red in Chicago (08-23-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    Choo will be a Red in 2014. Just watch. The Reds are getting a HUGE TV deal. We have the money. They cannot count on Ludwick next year so it would be wise to extend Choo and call up Hamilton. Our line up would be pretty filthy and balanced.

Choo- LF
    B Hamilton- CF
    Votto- 1B
    Mesoraco- C
    Bruce- RF
    Phillips- 2B
    Frazier- 3B
    Cozart- SS

Depends on Mesoraco's development, he could be the RH # 4 we need. That way BP can be moved to the 6 hole. If not, then Phillips is the clean up hitter and Mes hits 6th.

This franchise needs a rapidly moving 3B or SS to pressure Frazier and Cozart. That or we acquire one in a trade involving a SP
    Exactly what I've been saying/thinking too. Only difference...I don't think Hamilton's ready...and I'm not sure he ever really will be. I hope he will, but his performance in AAA has certainly raised some doubts in my mind.

That Choo is a very good player and that he is a better player than Bruce is a fact.
    I disagree this is a fact. Bruce is much better defensively, elite at his position. Choo is terrible on defense, sorry, but its true. Choo is certainly better at getting on base, and it is a huge weapon in front of Votto, but Bruce has quite a bit more power.

Bruce

Offense:
    .808 OPS
    59 XBH

Defense:
    14 DRS
    4.0 UZR/150

Choo

Offense:
    .870 OPS
    45 XBH

Defense:
    -12 DRS
    -18.8 UZR/150

To me the defense evens them out a bit. It is not Choo's fault he is playing the wrong position, but in this particular season his well below average play on defense in CF does is not close to Bruce's well above average play in RF.

Turn Off Ads?