Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cubs expected to pursue CHOO..

Re: Cubs expected to pursue CHOO..

I guess I disagree that Choo would be a bad signing for the Cubs.

Granted, I am not a Cubs expert, but there's a cost to a big market team to be languishing in the basement. They really can't afford to tank 3-4 years while they "rebuild".. It makes more sense to accelerate the rebuilding process through FA.

They are probably going to have plenty of cash to spend this offseason, and targeting one of the 5 top FA hitters is a good use of money. It's a good way to add talent to the organization.

Not really a Cleveland expert either, but adding Bourne and Swisher (and some others) really improved their team this year. They are now a wildcard contender this year, despite trading for Choo.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

Kc61 (08-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I'm kind of torn on Choo. Love him. Not so much in CF. And I'm really afraid of the L/R splits. I certainly would'nt be throwing $12 mil plus at him. And I know, someone will.
    I don't view 12M as that much money to be honest. Isn't that basically what Arroyo makes? We gave Broxton 10M. If we don't have the money for him, I can respect that. What I don't want is to let him walk thinking we're going to replace him with someone just as good with that 12M. That player just doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The Ms could easily be an above .500 team next season with a couple of shrewd FA pickups and the promotion of their arms to the major league rotation. The Cubs? I'm not sure how far away they are.
    I see the Cubs being closer to contention than Mariners or at least just as close. Better run differential this season and better pitching overall it seems. Wouldn't surprise at all for Cubs to arrive a little earlier than expected.

Choo will be offered a lot of money by large market teams this off-season. If he stays in Cincy, it will be because of non-monetary factors.

Some folks think teams like the Mets and Cubs are typical "seller" teams who don't want to take on salary and will give away good players. To the contrary, these teams are under tremendous pressure to be reasonably good, even if not a true contender. RedRead's post makes this point and it is absolutely true.

I think the NY teams and the Cubs will be all over Choo. Giants also, as an alternative to Hunter Pence. And there are undoubtedly other situations too. Mariners probably. It will be an active market and he will get a major contract.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-23-2013 at 11:16 AM.

7. Likes:

HokieRed (08-23-2013),Tom Servo (08-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I'm kind of torn on Choo. Love him. Not so much in CF. And I'm really afraid of the L/R splits. I certainly would'nt be throwing $12 mil plus at him. And I know, someone will.
    If the Reds sign him for 4 years or so, the plan would obviously be for Choo to hold down CF for one more year and then take over LF at the end of Ludwick's deal, hopefully with Hamilton taking over CF. I remain skeptical on the last part of that plan, but even if Hamilton doesn't work, then a glove-first CF can be added later.

Never seen Choo staying past this season before. Also do not see Front Office letting one of the only 3 above average offensive players go. Should be interesting. This offense would really need a couple players to step up if he leaves. If you thought it was inconsistent this year, next season will really test your patience.

10. Likes:

remdog (08-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Choo will be offered a lot of money by large market teams this off-season. If he stays in Cincy, it will be because of non-monetary factors.
    Will it also be because Walt cleared money via trade in the offseason?

I love what Choo has done for us this year. But we'd be stupid to hand out massive dollars to him. He's on the wrong side of 30, doesn't bring premium defense, and is likely to see a gradual decline in power fairly soon. He gave us one good year, which is what we were looking for. He's VERY unlikely to give us five good years.

13. Likes:

Always Red (08-23-2013),Beltway (09-10-2013),Old school 1983 (08-23-2013)

Choo certainly struggles vs. LHP. But it isnt like he is a complete black hole. He has a .326 OBP against lefties this season and .336 for career. The .326 this season would still have him second overall on team. Kind of funny and kind of sad.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    Do you think you are smart?
    What did he say that wasn't smart?

Choo splits:

vs RHP: 1.025 OPS

vs LHP: .544

That is an extreme difference. Those numbers = platoon player

Do you think you are smart after asking reds44 if he is smart? (what a weird comment/question)

16. Likes:

Redeyecat (08-23-2013)

Let's just win a World Series and worry about all this stuff later. Okay?

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Will it also be because Walt cleared money via trade in the offseason?
    I don't see how Walt can open up meaningful money via trade unless it is Phillips or Votto. He could open up salary for next year, but Choo is going to command a long-term deal.

I think Walt will try, but the numbers Choo can achieve elsewhere will be too compelling. Hope I'm wrong.

Without Choo, Reds will have to add a short-term CFer. Even if Hamilton makes the ballclub, they can't depend on his bat every day as a rookie.

Without Choo, Reds will also have to consider other changes in their offense. They can't expect an acceptable offense with the current team minus Choo without considering some changes.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-23-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Do you think you are smart?
    I have never claimed to be, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Yes, I'm smart.
    And Choo is not a platoon player but almost the best player in the mouth of Votto
    Here is proof.
    http://www.foxsportsohio.com/mlb/cin...blockID=907009
    I'm not clicking that link.

21. Likes:

reds44 (08-23-2013)

Yes, I'm smart.
    And Choo is not a platoon player but almost the best player in the mouth of Votto
    Here is proof.
    http://www.foxsportsohio.com/mlb/cin...blockID=907009
    How exactly does an article from May 30th where Joey Votto says one of his teammates is the best player on the team prove anything exactly?

1.025 OPS vs RHP / .544 OPS vs LHP = proof

Opinion of one man from an article on May 30th - when Choo was on fire and Votto was not = not proof

Good to see you are confident in your intelligence...

Turn Off Ads?