Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Cubs expected to pursue CHOO..

Re: Cubs expected to pursue CHOO..

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    Hamilton will not be ready next year (many pundits are doubting he will ever be ready) .
    Who are these "many pundits" you're referring to, and what are their credentials?

2. Likes:

Big Klu (08-28-2013),RedTeamGo! (08-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    FWIW, Choo against LHP in 2013 is .190/.326/.218/.544. The OBP looks OK, but it's influenced largely by 11 HBP in 179 PAs. If he reverts to a more normal HBP season, that OBP will fall and make him pretty useless against LHP. Choo will be 32 just 3 months into any new deal. No way I'd go over 3 years on him. Really like the guy, but let somebody else pay for those steep decline years.
    Choo for his career is .240/.336/.336/.672...career BABIP vs LHP is .319, current season is .257. Isn't it safe to say that even if he loses those HBP, his other stats normalize and he gets back to being acceptable against LHP?

5. Likes:

RadfordVA (08-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    We were looking for a leadoff hitter when we found Choo. I think the cost of Choo far outweighs his benefits. Unless his market turns out to be less than projected, I'd simply look elsewhere.
    Just curious... got any names? At this point I'm guessing if we made a list of good leadoff hitters who are also available and also cost any less than Choo and don't play a position we're set for... this list would be nobody. I admit I haven't exactly researched it though.

If you can keep Choo for 4/60 you do it and not look back

While I love Choo's OBP, I have to think he'd be a better weapon down the order on a team with someone else who gets on base but has less power. I think his power is wasted some hitting first. He's potentially a 3 hitter, really, against RHP especially.

Ricky Henderson thinks you're cray cray.

Choo would be the second best choice for every lineup spot on the team.

If Votto is your 3rd place batter, Choo is the best choice to fill any other spot

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    Just curious... got any names? At this point I'm guessing if we made a list of good leadoff hitters who are also available and also cost any less than Choo and don't play a position we're set for... this list would be nobody. I admit I haven't exactly researched it though.
    Guys become available. Choo became available last off season, for instance. My thought was a general strategy. Naming names is usually difficult.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Now the Mets are going to try and get him.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Now the Mets are going to try and get him.
    The Mets better win a few more games first. I'll be upset if a team with one of the 10 worst records gets Choo, and as a result, we don't get a first round pick.
    Go BLUE!!!

I've been hearing about the Mets interest for a while, but I'll believe it when I see it. I think they're still too cheap.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If you can keep Choo for 4/60 you do it and not look back
    Disagree unless Reds can get Latos and one of the other SP extended first.

4 of the Reds top 5 prospects are OF who should be big league ready within 2-3 years. Not saying they'll all make it, but what the Reds don't have is that kind of organizational depth at SP, SS or 3B. If Choo played one of those positions, I would agree with your statement. If The Reds could afford to extend the pitchers in addition to that deal with Choo, I'd agree with your statement. And of course if Choo were 2 or 3 years younger, I'd agree with your statement.

And I like Choo on this team a whole lot.
    Go BLUE!!!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Disagree unless Reds can get Latos and one of the other SP extended first.

4 of the Reds top 5 prospects are OF who should be big league ready within 2-3 years. Not saying they'll all make it, but what the Reds don't have is that kind of organizational depth at SP, SS or 3B. If Choo played one of those positions, I would agree with your statement. If The Reds could afford to extend the pitchers in addition to that deal with Choo, I'd agree with your statement. And of course if Choo were 2 or 3 years younger, I'd agree with your statement.

And I like Choo on this team a whole lot.
    Agree 100% I really want to re-sign Choo. But we've GOT to extend Latos & Homer first.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Agree 100% I really want to re-sign Choo. But we've GOT to extend Latos & Homer first.
    Choo will be signed by somebody as early as Thanksgiving and probably no later than mid-December. He ain't waiting around for the Reds to deal with Bailey and Latos. They aren't free agents, the timing doesn't work.

Reds will independently have to decide on Choo. Almost certainly he will leave for much more money. Only hope is if he just loves playing in Cincy for this team, hopefully yes, but this is business and he's likely gone.

The issue for the Reds will be how to proceed to next year without Choo. The issue isn't only CF. It's how you put together a championship team's offense without Choo and with several starters not hitting well in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Choo will be signed by somebody as early as Thanksgiving and probably no later than mid-December.
    I agree with this. I don't think Boras is going to wait it out.
    He's been burned by this, when teams tire of negotiations and move on to another option.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

18. Likes:

Mitri (09-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Choo will be signed by somebody as early as Thanksgiving and probably no later than mid-December. He ain't waiting around for the Reds to deal with Bailey and Latos. They aren't free agents, the timing doesn't work.

Reds will independently have to decide on Choo. Almost certainly he will leave for much more money. Only hope is if he just loves playing in Cincy for this team, hopefully yes, but this is business and he's likely gone.

The issue for the Reds will be how to proceed to next year without Choo. The issue isn't only CF. It's how you put together a championship team's offense without Choo and with several starters not hitting well in 2013.
    There has been and is nothing stopping the Reds from having a conversation with any of these pitchers' agents before they hit free agency. I've been a big advocate of figuring out what it will take to extend them now, and plan and proceed accordingly.
    Go BLUE!!!

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-10-2013),remdog (09-10-2013)

Turn Off Ads?