Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cubs expected to pursue CHOO..

Re: Cubs expected to pursue CHOO..

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post
    How much is too much for Choo? I read a report last week that suggested the bidding starts at 4 years and $60 million. I would think that someone would go to 5 years (hopefully not the Reds) but if they make him a qualifying offer it could deflate the bidding a bit and maybe that's a reasonable amount. Choo in CF for one more year and then a move to LF in 2015 seems pretty good to me. Something to think about but I'd definitely make a qualifying offer and see what happens.
    I saw this offer too and was surprised, and am a bit skeptical, that a 31 year old coming off the kind of season he's having would seek only a 4 year deal. I'd think he'd be looking for a minimum of 6.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would offer Choo 6 years/100 million. Not a penny more. If he thinks he'll get more it'll be from a second division franchise. He won't find a better role fit than here.

Ya, pretty shocked at the numbers being thrown around. I thought he was a lock to get way more. Way lesser players than him have been given over 100M without a second thought.

ETA: if 4/60 is even close to the range we're talking, it's a no-brainer to sign him.

5. Likes:

Cursh14 (09-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I would think that the Ms would be all over Choo (and any other outfielder with a pulse) this off season.
    I predict the Mariners sign Ellsbury. He is from the area, the Red Sox will make him a qualifying offer, and Boras will be looking for team most willing to over pay for his client.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    I would offer Choo 6 years/100 million. Not a penny more. If he thinks he'll get more it'll be from a second division franchise. He won't find a better role fit than here.
    I think this is way too much personally. If it goes over 4 years 60 mill I would bow out if I were the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I predict the Mariners sign Ellsbury. He is from the area, the Red Sox will make him a qualifying offer, and Boras will be looking for team most willing to over pay for his client.
    You're absolutely right. They'll target any good outfielder. I wouldn't be shocked if they don't go after Cano too.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Choo is a very important sign for the Reds this offseason. I think they'll make a strong push for him.

I'm kind of torn on Choo. Love him. Not so much in CF. And I'm really afraid of the L/R splits. I certainly would'nt be throwing $12 mil plus at him. And I know, someone will.

Personally, I'd be very disappointed to lose Choo, especially to the Cubs. I liked Choo when he was with Cleveland and I was shocked that the Indians would trade him but I was so happy to have acquired him. Now, after the way he's played, it would certainly hurt the Reds to lose him. I'm not sold on Hamilton being ready in the Spring and I'm certainly not sold on Ludwig returning to 'form'. Waiting for a draft pick for several years to be MLB ready doesn't do a lot for me either.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

I think the Reds would be nuts to hand a platoon player on the wrong side of 30 that kind of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

13. Likes:

Always Red (08-23-2013),BlackPete Ibold (08-23-2013),mth123 (08-23-2013),RedTeamGo! (08-23-2013),Steve4192 (09-10-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think the Reds would be nuts to hand a platoon player on the wrong side of 30 that kind of money.
    Agree, but on the other hand, that might be the cost for not having any help in the foreseeable future from the farm system.

If not Choo, then they will need to sign someone.
    sorry we're boring

You don't make up for a bit of a depleted farm system by signing guys to bad contracts unless you want to become the Angels.

The Reds won 97 games with Drew Stubbs in CF last year. Choo was the perfect addition to this team, but they'll be okay without him.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

16. Likes:

HokieRed (08-23-2013),Old school 1983 (08-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Agree, but on the other hand, that might be the cost for not having any help in the foreseeable future from the farm system.

If not Choo, then they will need to sign someone.
    Trade for a cheap, serviceable CFer until Hamilton is ready then. Paging Lyonis Martin.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    You don't make up for a bit of a depleted farm system by signing guys to bad contracts unless you want to become the Angels.

The Reds won 97 games with Drew Stubbs in CF last year. Choo was the perfect addition to this team, but they'll be okay without him.
    They also got to play the Astros about 16 times.

They need to replace Choo's OBP, when/if Choo goes (and I don't think they will be able to sign him) they have literally no one who can hit 1st or 2nd.

It will be interesting to see what they do. Travieso/Stephenson may be on the block.
    sorry we're boring

With the second half Hamilton has put together, it will be a major upset if anyone but him is in CF on Opening Day next year.

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?