Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Cubs expected to pursue CHOO..

Re: Cubs expected to pursue CHOO..

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Fair point, but I'll ask this - how many hitters can you recall that have signed four year deals (or longer) when they were 31 or older - that have been great signings (in retrospect)? That, along with the fact that 4 of the Reds top 5 prospects are OF, and 4 of the Reds 5 starting pitchers will hit FA during that time, is why I wouldn't go more than 3 years on a deal with Choo.
    Just for fun, here's a list of contracts for 4+ years handed out over the last 15 or so years.

At a glance, I'd say the only one that might meet your criteria is Adrian Beltre's deal with Texas. Suffice to say, deals like the ones you describe seem to be the exception, rather than the rule.

2. Turn Off Ads?

there is a ton of good talent out there in the draft and if we can get a pick for Choo and Bronson on top of our own pick, geesh we could really make a splash if our scouting department does a good job.....I am not 100% sold on the draft as opposed to having already proven talent, but when money is the issue, you have to look at all options and the option of possible having 3 draft picks next year sure looks good. Just something to think about.....

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post
    Just for fun, here's a list of contracts for 4+ years handed out over the last 15 or so years.

At a glance, I'd say the only one that might meet your criteria is Adrian Beltre's deal with Texas. Suffice to say, deals like the ones you describe seem to be the exception, rather than the rule.
    Interesting list! Torii Hunter would be another that worked out. Soriano and Jayson Werth may yet prove to be based on current performance. Still, the odds are certainly against it.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Fair point, but I'll ask this - how many hitters can you recall that have signed four year deals (or longer) when they were 31 or older - that have been great signings (in retrospect)? That, along with the fact that 4 of the Reds top 5 prospects are OF, and 4 of the Reds 5 starting pitchers will hit FA during that time, is why I wouldn't go more than 3 years on a deal with Choo.
    Good question. Not arguing with you about Choo, but that would be an interesting list to complile
    I am going to slightly change the parameters though.
    How about guys that were signed to 4 years or longer, and who's contract runs until they are 35 or older? That makes it a little easier, although the list off the top of my head is short. Some of these guys are still playing, the contracts might end up being bad.

Matt Holliday looks good so far (signed before 31, but the long deal takes him to 35)

Arroyo (although that was two contracts, which reduced the risk)

Adrian Beltre

Texeria would've been ok, if the Yanks only gave him 4 years, but they gave him eight

JD Drew (Boston) would've been ok if given 4 years instead of 5.

That's all I can think of.. which kind of proves your point.. it's a short list.
    I went through a lot of guys that didn't meet your criteria, still it was fun to try to think of names.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

The only thing I'd be in for with Choo is if his market value isn't what he had hoped and he tries the one year deal move. Then, I'd consider paying him and trading Ludwick to free up the money. But, LT deal, not sure that contract would pay off.

The LT deal is right up the alley for Cubs or Mets, who like to throw good money into bad deals.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Mets have a ton of money coming off their payroll, and are rumored to be interested in Choo to play RF.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Mets have a ton of money coming off their payroll, and are rumored to be interested in Choo to play RF.
    Isn't Hunter Pence a free agent? I'd think the Giants would more likely spend the dough on Choo.

Mets. Yankees. Mariners. Cubs. Phillies, Padres, White Sox. Brewers. I can see many teams going after Choo next year, including attractive cities and some teams with money to spend.

The BIG question to me is not simply who replaces Choo. It is how the reds structure their offense to be successful in a lineup without Choo.

It could definitely involve more than just making a change in CF.

9. Likes:

1940757690 (09-11-2013),Old school 1983 (09-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Isn't Hunter Pence a free agent? I'd think the Giants would more likely spend the dough on Choo.

Mets. Yankees. Mariners. Cubs. Phillies, Padres, White Sox. Brewers. I can see many teams going after Choo next year, including attractive cities and some teams with money to spend.

The BIG question to me is not simply who replaces Choo. It is how the reds structure their offense to be successful in a lineup without Choo.

Yankees are trying to cut salary and Cano is a Free Agent. I don't think they'll be a player for Choo.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I completely agree. To find a cf alone that'll make up choos production the reds will have to spend big bucks or trade top prospects or pitching. I think third and left should be first looked at for upgrades followed by SS and catcher. I think Hamilton needs a chance in center not only because of cost but also because the price of a stopgap cf could be money going to a more permanent solution at another position plus I really think Ervin will shoot through the minors and be knocking on the door by the end of next year. More or less we have in house options for CF. at third at SS we really don't have much close that could cover at a higher level than we have.

Thom and Chris were talking last night that the Cubs weren't likely to go after any high priced free agents. Of course you can take that with a grain of salt but it's food for thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Yankees are trying to cut salary and Cano is a Free Agent. I don't think they'll be a player for Choo.
    I kind of completely disagree, but we'll never know until the FA season. Yanks seem to me to need an injection of top level position players. The ARod/Jeter teams are over.

Maybe Cano leaves and they have a lot of room to work. Maybe the Mets are after Choo and the Yanks would rather have the attractive player for themselves.

Just no way to know yet, but I wouldn't count them out at all.

I kind of completely disagree, but we'll never know until the FA season. Yanks seem to me to need an injection of top level position players. The ARod/Jeter teams are over.

Maybe Cano leaves and they have a lot of room to work. Maybe the Mets are after Choo and the Yanks would rather have the attractive player for themselves.

Just no way to know yet, but I wouldn't count them out at all.
    I'd think what the Yankees do with impending FA Curtis Granderson, not Robbie Cano, is much more relevant to whether or not they pursue Choo.

I'd prefer he goes to the Yankees over the Cubs or Mets, because at least then we'd be guaranteed a first round pick (Cubs and Mets are currently on pace to have a protected first round pick). He could be the new Hideki Matsui.
    Go BLUE!!!

The problem is they still have to pay them a lot of money. If they could cut them and only have to pay part of their salaries like in the NFL, then they could go after some big names.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    I expect Choo will wear a Cubs uniform next year.

These are like private detective photos of a cheating spouse.

How could you Choo, how could you?

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    These are like private detective photos of a cheating spouse.

How could you Choo, how could you?
    The first pic looks like they have a game of dice going on. Where's Pete?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?