Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 8/23/2013 Brewers at Reds

Re: 8/23/2013 Brewers at Reds

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The pirates recently got swept by Colorado. The Cards recently lost 2 of 3 in Chicago to the Cubs.

It's like some of you are watching baseball for the first time.
    Ha, we posted the same thing.

2. Likes:

PuffyPig (08-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Wildcat Fan clearing up a wedgie?
    Injun undies. Always creepin' up on you.

Sorry, kid joke. What can I say...I'm surrounded by 'em.

5. Likes:

MBZags (08-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The Pirates just got swept by the Rockies and lost a game against the San Diego Padres.

The Cardinals just lost 2 of 3 against the Cubs 2 weeks ago and lost a game to the Brewers a couple days ago.

no losses are good. Expecting the Reds to win every game here on out is an exercise in futility. watch the game however you wish though, I will be over here in reality.
    Can't lose home games to the Brewers in the Reds' situation, sorry. If the goal is to win the division, it won't work. The Cards have already beaten the Braves for the second night in a row. That's what we're up against.

The Reds should have swept this series. That's what champions do.

The Brewers are 16 games under .500 and the Reds have played them five times in the last week. Reds are 2-3. That won't do the trick.

Reds are still a good team, still probably a wild card contestant. But at some point a championship team has to play that way.

7. Likes:

Mutaman (08-23-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Post game reaction: Why is Mesoraco not pinch hitting in the eighth? That seems absurd to me with the slap hitter of all slap hitters at the plate and a nasty closer waiting in the wings. Had to play for that inning IMO.
    I said the same thing but no one seemed to care...I suggested we were all jaded by how Dusty manages.

No excuse for not pinch hitting your best hitting catcher for the one that struggles to get the ball off the ground.

Would Mez gotten a hit? We will never know. However you have to put "feelings" and "ego's" aside in that situation and bat your best batter off the bench for a chance to tie the game..

This non move went pretty much under the radar on this thread...and I feel it was a critical error.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Can't lose home games to the Brewers in the Reds' situation, sorry. If the goal is to win the division, it won't work. The Cards have already beaten the Braves for the second night in a row. That's what we're up against.

The Reds should have swept this series. That's what champions do.

The Brewers are 16 games under .500 and the Reds have played them five times in the last week. Reds are 2-3. That won't do the trick.

Reds are still a good team, still probably a wild card contestant. But at some point a championship team has to play that way.
    Champions win all games against teams sub .500. Got it.

You would think that maybe one of these days your 1/4 BILLION DOLLAR SUPERSTAR would come through with some late inning heroics. Or am I just being unrealistic?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Fair point. I'll just say this. Back when I first joined RZ (or actually when I first transferred to ORG) I got into this exact situation with OBM in fact. I did exactly what you're doing. Stating your case by repeating what was said in a PM. I didn't know that was frowned upon. I felt like I was being attacked and had a right to defend myself. The result of that episode was ME being banned because of posting PM info in public. It's a big no-no here from my experience so I've looked at it like that sign that Pete Rose apparently ignored in every clubhouse. Don't be surprised if the hammer comes down...hard.

Just to be clear Brutus, I enjoy your posts. I really do. I value your opinion. I think your a fantastic poster. But in this case...I think you've picked the wrong thread to pick nits. Its not your average thread. I'll admit there are many times when the game thread becomes unbearable...but for me that's just due to the negativity or the arguments between posters or the thread cops telling people how to or how not to post. I know I'm doing some of that right now, but it just really struck a chord with me on how similar this situation was from what I had a few years back. Anyway...I hope cooler heads prevail. Unlike our Redlegs tonight.
    My first response to OBM was more than fair. I simply asked if he was basing his opinion of 5-6 games he's probably seen Davis or pointing out that Davis hasn't really established a major league track record. That is not at all an unfair question.

People really shouldn't have taken exception to that.

I realize these threads aren't all one way. But the people that vent need to remember that this is a place for other people to discuss things too. Some people don't like to see a bunch of overreactions and people venting. Others might get tired of having their posts called out, corrected or whatever else, but they should be considerate of others that don't think this is a place meant to vent. If someone does post something, others have a right to take issue with it.

If the excuse given is "we all are frustrated, we have a right to be upset." That's fine. But one should also consider this is a place for others too and one should be respectful of others just as they would hope others be respectful to them.

If someone is upset, I say punch a wall, take a minute before posting; instead of simply reacting to the keyboard with the first thing that comes to mind.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The Cards and Pirates also have lots of games left against the Brewers. We'll see how they do.

The Reds so far are 2-3 in their recent Brewer games. Let's see if the Cards and Pirates do equally as "well".

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    He's striking out less and walking more than in his MVP season in 2010.
    Actually that's incorrect. He's striking out 19.2% of his PA. EXACTLY the same as 2010. He is however on pace to hit half the amount of HRs as 2010 and his slugging and OPS are both 100 points lower right now.
    Yes that was a very impressive infield single. I thought for a second it was leaving the yard. - texasdave 10/13/12

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    My first response to OBM was more than fair. I simply asked if he was basing his opinion of 5-6 games he's probably seen Davis or pointing out that Davis hasn't really established a major league track record. That is not at all an unfair question.

I realize these threads aren't all one way. But the people that vent need to remember that this is a place for other people to discuss things too. Some people don't like to see a bunch of overreactions and people venting. Others might get tired of having their posts called out, corrected or whatever else, but they should be considerate of others that don't think this is a place meant to vent. If someone does post something, others have a right to take issue with it.

If the excuse given is "we all are frustrated, we have a right to be upset." That's fine. But one should also consider this is a place for others too and one should be respectful of others just as they would hope others be respectful to them.

If someone is upset, I say punch a wall, take a minute before posting; instead of simply reacting to the keyboard with the first thing that comes to mind.
    Dude... Take a deep breath. And then let this whole thing go. Game thread posts have never been intended to be well-thought out, analytical masterpieces. If you want that, go to the ORG. Game threads have been like this since the inception of Redszone and it's perfectly fine. How do I know this? Because I've been here from the very beginning. Just let it go. My god.

15. Likes:

George Foster (08-23-2013),MBZags (08-23-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-23-2013),Red in Chicago (08-24-2013),Superdude (08-23-2013)

These threads and the instant keyboarding can be very helpful in preventing the wall from being punched.

I'd rather type my immediate thoughts on here rather than punch a wall....or even yell at the tv.

17. Likes:

George Foster (08-23-2013),MBZags (08-23-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (08-23-2013)

That's not what KC is saying.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I get what you're saying bud. I really do. There are certainly nights when the game thread annoys me to no end. But I've learned to let things slide and focus on either specific posters or just the game itself or just try to stem the tide by lightening the mood with some joke or poke at myself.

While what you say at the end is one way to view it, another would be to simply ignore the posts that annoy you. Just roll your eyes and go to the next post. When I'm in a game thread, I almost imagine myself at a game with some friends or a bar with some friends watching the game. I don't want to take a second to calm down before I shout "DINGER! Way to go BPHIL!!!". Same goes for a botched play. If I want to react...what's wrong with that. If it's annoying to someone, I'll apologize and try to refrain from doing it for a while. I'll let the mods decide if someone is going too far, but in general the bar patrons patrol themselves. The mods are the bouncers...if someone's getting out of hand, they'll step in. But at some point, everyone at the bar realizes that emotion will come out at will. Try to contain it...you might as well turn off the game or close the bar.

Whatever anyone says, August is not the same as April in baseball. This wasn't a good loss.
    Can't give up six runs to this Brewer's offense, not even in this ball park. Bad loss.

The Cards and Pirates also have lots of games left against the Brewers. We'll see how they do.

The Reds so far are 2-3 in their recent Brewer games. Let's see if the Cards and Pirates do equally as "well".
    The reds have smoked the Cubs all season and the Cardinals lost 2 of 3 to the cubs. How do you explain that? Are the Brewers the measuring stick?

Turn Off Ads?