Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game threads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Game threads

I think these things are out of control.

I respect that a longer leash is given to everyone... the people that react, the people reacting to the reactions, the people reacting to the reactions of the reactors; I think it's fairly treated among all. And I also get giving more leeway in that regard.

But let's be honest, the Reds are on firm ground for a playoff appearance and yet night after night the game threads are an ugly, contentious place to be. It's not real enjoyable, even when the Reds are winning most of their games.

I'd like to be able to discuss the game as it's going on, but it's mostly made up of people venting. I realize, again, venting is given some leeway. But it's over the top. And if someone points out something that was an overreaction, then those people are crucified and then they naturally defend themselves and bicker back, and it turns into a whole back and forth.

There's got to be a happier medium to allow people to vent but still provide room for those that don't like the constant negativity derived. Right? Should it be justified to tell people if they don't like it, they should be forced to just go away because they actually prefer a more tempered conversation?

There seems to be three camps: those that want to vent on the spot, those that don't like the venting and disagree with the comments and those that are sick of the bickering by both sides after it happens and rush in to admonish the person of their choice. It's a predictable exercise. Should the aim of the game thread be re-evaluated? I can't be the only one that finds these game threads to be a little outlandish this season.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (08-24-2013),Raisor (08-24-2013)

Re: Game threads

I've seen some over reacting this season, but this takes the cake. Compared to most fan sites, RedsZone is pretty much milk and cookies, even on nights of a tough loss. Like the rules say: "It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for."

If folks can't handle a little give and take on the internet, I have no idea how they function in society.

4. Likes:

CoachBombay (08-27-2013),jojo (08-24-2013),Larkin Fan (08-24-2013),MBZags (08-24-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I've seen some over reacting this season, but this takes the cake. Compared to most fan sites, RedsZone is pretty much milk and cookies, even on nights of a tough loss.

Like I've said before, if folks can't handle a little give and take on the internet, I have no idea how they function in society.
    People can handle some give and take. Not everyone is keen on people acting a fool just because something bad happens in a baseball game.

I find people function better in society because in society, they have respect when in present company of others not to act like like the world is ending if something goes wrong in a game. People often say things on the internet to others and things in general that they don't say in "society." It's easy to get on the internet and overreact because people don't have their own names attached and they don't know anyone else from Adam. A lot of people behave a lot more rationally in person than they do on the internet.

That certainly is a two-way street. It goes for everyone. Nonetheless, I don't see much difference between this game thread and any of the ones I've moderated or been an admin for the past decade. And that's the thing, it's supposed to be a higher standard. I think the ORG is most definitely a more civilized place than most message boards, but the game threads aren't a whole lot better than most.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I've seen some over reacting this season, but this takes the cake. Compared to most fan sites, RedsZone is pretty much milk and cookies, even on nights of a tough loss. Like the rules say: "It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for."

If folks can't handle a little give and take on the internet, I have no idea how they function in society.
    Agreed.

They call me "chef"

It's difficult sometimes but the best course is to ignore the wild posts and let them disappear into the previous page. Unless you're posting in the Politics forum then fight on and stand your ground!

Think about it like this. The Reds win 55% of the games or so over the long haul. The remarks on game threads should therefore be about 55% positive considering the state of the team.

By my estimates, they are about 99.999999% negative. The game threads are at this point (and have been for years) a place to go dump on the Reds. I tired of it years ago. And the few times I go, I usually get myself in trouble and can't bite my tongue. It's beyond horrible I have no idea why anyone chooses to participate routinely unless they are into snuff material. I can't say I participate much anymore and have no idea what has been said recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Think about it like this. The Reds win 55% of the games or so over the long haul. The remarks on game threads should therefore be about 55% positive considering the state of the team.

By my estimates, they are about 99.999999% negative. The game threads are at this point (and have been for years) a place to go dump on the Reds. I tired of it years ago. And the few times I go, I usually get myself in trouble and can't bite my tongue. It's beyond horrible I have no idea why anyone chooses to participate routinely unless they are into snuff material. I can't say I participate much anymore and have no idea what has been said recently.
    It's pretty bad indeed.

The thing is, I don't think anyone is against criticism. I think what people are making a distinction between is being critical and being constantly negative and overreacting to everything.

If people post out of frustration without stopping to gather their thoughts, they're not really critiquing, they're just venting. If one stops after something happens and thinks about what they want to say in a rational manner, and then hits the <enter> button, there might be some disagreement about what is said, but it's more likely to be sincere rather than emotional.

My question is why do any of us have to post the first emotion that pops into our head during a baseball game? Shouldn't we be able to hold off for an extra few seconds to think through what we're typing? I imagine if people are having face to face conversations during a game or just in general, they don't blurt out the first thing that pops into their head. I just haven't been able to understand why sitting in front of a keyboard should be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I There seems to be three camps: those that want to vent on the spot, those that don't like the venting and disagree with the comments and those that are sick of the bickering by both sides after it happens and rush in to admonish the person of their choice. It's a predictable exercise. Should the aim of the game thread be re-evaluated? I can't be the only one that finds these game threads to be a little outlandish this season.
    I'm a big free speech guy so I think it's a good thing for fans to be able to vent freely about the Reds and their play in these threads. The problem arises when other RZers feel the need to, as you put it, "admonish" their fellow RZer. That takes focus away from the game and onto things on a personal level. This issue unfortunately is a problem in more areas around here than the game threads.

11. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-27-2013),Larkin Fan (08-24-2013),MBZags (08-24-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-24-2013),texasdave (08-24-2013)

I have no interest in debating any of these individual posts, but it took me about 2 minutes to pull them from 1 game thread. (The last Cardinals game)

They are examples of posts that are asking to be rebutted, or admonished. Should posters be able to post things like this unchecked? I don't mind posters posting straight from the heart, but if you post something silly, you are going to get zinged. I don't believe stuff like this should be able to be posted and not be challenged, or frankly, sometimes mocked.

GOODBYE 1st Wildcard spot! Let's just hope the Reds can survive enough to hold on to the 2nd WC.

Pathetic and uninspired showing today from our thief pitcher.

Way to go Mikey
    One thing our collection of bad LFs all do consistently: swing at the first pitch.
    I'm telling you, performances like this push Dusty closer and closer to walking the plank. If not now, then the postseason.

This team was supposed to be a Ferrari, but it's turned into a Chevette pretty quickly.
    This team shows no fire. Do they even care that they're getting embarrassed again by the Cardinals? A Cardinals team without their leader in Molina?
    They act like they don't even care. How about some fire boys?! Votto used to show some fire this season. Until he was raked over the coals for dropping some F-bombs. Now he's stoic as possible.
    I am so unbelievably angry and frustrated with this team right now. To hell with all of the bums associated with this organization. We haven't won jack in my lifetime (besides a 97 win season leading to one of the largest playoff collapses in MLB history) and I see absolutely zero reason to expect anything of any substance in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I have no interest in debating any of these individual posts, but it took me about 2 minutes to pull them from 1 game thread. (The last Cardinals game)

They are examples of posts that are asking to be rebutted, or admonished. Should posters be able to post things like this unchecked? I don't mind posters posting straight from the heart, but if you post something silly, you are going to get zinged. I don't believe stuff like this should be able to be posted and not be challenged, or frankly, sometimes mocked.
    Well said. I don't know why if people are going to overreact or vent, that people shouldn't be able to call them on it or disagree with the stance entirely.

It seems people want free reign to be as ridiculous as they can be and no one say a word to them about it.

It seems like some people want you to post full scouting reports with video evidence to back up every post. I don't see anything wrong with the game threads except for those who like to troll and make private matters public.

Raw emotion is what makes the game threads fun. I don't post in them nearly as much as I used to but I still enjoy reading over them after every game.

Saying so and so sucks is an example of a bad post, I agree. Saying someone made a bad pitch, or being upset over losing to a bad team while in a pennant race is okay in my book.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 08-24-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It seems like some people want you to post full scouting reports with video evidence to back up every post. I don't see anything wrong with the game threads except for those who like to troll and make private matters public.

Raw emotion is what makes the game threads fun. I don't post in them nearly as much as I used to but I still enjoy reading over them after every game.
    This thread isn't about you, so stop trying to make it about me. If you have a problem with me, send me another unsolicited, hostile private message like you did last night and take it offline. There's no need for the passive-aggressive, not-so-veiled shots.

The thread was started because of a long history of people acting ridiculous with overreactions in game threads. That's what this is about.

Some of us forget that every Reds loss is the end of the world.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; 08-24-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10 second rule... That's my control for game threads where I'm at home. If after 10 seconds I still have to post my gut reaction(s) then I usually compose it offline . After reading it over, ensuring decent grammar, spelling plus trying not to offend, I go back to the game thread. 9 times out of 10 it's blown over or someone has posted my thoughts - always much better... so it gets deleted. BTW if I didn't abide by this rule I'd have over 10K post easy. Just like this post.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

18. Likes:

Raisor (08-24-2013)

The game threads seem the same to me as they always have been, to me it's fun to read someone go from "we are the worst team ever" to "gO reDs" in 10 seconds.
    Go Gators!

20. Likes:

Larkin Fan (08-24-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-24-2013)

Turn Off Ads?