Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Joey Votto and his magically shrinking SLG%

Re: Joey Votto and his magically shrinking SLG%

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Sorry, don't understand your point.

OBI% is a percentage. It has nothing to do with who has more baserunners when he hits. It is the PERCENTAGE of runners a hitter knocks in.

So I guess I don't understand the point.
    I understand it's a percentage and probably didn't put my point very clearly. Obviously it's a great advantage in OBI to have men on 2nd and or 3rd more often, as one would certainly expect of our 4 hitter following two of the game's 10 best OBP people. The statistic also could be said to unfairly punish the home run hitter like Bruce since it doesn't count driving oneself in. But what we really need to know is where those runners are on the basepaths to come up with a meaningful comparison between Phillips and Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bruce and Phillips RBI production is very very similar except BP's ridiculous 1.474 OPS in bases loaded situations where he's produced 24 RBI....Bruce is just 4/17 but 12 RBI

The only other decent difference was Phillips has 44 AB with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs and to Frazier's 31 AB

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Lifetime Bruce has a 24.2% K rate per nine innings. Phillips' is 14.1%. I think Phillips puts the ball in play more because he makes more contact.
    Phillips may make more contact because he sees more pitches in his zone, which may be taken to mean that pitchers do not fear the damage he will do as much as they fear Bruce's.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Phillips may make more contact because he sees more pitches in his zone, which may be taken to mean that pitchers do not fear the damage he will do as much as they fear Bruce's.
    I tend to think Bruce strikes out more because he swings for more power. He doesn't have a controlled swing. Phillips, when he gets two strikes, tries to slap the ball to right field more.

Maybe this year Phillips gets better pitches to hit, but these strikeout percentages are fairly consistent over a pretty long stretch. BP has played quite awhile and his K rates are usually fairly low, certainly compared to Bruce.

Frankly, I don't know what this thread is really about anymore so I'll go my way. I find it odd that we are in a discussion about Joey Votto's hitting. Most of the Reds don't belong in the same stadium, or the same league, as Votto, who is a wonderful and consistent hitter.

6. Likes:

HokieRed (08-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    But what we really need to know is where those runners are on the basepaths to come up with a meaningful comparison between Phillips and Bruce.
    I posted those numbers up thread

Edit: looks like it was on another thread.

You can find those numbers on baseball-reference on the player pages (splits)
    Last edited by Raisor; 08-25-2013 at 06:29 PM.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

8. Likes:

HokieRed (08-26-2013)

8.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Votto's numbers are going to wind up looking just about like they always do.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?