Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: What Happens if the Season Ends in a Tie?

  1. #16
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,557

    Re: What Happens if the Season Ends in a Tie?

    Thunderdome.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  2. Likes:

    klw (08-26-2013), Tom Servo (08-26-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #17
    8.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: What Happens if the Season Ends in a Tie?

    Still not really sure who would be the best 1-game matchup, if the Reds can't pull the division out. May not be a right answer.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  5. #18
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,439

    Re: What Happens if the Season Ends in a Tie?

    162-game playoff. Baseball is a marathon.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  6. #19
    Member Magdal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tn.
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: What Happens if the Season Ends in a Tie?

    Funny thread. We had better hope there is no such tie situation! The Central teams would be beating each others brains out while the East and West winners would be drinking beer and watching on TV as their arms rested. A pitching advantage pretty damn hard to overcome.

    I don't think it can be overstated that winning the division is imperative, and clinching it at least 2 games before seasons end to get the rotation lined up. I don't really like the idea of clinching a week or more before seasons end.

    That may be the situation with LA and Atlanta. Is "losing your edge" a real thing, or just a myth?

  7. #20
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,559

    Re: What Happens if the Season Ends in a Tie?

    I'd rather be the team that clinches a WC with a week left and no shot at the division than the team that keeps trying to win the division until the last day, just misses, and ends up having to start their #4 starter in the WC game. But this whole format really begs for a 6 way tie involving 2 divisions and both WCs.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  8. #21
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Walt's bomb shelter
    Posts
    6,756

    Re: What Happens if the Season Ends in a Tie?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Thunderdome.
    Can't we just get beyond Thunderdome?
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  9. #22
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    14,380

    Re: What Happens if the Season Ends in a Tie?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Can't we just get beyond Thunderdome?
    We don't need another hero
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  10. #23
    Moderator LexRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Posts
    557

    Re: What Happens if the Season Ends in a Tie?

    Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    But this whole format really begs for a 6 way tie involving 2 divisions and both WCs.
    That would be amazing. This year: STL, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, LAD, and Arizona with the same record. Could you imagine? It's probably still mathematically possible, though we all know it won't happen.

  11. #24
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,426

    Re: What Happens if the Season Ends in a Tie?

    If the season had ended yesterday, with the Pirates and Cards tied for the Central lead and the Reds 2.5 back of both for both the division and the WC, there would be 2 1-game playoff games.

    Pirates - Cards would be played first and the loser would have to play a second 1-game playoff at their home against the Reds. So the Reds would get a day off but not know which city they were playing in until the first game was complete. The loser would limp into the WC play-in game having lost a 1-game playoff the day before. Seems like an unusually good scenario for the second-place WC team going into the 1-game playoff.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 08-26-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Grammar fixes.
    /r/reds

  12. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    653

    Re: What Happens if the Season Ends in a Tie?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    If the season had ended yesterday, with the Pirates and Cards tied for the Central lead and the Reds 2.5 back of both for both the division and the WC, there would be 2 1-game playoff games.

    Pirates - Cards would be played first and the loser would have to play a second 1-game playoff at their home against the Reds. So the Reds would get a day off but not know which city they were playing in until the first game was complete. The loser would limp into the WC play-in game having lost a 1-game playoff the day before. Seems like an unusually good scenario for the second-place WC team going into the 1-game playoff.
    I never like playing good teams coming off a loss (as opposed to a bad team coming off a loss, who's apt to just keep losing), so would disagree with your characterization of "limping". A wounded Cardinal or Pirate team knowing they just missed their chance to move ahead to the divisional round, and knowing today is win or go home, would likely be loaded for bear.

  13. #26
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,512

    Re: What Happens if the Season Ends in a Tie?

    Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    I never like playing good teams coming off a loss (as opposed to a bad team coming off a loss, who's apt to just keep losing), so would disagree with your characterization of "limping". A wounded Cardinal or Pirate team knowing they just missed their chance to move ahead to the divisional round, and knowing today is win or go home, would likely be loaded for bear.
    Certainly a fair opinion. But would you rather just play the second place team in a standard wildcard game with both teams on equal rest? I wouldn't. Let the Reds have an off day while the other team has to play and possibly travel for the second time in 2 days.

  14. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    653

    Re: What Happens if the Season Ends in a Tie?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Certainly a fair opinion. But would you rather just play the second place team in a standard wildcard game with both teams on equal rest? I wouldn't. Let the Reds have an off day while the other team has to play and possibly travel for the second time in 2 days.
    In the playoffs, especially early in the playoffs, I don't think it matters. Adrenaline and fear trump "tired". The main thing is, I just don't want to face a pitcher we can't hit. That trumps adrenaline AND "tired".


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25