Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto and his magically shrinking SLG%

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Joey Votto and his magically shrinking SLG%

First off, disclaimer, Joey is probably my favorite Red ever so lets not get out of hand in bashing me over this.

But, we're almost through 5 out of 6 months of baseball, and Joey is fighting to keep his SLG over .500.

I understand offense is down all around, but he has an insanely exceptional contract, and to be *completely* worth it, I think he has to show power closer to the past few years than what he has this year.

Mind you, I am glad he is signed to that contract and I do think he's worth it. But the power numbers worry me, and given the decline's proximity to a season de-railing knee injury, I worry about his ability to bounce back.

2. Likes:

DocRed (08-24-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joey Votto and his magically shrinking SLG%

I love Joey. We all love Joey. We all understand he is a GREAT player. BUT, I think this is something that we can look at and discuss. Joey is just not driving the ball like he has in years passed. In 111 games last year he hit 46 doubles. He has 26 now in about a 130 games. He is a great, great player but I wish he was able to put the ball in the gap and over the wall just a little more this year.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

jredmo2

As far as doubles go, defenses have him scouted pretty well by this point. That probably doesn't account for the dropoff entirely, but those liners he hits down the left field line probably went for more doubles in 2010.

As long as he's slugging around .500 I'm fine.

His defensive lapses bother me more

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-24-2013),Falls City Beer (08-25-2013),mth123 (08-24-2013),Red Raindog (08-24-2013),redsfanmia (08-24-2013)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I blame the "rbis-matter" announcers. They messed with his head.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

While I agree with the "he's still being very productive" argument, we do have a guy who is slugging 50 points below his career average and who has been dealing with knee injuries.

A 156 wRC+ is certainly nothing to complain about, but I for one prefer the 177 wRC+ version. It doesn't take anything away from his current performance; it is merely hoping that he's able to return to his best form.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

10. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (08-24-2013),LexRedsFan (08-24-2013),New York Red (08-24-2013),nmculbreth (08-25-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I love Joey. We all love Joey. We all understand he is a GREAT player. BUT, I think this is something that we can look at and discuss. Joey is just not driving the ball like he has in years passed. In 111 games last year he hit 46 doubles. He has 26 now in about a 130 games. He is a great, great player but I wish he was able to put the ball in the gap and over the wall just a little more this year.
    I can recall that in 2012, before Joey was injured, at one point it appeared he might threaten the single season record for doubles (67). His power does seem to be diminshed.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

12. Likes:

powersackers (08-24-2013)

His ISO is down, no questioning that.

As context for the SLG measurement, there are currently only 22 players in all of MLB with a .500 or better SLG %.

Votto is 24th overall and 4th amongst 1B with his .497.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    His ISO is down, no questioning that.

As context for the SLG measurement, there are currently only 22 players in all of MLB with a .500 or better SLG %.

Votto is 24th overall and 4th amongst 1B with his .497.
    Fourth-best first baseman is not quite what we expect from Votto. Although much of the concern is misplaced, some of it is understandable, especially given the clear marker of his injury.

Jory's OBP more than makes up for the diminishing power

I'm not at all concerned. If his SP is down next year then I might be concerned somewhat. One year can simply be an off season, an under performer type year for that particular number. Every player has them. His OBP is as high as ever. His bat speed does not seem diminished. No one seems to be slipping a fastball past him that didn't use to. And there might have been a subconscious adjustment to his knee injury - I don;t know - something he'll work out of, or maybe there is nothing there at all and this is just a random blip that will look exactly like that next season. Anyway, I am not worried at all. All tht said - extremely high OBP and a slugging of .497? Yeah - that's a heckuva worrisome combo.

Haunted by walks

It is worth noting that Votto's slugging percentage is the highest on the team, higher than the cleanup hitter and the #5 hitter.

18. Likes:

RadfordVA (08-24-2013)

the drop in slugging coupled with his apparent difficulties holding to balls at first base have made me wonder if his left-hand is hurting and he hasn't told anyone.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I wonder if he is having what players, even elite players have.....a down year.....which for him still has him at the top of hitting categories. Enough already.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

21. Likes:

Larkin Fan (08-24-2013),Raisor (08-24-2013),Tom Servo (08-24-2013)

Votto's down year is better than nearly every other NL player's best year.

Turn Off Ads?