Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who is the Most overrated Reds Minor Leaguer?

Re: Who is the Most overrated Reds Minor Leaguer?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    FTR - It seems that the Reds have told SMB that they want to work on him moving to catcher this offseason.

It may not work, but if it does, it would certainly boost his value.
    How often does a moving a position player to catcher in the minors work out?

You often hear about guys moving off of catcher in the minors and even some position players transitioning to catcher in college but I'm not sure I can think of a single player who has successfully transitioned to catcher in the minors.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I see no reason to think Winker would reach double digits with his walks. :-)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    How often does a moving a position player to catcher in the minors work out?

You often hear about guys moving off of catcher in the minors and even some position players transitioning to catcher in college but I'm not sure I can think of a single player who has successfully transitioned to catcher in the minors.
    Teams try it often enough. The Reds have tried it a few times in the past couple of years. Brandon Dailey has stuck at the position. Neftali Soto didn't.

I don't know of any guys in the Majors who were transitioned guys, but there has to be one.

A bit surprised to hear about SMB- I like the idea of trying out athletic guys with plus bats at catcher, especially when there is positional depth where they are coming from...but I thought KJ Franklin could/should be the guy.

SMB had gold glove potential at 3B and could be in Cincy within 2-3 years.
    Franklin is behind Rahier and SMB on the org depth chart both in ability and ETA.
    With Mez, Hanigan and Barnhart, there won't likely be a need at catcher for 4-5 years.
    Go BLUE!!!

Teams try it often enough. The Reds have tried it a few times in the past couple of years. Brandon Dailey has stuck at the position. Neftali Soto didn't.

I don't know of any guys in the Majors who were transitioned guys, but there has to be one.
    Makes no sense to set someone back when he is playing a position....from what I have read....well enough to be able to help there in another 2-4 years.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Makes no sense to set someone back when he is playing a position....from what I have read....well enough to be able to help there in another 2-4 years.
    It makes plenty of sense if you think they have what it takes to play a much tougher position. While third basemen don't exactly grow on trees, they are much more abundant than catchers.

Geovany Soto.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...sotoge01.shtml

Turn Off Ads?