Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is the Most under rated Reds Minor Leaguer

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Who is the Most under rated Reds Minor Leaguer

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This is a tough one. I guess the first question I have to ask is, "under rated compared to what ratings?" My ratings? Baseball America? Baseball Prospectus? John Sickels? Jonathan Mayo? General Redszone feelings?

My initial thought, and it may sound crazy when I say it, is Robert Stephenson. When I see national rankings and see 5+ other pitchers ranked ahead of him, I just can't wrap my head around it. When Mayo ranked Billy Hamilton ahead of Stephenson, I couldn't figure it out.

To me, it matters more that a guy like Stephenson is underrated than if a guy in the 20's or 30's in his own system might need to be up 5 spots.
    http://sbb.scout.com/2/1319654.html

Robert Stephenson is ranked 32nd best prospect in rankings that came out today. Ahead of him is a 19 year old coming off of Tommy John with under 30 innings pitched in A-ball.

Underrated.

2. Turn Off Ads?

We all know Stephenson will be good, so it's hardly a risk to call him underrated -- unless you want to say he's going to win a Cy Young.

Tough question, but for me the guy who's raised his stock most w/out getting much public acclaim is Mejias Brean. Very impressive the way he has been grinding in the second half.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Josh Smith

5. Likes:

camisadelgolf (08-27-2013),powersackers (08-27-2013)

Jackson Stephens. 19 years old in A ball, good size, 3.53 fip.

7. Likes:

RedlegJake (08-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    http://sbb.scout.com/2/1319654.html

Robert Stephenson is ranked 32nd best prospect in rankings that came out today. Ahead of him is a 19 year old coming off of Tommy John with under 30 innings pitched in A-ball.

Underrated.
    I'd put him ahead of Bundy and Gausman and situate him somewhere on the list around 20. So yep, underrated by this guy.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by V-Red View Post
    Jackson Stephens. 19 years old in A ball, good size, 3.53 fip.
    FIP in the minor leagues is pretty useless to me. I am a big numbers believer, but FIP is built around things that work in the Majors. They work in the Majors because at that level, the guys in the 15-85% range of the league are all pretty close in overall talent (with the bottom 15% and top 15% being separated from the rest quite well). In the minor leagues though you don't always have that in a given league.

With that said, I have been saying for a while now that Stephens is a guy that people should be talking about but aren't.

Turn Off Ads?