Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is the Most under rated Reds Minor Leaguer

Who is the Most under rated Reds Minor Leaguer

Juan Silva.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is the Most under rated Reds Minor Leaguer

Juan Duran- I think he is starting to come around and his rating has fallen far below the potential.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

This is a tough one. I guess the first question I have to ask is, "under rated compared to what ratings?" My ratings? Baseball America? Baseball Prospectus? John Sickels? Jonathan Mayo? General Redszone feelings?

My initial thought, and it may sound crazy when I say it, is Robert Stephenson. When I see national rankings and see 5+ other pitchers ranked ahead of him, I just can't wrap my head around it. When Mayo ranked Billy Hamilton ahead of Stephenson, I couldn't figure it out.

To me, it matters more that a guy like Stephenson is underrated than if a guy in the 20's or 30's in his own system might need to be up 5 spots.

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-25-2013),klw (08-25-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-25-2013)

The interesting thing about under/over rated discussions is that there is no right or wrong formula for your opinion. "The Stark Truth" by Jason Stark is a book entirely about just that.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I also feel like Stephenson is underrated by some, but to add to the discussion, I will go with Jesse Winker. Some may feel like he has regressed because he isn't hitting .338 like last year. He is now rocking a .281 BA, but it is with a much more sustainable BABIP. His walk rate is still extraordinary and he has cut down his K rate by almost 3% this year while also hitting for more power. I think Winker will be an impact player in Cincinnati.

8. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (08-27-2013),mth123 (08-25-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-25-2013),REDREAD (08-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I also feel like Stephenson is underrated by some, but to add to the discussion, I will go with Jesse Winker. Some may feel like he has regressed because he isn't hitting .338 like last year. He is now rocking a .281 BA, but it is with a much more sustainable BABIP. His walk rate is still extraordinary and he has cut down his K rate by almost 3% this year while also hitting for more power. I think Winker will be an impact player in Cincinnati.
    My thoughts exactly.

If we're going under the radar completely types, I'll go with Tim Crabbe. I think he has the arm to be the next JJ Hoover. A move to the pen might make him pretty tough.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Resident PED Expert

Kyle Waldrop

.344 .577 .920 over the second half of the season (215 AB's)

Had a rough rough start to the season, .274 .391 .665 (256 AB's)

3 months younger than Duran. Shows more power than Duran 55 XBH vs 31.

XBH every 12.16 for Duran / 8.53 for Waldrop.

LHB who crushes LHP (.333 .496 .829)

Achilles heel is doesn't walk a ton. That number is skewed by only 3 BB vs 115 AB's vs LHP. But with a .304 BAA I'd be swinging too...

26 BB in 356 AB vs RHP which is more acceptable.

With all the attention on Hamilton, Winker, Ervin, Yorman, Duran and even Arias this year I think his development is somewhat underappreciated and unnoticed.

Reds are deep in talent in the OF which could get him lost in the shuffle.

I'll go with Tucker Barnhardt. Seems like Ryan Hanigan 2.0 to me.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

12. Likes:

mdccclxix (08-26-2013),RedlegJake (08-26-2013)

Waldrop, Barnhart, Silva all seem distinctly underrated to me.

14. Likes:

powersackers (08-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I probably rank him higher than Ervin offensively right now, but I wonder if anyone who watches Dayton could describe whether he's a pull happy hitter? His spray chart seemed to indicate he (and Ervin) could use more of the field. Either way, at 19 years old, he's kicking butt.

Rick stole my pick!

Barnhardt is going to be a great platoon guy with Mez in 2015. I don't know about development, but I think he should drop his RH batting and just stick with his LH game. He's a great hitter from that side of the plate and could end up leaving the Reds with the option to replace Mez longterm, or move him to 3b or LF if he is an .800 OPS bat by then (which I think he will be). Barnhardt is a top 5 guy for me, I think.

I'll go with someone who has surprisingly not been mentioned yet: Seth Mejias-Brean.

Mejias-Brean hit .313/.389/.536 - .925 OPS with Billings last year after being drafted out of Arizona. He's described as being a very athletic guy who put on great HR displays in batting practice but the power never showed up in games. Well, he belted 8 HR in 179 atbats with Billings. He started this season off very poorly, but has rebounded to hit .307/.384/.450 - .834 OPS with Dayton, including something like a .340 BA and .900+ OPS since May 12th. He's also considered a great defensive 3B. He seems like a guy that could profile as an above average 3B at the major league level.

18. Likes:

HokieRed (08-26-2013),texasdave (08-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'll go with someone who has surprisingly not been mentioned yet: Seth Mejias-Brean.

Mejias-Brean hit .313/.389/.536 - .925 OPS with Billings last year after being drafted out of Arizona. He's described as being a very athletic guy who put on great HR displays in batting practice but the power never showed up in games. Well, he belted 8 HR in 179 atbats with Billings. He started this season off very poorly, but has rebounded to hit .307/.384/.450 - .834 OPS with Dayton, including something like a .340 BA and .900+ OPS since May 12th. He's also considered a great defensive 3B. He seems like a guy that could profile as an above average 3B at the major league level.
    Agreed, but at this time next year I'd hope to see him playing very well in Pensacola
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Here is my list of potential MLB regulars:

Winker
    Ervin
    Barnhart
    Yorman

So far, these are the only offensive players that could deserve an underrated grade, if the goal is to play MLB ball everyday.

SMB, as a 22 year old in low A, still has a lot to prove. I can see him adding some defensive positions and getting more playing time that way, but he at least has given himself some consideration with his plate discipline. I just don't count him as one that should be rated that highly. If he's top ten for the Reds, that just means the Reds farm isn't that deep at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

Hasn't he been playing at 1B this season?

Turn Off Ads?