Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Must Be the Only One

I Must Be the Only One

Hey All....New here...lifelong Reds fan...out of the burbs...grew up in Englewood, Ohio....

Need to vent about Thom Brennaman. I'm really starting to think i'm the only one who can't stand the guy!!!

Marty doesn't bother me...I know a lot of people give him grief...but Thom is AWFUL!!! I've never heard a broadcaster be so negative toward the team that is PAYING HIM!!! Seems to me, he talks more about how great the other team is!

I can't even listen to the games he's calling....he's nothing but negative....all my opinion of course. But the sooner he's gone, the better.

Ok, rant over. Pile on....still happy to be here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I Must Be the Only One

Line forms behind me

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-26-2013),Larkin Fan (08-25-2013),reds1869 (08-26-2013),redsfanmia (08-25-2013),Tom Servo (08-26-2013)

Hilarious. Thom honestly should be treated like a local Icon if you ask me. This is an A+++ type of announcer that has decided to put his reputation in jeopardy to call games for our lowly Reds. The fact that anyone would even think about talking down on Thom is beyond ridiculous.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

You are not the only one, Thom is brutal.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

7. Likes:

BABIP (08-27-2013),Larkin Fan (08-25-2013),reds1869 (08-26-2013),remdog (08-25-2013),westofyou (08-25-2013)

I like Thom. He tells it like it is instead of sugarcoating it. Can't stand Marty though.

I don't mind an announcer telling it like it is, and they lose all respect for me if they refuse to criticize the team that pays them, when they deserve it. Thom, however, I find to be very opinionated, and nearly universally incorrect in his opinions. My understanding is that he was recently diagnosed with "Cowherd's Disease", so I don't really blame him for this, but it is a sad thing to witness.

jvs

10. Likes:

dfs (08-25-2013),joshua (08-27-2013),RedsfaninMT (09-03-2013)

I like Thom and Marty. Personally, I don't get too riled up over announcers and the only guy I don't like to listen to is Chris Berman.

Oddly enough, I really liked the Thom's call when he's part of a national broadcast team doind the reds. When he's part of the local reds broadcast....he's a different guy.

Not sure why.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

13. Likes:

George Anderson (08-25-2013),Joseph (08-25-2013),joshua (08-27-2013),marcshoe (08-26-2013),Number_Fourteen (08-25-2013),Old NDN (08-25-2013),REDREAD (08-27-2013),reds1869 (08-26-2013),westofyou (08-25-2013)

Thom kills me when he goes off on his nightly rant. A lot of times it's far out there, and you can tell Chris or Cowboy are wondering what the heck Thom is going on about. Sometimes the rant is obviously practiced and staged. I find him to be pompous.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Oddly enough, I really liked the Thom's call when he's part of a national broadcast team doind the reds. When he's part of the local reds broadcast....he's a different guy.

Not sure why.
    Great point!!

I was excited when Thom joined the Reds much in the same way I was when Jr joined the Reds from Seattle. Jr had his moments but overall a disappointing tenure here, the same goes for Thom so far.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Marty and Thom seem to think the game is soooooo easy. Thom's many times nightly call of, "And <insert player name here> takes a fastball RIGHT. DOWN. THE. MIDDLE" with obvious disgust; as if it doesn't happen in every game about 20 times. And his high pitched voice inflections about nothing exciting. And him saying, "Cowboy" 1000 times a night.

Other than all that, he's my boy.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (08-27-2013)

Don't understand rants on announcers. Not everyone is Vin Scully. I think it's just a tired idea to bash announcers. Thom does a fine job and nothing worthy of being ranted on. Just makes me laugh the things people complain about in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsSnob View Post
    Don't understand rants on announcers. Not everyone is Vin Scully. I think it's just a tired idea to bash announcers. Thom does a fine job and nothing worthy of being ranted on. Just makes me laugh the things people complain about in the grand scheme of things.
    Your very first post on this board kinda makes you come across as an elitist "SportsSnob".
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by SportsSnob View Post
    I think it's a tired idea to rant about people ranting about the people delivering the action to the fan base on the airwaves myself, and obviously if Thom did such a fine job and was above any critical look at his body of work as a Reds announcer then he'd be the first one ever lucky enough to hold that distinction.

21. Likes:

Larkin Fan (08-26-2013)

Thom's many times nightly call of, "And <insert player name here> takes a fastball RIGHT. DOWN. THE. MIDDLE" with obvious disgust
    And just because he says so. Because often it's not right down the middle.

Turn Off Ads?