Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Must Be the Only One

Re: I Must Be the Only One

I didnt like how Tom made a point to say tonight on the air how the Cardinal fans showed up 35,000 strong on a school night.. HMM if the Reds had the success the Cardinals have had WINNING a WORLD SERIES 2 TIMES in the PAST few years and being in the post season every year and their ownership goes and gets whats needed, drafts better players than the Reds, THEN you would see fans here excited instead of how frustrating seeing this team fail against the better teams every year!! Winning a World Series will sell tickets.. and not just being a flash in the pan and just making it. taking the next steps to be better does that.

2. Likes:

CoachBombay (08-28-2013),dfs (08-27-2013),REDREAD (08-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I will admit that I was mightily confused by the lack of attendance at the GOB the last couple of series the Cardinals were in Cinci... even during the weekend games. You could see huge patches of empty seats. I would have sworn those tickets would be HOT.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Why does Fox allow him to do playoff games?
    Because he and Rupert Murdoch shared a mexican meal at the burrito buggy in Athens back in the day?

6. Likes:

CoachBombay (08-28-2013)

Hilarious. Thom honestly should be treated like a local Icon if you ask me. This is an A+++ type of announcer that has decided to put his reputation in jeopardy to call games for our lowly Reds. The fact that anyone would even think about talking down on Thom is beyond ridiculous.
    He should be paying the reds for the privilege to announce for them!

This is a man that has called National Championship College Football games. Countless NFL playoff and College BCS games, countless MLB playoff games and he came home in 2007 when the Reds were on of the worst teams around and it had been like that for some time and Thom came home and commited the majority of his summer to watch that garbage. When it comes to sports in this town, there is not one person I respect more than Thom. I just hope the Reds are able to keep him.
    You act like he's being enslaved!! I'm sure you he's paid quite well and had every choice in the world to not be "commited the majority of his summer to watch that garbage"

Thom's horrible. He's negative beyond negative. Him and joe buck have the same mother...I'm convinced. How the reds keep him....dude's horrible...nfl games too. I PRAY nfl hires him enough where i NEVER have to hear his voice during a reds game again.

Thom needs to get a job as the ball washer for Yadier Molina...seems to be his favorite player ever!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CardsFanBob View Post
    I will admit that I was mightily confused by the lack of attendance at the GOB the last couple of series the Cardinals were in Cinci... even during the weekend games. You could see huge patches of empty seats. I would have sworn those tickets would be HOT.
    Maybe it's just me.. but the Cardinals are the last team I want to drive down to the GAB to see.
    It's demoralizing watching the Reds lose to them on a regular basis.
    I have more fun watching the Reds play a lesser team live.
    I'd rather watch a frustrating game at home on the TV.

The Card fans were probably licking their chops at the thought of the Reds coming in.. Even when they were down 4-0 (?) they probably thought they would come back, and they did..
    Let's be honest.. when the Reds were up 4-0, I felt good, but at the same time I was thinking .. "Man, I hope this is enough".
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I enjoy both Thom and Marty. I don't always agree with their style, but I do enjoy listening to them. I wish Thom would do more games on the radio.

On the TV side, thinking about some of the guys who used to do their games, I'm talking before George Grande (Steve Physioc, Ken Wilson, Ray Lane, Steve Lamar) come to mind). It's much better today.

However, I do agree with the one poster, enough with the Cowboy references to Jeff Brantley.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfansince72 View Post
    I didnt like how Tom made a point to say tonight on the air how the Cardinal fans showed up 35,000 strong on a school night.. HMM if the Reds had the success the Cardinals have had WINNING a WORLD SERIES 2 TIMES in the PAST few years and being in the post season every year and their ownership goes and gets whats needed, drafts better players than the Reds, THEN you would see fans here excited instead of how frustrating seeing this team fail against the better teams every year!! Winning a World Series will sell tickets.. and not just being a flash in the pan and just making it. taking the next steps to be better does that.
    Whose fault is it, that the Reds don't "get the job done" on the field enough to draw 35k on a school night?

Is that Thom's fault too?

Don't get me wrong, he's not my favorite announcer, but he's better than Kelch, and he's better than Grande, just to name two.

The amount of venom on this board, toward anyone who dares criticize the Redlegs, is ASTOUNDING, even for a team board. Marty, Thom, Doc, whoever.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Hilarious. Thom honestly should be treated like a local Icon if you ask me. This is an A+++ type of announcer that has decided to put his reputation in jeopardy to call games for our lowly Reds. The fact that anyone would even think about talking down on Thom is beyond ridiculous.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Thom is the worst broadcaster i have ever heard doing reds games. Welsh is constantly correcting him in a subtle way that Thom does even realize it's happening. He's actually better on national broadcasts where he doesn't
    try to ingratiate himself to the home team as he does when he's doing the Reds games. Aalthough marty is not my favorite (his ego has been out of control for many years) he is 5x better that his offspring.

When Thom does Saturday games for FOX, he's pretty good. He's not affiliated with either team, he just calls the game, and does a good job of it.

When he's on FSN or WLW, he grates on my nerves. Every time the Reds do ANYTHING wrong, he can't stop whining and using that ridiculous tone of voice that implies he knows everything about the game.

However, when someone gets a walkoff hit, his calls are pretty entertaining.

15. Likes:

CrimeDoc (09-06-2013)

I forgot to mention another thing that bugs me. When someone gets a hit with RISP he always cheers: "They're gonna WAAAAAAAVE him around!"

It annoys me almost as much as George Grande's "It's gonna BEEEEeeeeeEEEEE"

Quote Originally Posted by CrimeDoc View Post
    Hey All....New here...lifelong Reds fan...out of the burbs...grew up in Englewood, Ohio....

Need to vent about Thom Brennaman. I'm really starting to think i'm the only one who can't stand the guy!!!

Marty doesn't bother me...I know a lot of people give him grief...but Thom is AWFUL!!! I've never heard a broadcaster be so negative toward the team that is PAYING HIM!!! Seems to me, he talks more about how great the other team is!

I can't even listen to the games he's calling....he's nothing but negative....all my opinion of course. But the sooner he's gone, the better.

Ok, rant over. Pile on....still happy to be here!
    Hey, CrimeDoc. I grew up in Vandalia. I have to admit I don't like Marty or Thom when they get negative. But they are talented and have the ability to make the game enjoyable. I'm glad we have them.

How u doin

did it ever occur that maybe he is a huge fan of the team he did grow up in Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan08 View Post
    did it ever occur that maybe he is a huge fan of the team he did grow up in Cincinnati
    Glad someone else beat me to this. Read over some posts here re: the team, Dusty, plate appearances, etc and you'll quickly understand Thom Brennaman (and Marty). I don't see those guys as negative, I see them as being honest and expressing themselves appropriately, and from the looks of things on this board they echo the feelings of a majority of fans here. So, Thom and Marty should be ecstatic and cheerful about the team going 4-6 (so far) in the most crucial stretch of the season? I don't think so. They're not perfect, they don't always get it right, but they are far and abaove better than about 75% of team play-by-play guys. Try listening to some other team's broadcasts (outside of the obvious big gun talent, on the calibre of the Brennamans). Its excruciating more often than not. One needs to look no further than the Bengals' color man (no clue who it is) who cheers like its his son's HS football game during the broadcast as the play by play guy tries to call the game. And has a forgettable voice.

I'd rather have an honest reaction to the team than some sunny, faux-positivity from the likes of Jim Day and Jeff Piecoro...now there are a couple sucky on-air personalities (and I use "personalities" quite liberally).
    "I had a cigar in my back pocket...I didn't wanna break it." - Bartholomew "Bump" Bailey

Turn Off Ads?