Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sabermetric Question

Re: Sabermetric Question

wOBA is a stat similar to OPS but it factors in basestealing as well. You can find it on Fangraphs. Most sabre types consider wOBA the best offensive metric.

2. Likes:

RedsManRick (08-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

quick and dirty ....

you add the bases aquired to slugging percentage sb - 2 (caught stealing) x .67= bases gained and you add that to slugging perentage.

billy hamilton for example: 73 sb -2 x (14 caught stealing) x .67 = 30 bases. You take those 30 bases and you add them to the number of total bases (168) and that gives you 198...making his adjusted rate .410 slugging percentage. It's quick and dirty but this formula factors in much of what was done in the other formulas mentioned above, but it cuts out about 4 steps.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    wOBA is a stat similar to OPS but it factors in basestealing as well. You can find it on Fangraphs. Most sabre types consider wOBA the best offensive metric.
    I don't think wOBA includes SB any longer:

This stat accounts for the following aspects of hitting: unintentional walks, hit-by-pitches, singles, doubles, triples, home runs. Stolen-bases and caught stealing numbers used to be included as well on FanGraphs, but they are now instead accounted for with the stats UBR and wSB. This way, wOBA accounts for just a player’s production at the plate.

Can we use this thread for any sabermetric questions? I think that would be great rather than starting a new thread every time a question pops into my or someone else's head.

Here's one. The other day BP took charge of a high pop up in foul ground which should have been Votto's ball (around the dugout). Now granted that is one play in a sea of plays BP will make all year, but does that count as a "great" play when figuring UZR?

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Can we use this thread for any sabermetric questions? I think that would be great rather than starting a new thread every time a question pops into my or someone else's head.

Here's one. The other day BP took charge of a high pop up in foul ground which should have been Votto's ball (around the dugout). Now granted that is one play in a sea of plays BP will make all year, but does that count as a "great" play when figuring UZR?
    I'm guessing that counts as an "Out of Zone" play.

Unless it's regularly made by other 2B, then it's just a "play."

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I'm guessing that counts as an "Out of Zone" play.

Unless it's regularly made by other 2B, then it's just a "play."
    Follow up:

If it was in Votto's zone, does it effect his zone rating if BP makes the play?

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Follow up:

If it was in Votto's zone, does it effect his zone rating if BP makes the play?
    No.

Let’s say that that same batted ball in the example above was caught by the CF’er on the first play of a game...

The LF’er, even though he typically catches that same ball 10% of the time, gets no demerits for not making the play. In UZR, when a ball is caught and turned into an out by one fielder, no other fielder gets docked any runs. This helps to minimize the effects of “ball-hogging.”

High-five

This. If you're looking for an aggregate measure of offensive performance that includes the variety of ways of contributing offensively, wOBA is the way to go.

Also, consider looking at wRC+, which is the indexed version of wOBA relative to league average.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

This is a little off topic, but I found this earlier this summer on The Hardball Times site and thought it interesting. It is pretty involved but basically breaks the responsibility for a stolen base down to the runner, pitcher, and catcher.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...ing-run-value/
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I don't think wOBA includes SB any longer:
    Hmmm. Interesting. I hadn't heard of that change. It must have been a very recent change. I will have to look into that. Thanks for mentioning it.

Hmmm. Interesting. I hadn't heard of that change. It must have been a very recent change. I will have to look into that. Thanks for mentioning it.
    My bad. It appears that they've since broken it out.

In that case, consider looking at: wRAA for the hitting value & UBR for the total baserunning value (includes both SB & other base-running activity)
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?