Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: Not playing Ludwick?

  1. #1
    Member Magdal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tn.
    Posts
    1,284

    Not playing Ludwick?

    You see, this stuff is the reason that I think Baker is a complete freaking idiot. Lud is absolutely the most well rested slugger in baseball, and he sits because of past ABs vs. the pitcher??! Over how many seasons? BULL!

    And what's up with Frazier with his Pete Kosma batting average batting 2nd, between Choo and Votto, instead of 8th? How can the writers let Dusty get away with that?

    You won't get the best out of Ludwick if he is Jerked around like LaRussa did him. You PASTE him #5 in the lineup 'till the season is over. Then you got 5 dangerous hitters in a row.

    Plugging a stiff in between those guys make no sense at all.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,703

    Re: Not playing Ludwick?

    Ludwick is 35 and has reached the point in his career where he needs a couple days off every week (if not more). Day game after a night game is an automatic sit for him. Another reason the Reds really missed the boat by passing on David Dejesus. Dejesus could be getting those extra starts with Heisey available to rest Choo in CF. All they needed to do was jettison a suspect like Ravin or Lotzkar to make a 40 man spot and hide Paul or Hannahan on the DL for a couple weeks.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  4. Likes:

    Edd Roush (08-26-2013)

  5. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,533

    Re: Not playing Ludwick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    You see, this stuff is the reason that I think Baker is a complete freaking idiot. Lud is absolutely the most well rested slugger in baseball, and he sits because of past ABs vs. the pitcher??! Over how many seasons? BULL!

    And what's up with Frazier with his Pete Kosma batting average batting 2nd, between Choo and Votto, instead of 8th? How can the writers let Dusty get away with that?

    You won't get the best out of Ludwick if he is Jerked around like LaRussa did him. You PASTE him #5 in the lineup 'till the season is over. Then you got 5 dangerous hitters in a row.

    Plugging a stiff in between those guys make no sense at all.
    Ludwick has been relatively inactive in baseball for months, and is basically in spring training. Baker sitting him in a day game after a night game is just common sense, especially with the series with the Cards coming up. Most rested slugger? That's akin to saying that when Cueto comes back from the disabled list he should be good to go 5 days in a row he's so well rested. Ludwick wasn't taking a breather those last 4 months, he was injured.

    Frazier is no Pete Kozma, the worst hitter in the major leagues. Frazier has an OBA which is above average at .320.

    How can the writers let him get away with it? Firstly, I didn't know the writers were in charge of the team. Secondly, maybe they don't get on his case because he's isn't wrong. I note you didn't suggest the obvious replacement in the #2 spot.

  6. Likes:

    HeatherC1212 (08-26-2013)

  7. #4

    Re: Not playing Ludwick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    You see, this stuff is the reason that I think Baker is a complete freaking idiot. Lud is absolutely the most well rested slugger in baseball, and he sits because of past ABs vs. the pitcher??! Over how many seasons? BULL!

    And what's up with Frazier with his Pete Kosma batting average batting 2nd, between Choo and Votto, instead of 8th? How can the writers let Dusty get away with that?

    You won't get the best out of Ludwick if he is Jerked around like LaRussa did him. You PASTE him #5 in the lineup 'till the season is over. Then you got 5 dangerous hitters in a row.

    Plugging a stiff in between those guys make no sense at all.
    Just my thoughts , I think that the reason Frazier is in the two hole is that he will see better pitches behind Votto.
    Ludwick, It looked to me like he was a little shaken up on the run in at home plate.
    I know (think)that Baker makes moves that I wouldn't make, But then again Sparky Anderson did too,
    Idiot is such a strong word.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

  8. Likes:

    RANDY IN INDY (08-26-2013)

  9. #5
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,012

    Re: Not playing Ludwick?

    I don't doubt that Ludwick is still experiencing a lot of soreness in his shoulder. They aren't going to publicly talk about that and I don't doubt that is the reason as much as anything he is setting out many of these day games after night games. IMO, anything we get from Ludwick is gravy this season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  10. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,003

    Re: Not playing Ludwick?

    I gotta agree with the OP here....no way do you rest Luddy right now....you paste him in the lineup at the 5 spot and you say, "Luddy, you'll get a rest when the season is over"....now, I am all for giving the guy a break in later innings when we have the lead or are getting beat bad but I am not at all for not starting him....the fact that he has been out of baseball all season is even more reason to start him every game...he is fresh...we didnt sit Votto in April and May so he could get some rest.....the top 5-6 guys in our lineup need to be put there like concrete....we have off days and its not hard to get luddy out of there in 7th inning with double switches...

    Dusty takes a lot of heat, I will be the first to light that fire most times, but I will also be the first to admit that 50% of the heat dusty gets is not warranted....Dusty is a dam good manager and I actually like the guy over our past options aside from Jack Mckeon(I loved me some Jack).....but this is a direct result of Dusty over thinking the game of baseball which is exactly why he gets the heat the other 50% of the time and that heat is much warranted.

    Dusty tries to hard to keep his players fresh/happy....he needs to worry more about winning games and less about making his guys happy....yes I am sure he thought Luddy needed a break but I would bet my last Peso that Dusty made that choice more so to play his bench guys and keep them happy than he did it for Luddys rest.

    I would not take the Managers job if Walt begged me...its a tough job and there truly is no right choices to make when you lose a game, people will hindsight you to death. But there are some choices that Dusty makes that I simply sit on my recliner and almost fall out of it from shock at his moves....

    If we dont take 5 out of 7 from the Cardinals over the next 10 days then Dusty needs to start praying for a Diamonback collapse because we are not playing great baseball.....I know we all look at stats but when you are scoring 1-2 runs a game once a series then you need to figure a way to keep your good hitters in the lineup at all times....We need to win the Central.....we are not fitted for a 1 game playoff. we need those 2 games in a 5 game series for blunders.....we will be a hard team to beat in a series, but that 1 game playoff does not bode well for us at all when we are darn near being shut down every 3rd game.....

  11. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,168

    Re: Not playing Ludwick?

    Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post

    If we dont take 5 out of 7 from the Cardinals over the next 10 days then Dusty needs to start praying for a Diamonback collapse because we are not playing great baseball.....I know we all look at stats but when you are scoring 1-2 runs a game once a series then you need to figure a way to keep your good hitters in the lineup at all times....We need to win the Central.....we are not fitted for a 1 game playoff. we need those 2 games in a 5 game series for blunders.....we will be a hard team to beat in a series, but that 1 game playoff does not bode well for us at all when we are darn near being shut down every 3rd game.....
    In order for the Reds to make the playoffs, they'll need a team that is 3 games over .500 and 7 games behind them to collapse? Really?

    The Reds might not be playing spectacularly, but they are 13-7 over their last 20 games and 17-13 over the last 30, both marks better than the Pirates and Cardinals.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

  12. Likes:

    Always Red (08-26-2013), AtomicDumpling (08-26-2013), dubc47834 (08-26-2013), RadfordVA (08-26-2013)

  13. #8

    Re: Not playing Ludwick?

    Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I gotta agree with the OP here....no way do you rest Luddy right now....you paste him in the lineup at the 5 spot and you say, "Luddy, you'll get a rest when the season is over"....now, I am all for giving the guy a break in later innings when we have the lead or are getting beat bad but I am not at all for not starting him....the fact that he has been out of baseball all season is even more reason to start him every game...he is fresh...we didnt sit Votto in April and May so he could get some rest.....the top 5-6 guys in our lineup need to be put there like concrete....we have off days and its not hard to get luddy out of there in 7th inning with double switches...

    Dusty takes a lot of heat, I will be the first to light that fire most times, but I will also be the first to admit that 50% of the heat dusty gets is not warranted....Dusty is a dam good manager and I actually like the guy over our past options aside from Jack Mckeon(I loved me some Jack).....]"but this is a direct result of Dusty over thinking the game of baseball which is exactly why he gets the heat the other 50% of the time and that heat is much warranted.

    Dusty tries to hard to keep his players fresh/happy....he needs to worry more about winning games and less about making his guys happy....yes I am sure he thought Luddy needed a break but I would bet my last Peso that Dusty made that choice more so to play his bench guys and keep them happy than he did it for Luddys rest.

    I would not take the Managers job if Walt begged me...its a tough job and there truly is no right choices to make when you lose a game, people will hindsight you to death. But there are some choices that Dusty makes that I simply sit on my recliner and almost fall out of it from shock at his moves....

    If we dont take 5 out of 7 from the Cardinals over the next 10 days then Dusty needs to start praying for a Diamonback collapse because we are not playing great baseball.....I know we all look at stats but when you are scoring 1-2 runs a game once a series then you need to figure a way to keep your good hitters in the lineup at all times....We need to win the Central.....we are not fitted for a 1 game playoff. we need those 2 games in a 5 game series for blunders.....we will be a hard team to beat in a series, but that 1 game playoff does not bode well for us at all when we are darn near being shut down every 3rd game.....
    "]but this is a direct result of Dusty over thinking the game of baseball which is exactly why he gets the heat the other 50% of the time and that heat is much warranted."
    Do you know what Dusty was thinking or did you just pull that out?
    Last edited by Hubba; 08-26-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

  14. #9
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,152

    Re: Not playing Ludwick?

    Dusty rested Ludwick regularly last year when he was healthy.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  15. #10
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,226

    Re: Not playing Ludwick?

    Idiot eh? Jeez what a load

  16. Likes:

    dubc47834 (08-26-2013), Mutaman (08-26-2013)

  17. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,533

    Re: Not playing Ludwick?

    [QUOTE=lidspinner;2948166]....the fact that he has been out of baseball all season is even more reason to start him every game...he is fresh...
    If we dont take 5 out of 7 from the Cardinals over the next 10 days then Dusty needs to start praying for a Diamonback collapse because we are not playing great baseball.....[QUOTE]

    (1) Ludwick wasn't snoozing during those 4 months of rehab. He's no fresher than any of the other Red's regulars.

    (2) We need to win 5 of 7 over the next 10 days or hope for a Diamondbacks crash? You might want to look at that math again. It's the Diamondbakcs who are dreaming that we crash.

  18. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: Not playing Ludwick?

    I was reading a game thread when Ludwick and Heisey hit there HR's. Immediately, a number of people jumped in with: "Well he's on the bench tomorrow." Know what, they were right! It's Dusty's 'super-seacret move' to throw the other managers off. I think he learned it from Hank Aaron. He never misses a chance to tell us he played with him!

    I have no confidence that this team will do well in a 1-game playoff. I have even less confidence that this team will grow to its' full potential with Dusty at the Helm.

    Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

  19. Likes:

    Old school 1983 (08-27-2013)

  20. #13
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,268

    Re: Not playing Ludwick?

    Dude is old as sin and coming off a major shoulder injury. The fact anybody questions giving him plenty of rest is hilarious.

    Ludwick isn't being "jerked" around. He is the clear and unquestioned starter in LF. He's just being handled with caution as he comes back from injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  21. Likes:

    Brutus (08-26-2013), dubc47834 (08-26-2013), HeatherC1212 (08-26-2013), RedEye (08-26-2013), westofyou (08-26-2013)

  22. #14
    Member kbrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Not playing Ludwick?

    Did no one else catch the Ludwick post game interview with FSO a few days ago. Ludwick himself said he is still sore and needs to be eased back in. This isn't a Dusty thing. It is a 35 year old who hasn't really swung a bat in 4 months thing.

    And Frazier is hitting 2nd and even if I completely disagree with the Dusty logic for hitting him 2nd I'm glad Dusty has him there. He can get on base and that's what they have been missing between Choo and Votto.

  23. Likes:

    dubc47834 (08-26-2013), marcshoe (08-26-2013)

  24. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    353

    Re: Not playing Ludwick?

    The OP is, to my mind, proof that Dusty is going to be criticized basically no matter what he does.

    First, it makes good sense to sit Ludwick yesterday: he's still recovering, he is still getting into playing shape, it's a day game following a night game, and it's the game before an enormous series against STL. I'd be much more annoyed if he played rather than if he sat.

    As for Frazier, while we haven't seen the results yet, I have no problem trying to jumpstart Frazier's bat by putting him in front of Votto. The logic is certainly sound. I don't think there is a major league manager that would do anything different than Choo first and Votto third (not to say that there aren't arguments for, for example, Votto batting second - I'm just saying that no manager would do it different), and once you have those guys penned in those lineup spots, there just isn't an ideal two-hole hitter on this team.

  25. Likes:

    CySeymour (08-26-2013), dubc47834 (08-26-2013), pahster (08-26-2013), powersackers (08-26-2013), westofyou (08-26-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25