Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not playing Ludwick?

Re: Not playing Ludwick?

If he had played Ludwick and he'd gone 0-4 someone would have called Dusty and idiot for NOT resting him.

2. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-26-2013), Revering4Blue (08-26-2013), Tommyjohn25 (08-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

One of the more ridiculous premises I have seen in a thread lately.

I'm sure Ludwick is involved in the decision making of his own playing time (ie. Reds will use him as much as he can handle).

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I gotta agree with the OP here....no way do you rest Luddy right now....you paste him in the lineup at the 5 spot and you say, "Luddy, you'll get a rest when the season is over"....now, I am all for giving the guy a break in later innings when we have the lead or are getting beat bad but I am not at all for not starting him....the fact that he has been out of baseball all season is even more reason to start him every game...he is fresh...we didnt sit Votto in April and May so he could get some rest.....the top 5-6 guys in our lineup need to be put there like concrete....we have off days and its not hard to get luddy out of there in 7th inning with double switches...

Dusty takes a lot of heat, I will be the first to light that fire most times, but I will also be the first to admit that 50% of the heat dusty gets is not warranted....Dusty is a dam good manager and I actually like the guy over our past options aside from Jack Mckeon(I loved me some Jack).....but this is a direct result of Dusty over thinking the game of baseball which is exactly why he gets the heat the other 50% of the time and that heat is much warranted.

Dusty tries to hard to keep his players fresh/happy....he needs to worry more about winning games and less about making his guys happy....yes I am sure he thought Luddy needed a break but I would bet my last Peso that Dusty made that choice more so to play his bench guys and keep them happy than he did it for Luddys rest.

I would not take the Managers job if Walt begged me...its a tough job and there truly is no right choices to make when you lose a game, people will hindsight you to death. But there are some choices that Dusty makes that I simply sit on my recliner and almost fall out of it from shock at his moves....

If we dont take 5 out of 7 from the Cardinals over the next 10 days then Dusty needs to start praying for a Diamonback collapse because we are not playing great baseball.....I know we all look at stats but when you are scoring 1-2 runs a game once a series then you need to figure a way to keep your good hitters in the lineup at all times....We need to win the Central.....we are not fitted for a 1 game playoff. we need those 2 games in a 5 game series for blunders.....we will be a hard team to beat in a series, but that 1 game playoff does not bode well for us at all when we are darn near being shut down every 3rd game.....
    When did the ellipsis replace the period?

6. Likes:

wheels (08-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    When did the ellipsis replace the period?
    Note to NY Red: THIS is thread copping.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

That's not grammar/punctuation police? Uh-oh. I'm guilty of it too then.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Almost as bad as the Vegan Police :
    /Scott Pilgram vs the World
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

10. Likes:

powersackers (08-26-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (08-26-2013)

Meanwhile in Realityville the actual Ryan Ludwick provides a realistic look at his current state, sore, getting back in the groove, aware of the process.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/sports/head...220292971.html

Ryan Ludwick had a bag of ice wrapped on his right shoulder, the one that's prevented him from doing much of anything all season. It seems to be finally coming around, just like his team.
    "I actually felt a little better tonight," Ludwick said. "I don't know if it was being home in familiar surroundings or what.

"It's baby steps. It's a process. You feel like you want it all at once. You want to hit a home run in every one of your first 10 at-bats. Obviously, it's a rhythm and timing issue. Tonight, I felt like I had a pretty good rhythm at the plate.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

One person's "fresh" is another person's "rusty"

13. Likes:

remdog (08-26-2013), UKFlounder (08-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Note to NY Red: THIS is thread copping.
    It is a good question though. I have noticed an increase in business emails as well as social text messages of ending sentences in "..." for no apparent reason.

I recently sent a text message to my cousin commenting how weak the OSU schedule was and his response was:

"I completely agree...."

I did not really know how to take this, it makes me think he doesn't really completely agree. It is just a weird way to make a statement to me, it makes me think the person is not really sure of what they are saying.

If I agree with something I am going to punctuate it with a strong ..

It is even worse in the business world though, when I am asking a very specific question and the answer is very important, the whole "..." after the answer does not make me feel good.

/rant off

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    You see, this stuff is the reason that I think Baker is a complete freaking idiot. Lud is absolutely the most well rested slugger in baseball, and he sits because of past ABs vs. the pitcher??! Over how many seasons? BULL!

And what's up with Frazier with his Pete Kosma batting average batting 2nd, between Choo and Votto, instead of 8th? How can the writers let Dusty get away with that?

You won't get the best out of Ludwick if he is Jerked around like LaRussa did him. You PASTE him #5 in the lineup 'till the season is over. Then you got 5 dangerous hitters in a row.

Plugging a stiff in between those guys make no sense at all.
    1st off, calling Baker a complete freaking idiot is over the line. It's not called for, especially if you want your questions half way answered.

2nd, yes Luddy is rested. But when you have a surgery like that you just can't go back to playing everyday without building up the strength in the shoulder. I have had a few shoulder surgeries and after my 1st tried to do too much too early and I paid for it.

3rd, Frazier hitting 2nd was suppose to get him out of the slump I believe. As Dusty said when he first tried it...It couldn't hurt!!! Plus, really who else you want to put there. Many on here were screaming for Frazier to hit second, it hasn't worked out. Short of moving a Phillips or Votto there, I don't think we have anyone on the roster who fits that role.

16. Likes:

powersackers (08-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Ludwick is 35 and has reached the point in his career where he needs a couple days off every week (if not more). Day game after a night game is an automatic sit for him. Another reason the Reds really missed the boat by passing on David Dejesus. Dejesus could be getting those extra starts with Heisey available to rest Choo in CF. All they needed to do was jettison a suspect like Ravin or Lotzkar to make a 40 man spot and hide Paul or Hannahan on the DL for a couple weeks.
    I've been a huge DeJesus fan for several years. That said, he's no longer a clear upgrade over what the Reds already have. His wOBA is only 10 points higher than Xavier Paul. That's really not worth the money the Reds would be on the hook for next season.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I was indeed acting as grammar police. But not as thread cop, which is about topics or substantive approach. Completely different from grammar police.

I acted as grammar police for the reasons RedTeamGo stated. Ellipses mean something totally different, like there are thoughts left unsaid. The good old period should suffice. Since we're only communicating in written form on message boards, might as well make it clear. Thus the correction is semi-relevant to the purpose of message boards, at least in my eyes.

19. Likes:

wheels (08-26-2013)

[QUOTE=PuffyPig;2948196][QUOTE=lidspinner;2948166]....the fact that he has been out of baseball all season is even more reason to start him every game...he is fresh...
    If we dont take 5 out of 7 from the Cardinals over the next 10 days then Dusty needs to start praying for a Diamonback collapse because we are not playing great baseball.....

(1) Ludwick wasn't snoozing during those 4 months of rehab. He's no fresher than any of the other Red's regulars.

(2) We need to win 5 of 7 over the next 10 days or hope for a Diamondbacks crash? You might want to look at that math again. It's the Diamondbakcs who are dreaming that we crash.
    This, rehab is a hellava lot tougher than playing baseball. I would rather play baseball for a summer than to do a week of rehab. To me rehab was actually worse than the injuries themselves!!! But then again, when you sit at a computer and paper cuts are the worst thing you have to worry about.......

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    I was indeed acting as grammar police. But not as thread cop, which is about topics or substantive approach. Completely different from grammar police.

I acted as grammar police for the reasons RedTeamGo stated. Ellipses mean something totally different, like there are thoughts left unsaid. The good old period should suffice. Since we're only communicating in written form on message boards, might as well make it clear. Thus the correction is semi-relevant to the purpose of message boards, at least in my eyes.

22. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (08-26-2013)

I thought that weŽll get some threads like "Dusty, the idiot, plays Ludwick to much" when ludwick is back from the dl...

never thought that it will be the other way around...

give him the rest heŽll need (and he does need it) and try to get him going for october...

Turn Off Ads?