Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Player moves before September 1?

Player moves before September 1?

Will the Reds make roster moves/acquisitions before September 1? They have to consider both the September stretch drive and the post-season roster. Few days away.

Here are the potential moves I see, interested in other views.

1. Billy Hamilton. Given the dimension BH brings on the base paths, it seems like a no-brainer to bring him up before 9/1. Reds could move Freeman, Lotzkar, Corky Miller, or somebody else off 40 man roster. On the 25 man roster they could go with 11 pitchers for one day, then add pitchers on or after 9/1.

2. Relief pitcher. Reds could use a late inning reliever. One option is to wait for Sean Marshall. Another is to wait for Cueto and put him in the pen. The other option is to acquire somebody. This new guy would replace Christiani on the roster (for a day, until rosters expand) and might create some competition for the post-season roster. Roster situation might get complicated if Reds do both items 1 and 2 before rosters expand.

3. Cingrani and starting pitching. If Cingrani is questionable, do they go for a starter? I think not. He doesn't seem too badly injured and Reynolds is adequate for now. For post-season purposes Reds can add Cingrani to the pen. But if Cingrani starts games upon his return in September, Reds may need a reliever (item 2) for the regular season stretch drive.

4. Hitter. It's probably too late to make changes in the starting lineup to add offense. Frazier and Cozart certainly can be upgraded offensively, but I doubt that would happen now. I can see a bench acquisition, but realistically I think Heisey, Izturis (defense), Hannahan (doing better lately) and Hanigan are locks to remain. XPaul's spot could be available potentially for a new player.

Overall - I think we see Hamilton before 9/1 and maybe a reliever.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-26-2013 at 03:28 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Turn Off Ads?