Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: 8.26.13 Reds @ Cardinals

Re: 8.26.13 Reds @ Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    even though I hold my breath when Arroyo or Leake pitch. .
    Arroyo's one of the few warriors on this team and as per usual has just rung up four in a row during the dog days. One of the few guys on this team who has proven he can handle the bright lights. I don't underestand these feelings.

2. Likes:

CrackerJack (08-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    The W-L record against .500+ teams has been there for some time now. Outside of pure luck and timing, what makes anyone think this team could just flip a switch and take out several quality teams in October?

Eventually, Walt will have to decide if it's time to restructure....a case can be made that this isn't working if a championship is the goal. Or he could simply leave as is with minor tweaks. After all, this is a competitive team, WC spot within sight, with a fan base setting GABP attendance records.
    Yes, and IMHO, what you said last is the way it will go. And maybe that's the way it should be. Small market team does well and makes money. Finish 3rd, make the playoffs and everybody's happy. The turnstiles turn and folks get excited. At least it's not the lost decade.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Arroyo's one of the few warriors on this team and as per usual has just rung up four in a row during the dog days. One of the few guys on this team who has proven he can handle the bright lights. I don't underestand these feelings.
    I think what he's saying is when Bronson is off, he's balls flying out of the yard in bunches off. Hasn't happened as often this year, but I think we've seen enough of BA now to know it can happen in a given start.

Leake is the guy STL fans can't understand how the Cards don't score 10 runs off of every time he throws against them.

6. Likes:

Agreed, but I was talking about the last four games which is micro season of the whole season. But I agree, I cringe anytime I see Parra come into a game there is a reason why he was cut by Milwaukee. He couldn't pitch consistently. You roll the dice with him. Same with Hoover. He's young, and I understand, but after his hot streak, he's as shaky as can be. We needed to score runs against the Brewers and couldn't because they couldn't hit. They needed relief tonight, but the marginal pitchers were not good. It's not playoff capable. We've known it all year but have been in denial. I still have hope, but this is not a World Series team no matter who the manager is.
    I agree with all of it...except the last sentence. I do believe a different manager could create a different mind set for this team....obviously not now, but if he had them at the beginning of the year. Dusty had his chance...time to move on.

Choo will be gone in 2014, so some MLB outfielder who can hit must come on board. Reloading may mean letting Choo go, trading the horribly inconsistent Heisey, and finding a bench hitting better than .230.

It's easy. I hope.
    Jon Jay might be an option. Next year he's ARB eligible, Cards have a hot CF coming up through the farm, so Jay might be a cheap option since he's shown to be a 300 hitter except for this year....

9. Likes:

If the Reds lose the play in game, Dusty's a goner. No chance he sticks around. As in zero. I think it's probable he's gone even if the Reds win it all.

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    Jon Jay might be an option. Next year he's ARB eligible, Cards have a hot CF coming up through the farm, so Jay might be a cheap option since he's shown to be a 300 hitter except for this year....
    Sign me up. Twice.

I think what he's saying is when Bronson is off, he's balls flying out of the yard in bunches off. Hasn't happened as often this year, but I think we've seen enough of BA now to know it can happen in a given start.

Leake is the guy STL fans can't understand how the Cards don't score 10 runs off of every time he throws against them.
    Leak has won 39 games since he's been drafted, 17 more than Strassburg. Whith adequate relief, he would have won #40 tonight. Arroyo and Leake are not the problem with this team. Too many fans simple can't abide a guy who doesn't throw hard no matter how good a pitcher they are.

13. Likes:

Always Red (08-28-2013),Beltway (08-26-2013),Crumbley (08-26-2013),Falls City Beer (08-26-2013),Ironman92 (08-26-2013),Larkin Fan (08-26-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-26-2013),REDREAD (08-26-2013),Revering4Blue (08-26-2013),Strike3Called (08-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If the Reds lose the play in game, Dusty's a goner. No chance he sticks around. As in zero. I think it's probable he's gone even if the Reds win it all.
    I think you're right. I like Baker as a manager and like him a lot as a man, but sometimes its time for a change.

Leak has won 39 games since he's been drafted, 17 more than Strassburg. Whith adequate relief, he would have won #40 tonight. Arroyo and Leake are not the problem with this team. Too many fans simple can't abide a guy who doesn't throw hard no matter how good a pitcher they are.
    I agree. Baileys been flat out mediocre for much of the season, but he doesn't get half the derision.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I agree. Baileys been flat out mediocre for much of the season, but he doesn't get half the derision.
    Homer has been a big disappointment to me. I thought this would be his breakout year.

You're putting way too much into this. It's really this simple: neither guy has overpowering stuff. If they're not hitting their spots, if their curve ball is flat, if their slider hangs, they become very hittable.

I've thought about Jon Jay as an option for the Reds as well, I could see it.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Homer has been a big disappointment to me. I thought this would be his breakout year.
    He and Lohse suffer from the same brain eating amoeba.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (08-26-2013)

If they're not hitting their spots, if their curve ball is flat, if their slider hangs, they become very hittable.
    Just like Whitey Ford, Warren Spahn and Greg Maddux.

Turn Off Ads?