Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Harvey - torn UCL in his elbow

Matt Harvey - torn UCL in his elbow

Ouch. The one bright spot the Mets had on their team, and he's done.

Reds have 3 games remaining with the Mets, Cards and Pirates are finished with the Mets.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Matt Harvey - torn UCL in his elbow

Partial tear means it could heal on its own. But even then, I wonder if it heals back fully or if the scar tissue means it stays weaker. This could portend Tommy John...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Crappy. But at least now I don't have to actually watch or listen to a Mets game every 5 days.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I saw a tweet that if its more than 33% torn tommy john surgery is the only option he will have.

I read that Harvey had thrown 178 pitches and was subject to an approximate 200 innings limit overall. Too much? Too little? Just right? Injury related? We'll be reading a great deal about this one.

I didn't follow much of Harvey this season but I thought Collins rode him pretty hard. There were times where he was sent back out to the mound with more than 100 pitches and kept in there longer than many would have expected.

8. Likes:

Dom Heffner (08-26-2013)

This reminds me:

Why in the world would a team not conduct bio-mechanical testing of all their pitchers? Create a baseline for muscle strength etc., develop a picture of how the players' arm/shoulder/core/whatever recover between starts/appearances. Then test often and look for breakdowns.

Worst case scenario is that you do it and find out that most or all pitching injuries are actually sudden and nearly impossible to see early warning signs of. Best case is that you can see the weakening of a muscle (e.g. slower recovery) in advance of the unusual soreness that comes with an injury.

You could all of this include the technology and people for under $1M and probably much less, which would be paid for with the prevention of a single injury. Either I'm simply an idiot and don't understand why this would work or teams are really just that penny-wise and pound foolish.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

10. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (08-26-2013),dfs (08-26-2013),Edd Roush (08-26-2013),mbgrayson (08-26-2013)

I didn't realize they had discussed shutting him down early anyway, so he probably wouldn't have faced the Reds in late September.

I know a couple Mets fans, and they're devastated.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I didn't follow much of Harvey this season but I thought Collins rode him pretty hard. There were times where he was sent back out to the mound with more than 100 pitches and kept in there longer than many would have expected.
    He did, but I'd say that falls on management. Collins is trying to win games so he is manager next year, and keeping Harvey in gives him the best chance for the Mets to win. It's ultimately on the front office to step in and make it clear what Collins is and isn't allowed to do with Harvey.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Sorry to hear. Great talent and seems like a great kid too.

This does not help my fantasy team

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    This does not help my fantasy team
    He was going to be shut down anyway....

Matt Harvey - torn UCL in his elbow

I'm sure teams do extensive testing and monitoring. It just goes to show, injuries happen. On the flip side, the Nats shut down Strausberg last year for their 2013 World Series run.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    He did, but I'd say that falls on management. Collins is trying to win games so he is manager next year, and keeping Harvey in gives him the best chance for the Mets to win. It's ultimately on the front office to step in and make it clear what Collins is and isn't allowed to do with Harvey.
    True, but some of that falls on him for a couple of reasons: 1) if he's wearing his starters down, particularly the top of the rotation, and they end up on the DL because of it (certainly can't make a 1:1 correlation) I would assume management wouldn't look too kindly on that; and 2) the Mets weren't winning with Harvey going out there every 5 days...so why extend him unnecessarily?

Bad deal for Harvey, regardless.

Not to mention the reports that he's been dealing with forearm discomfort for the better part of a month now...

Turn Off Ads?