Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When should a manager argue?

Re: When should a manager argue?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    I'm not sure when but, it would be nice if he did it, ever. He's not got vehemently upset all year.
    I don't think it's a good idea for Dusty to get very upset because of his health.

He probably feels the same way.

But if managers don't "play the game" and flip out whenever the ump isn't calling equal strike zones, then the team suffers for it. Like last night for example.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Turn Off Ads?

When you combine everything that went into last nights game, that was one the Reds NEEDED to win. Its the first game of a series, it would have put them 1.5 games back, put them in the drivers seat for the series, combine that with a 4 and then 3 run lead. There are games in which a manager manages for a 162 game season and others where you manage to win one game.

Its a shame that they lost last night, especially when you consider that they just lost a series they had no business losing and the daunting test they will endure over the next two weeks. I heard on the radio that Dusty teams tend to finish off the season strong, well that sure will be put to the test now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I don't think it's a good idea for Dusty to get very upset because of his health.
    He probably feels the same way.

But if managers don't "play the game" and flip out whenever the ump isn't calling equal strike zones, then the team suffers for it. Like last night for example.
    I am in no way a Dusty basher but if this is the case, Dusty needs to step aside.

Getting ejected doesn't always accomplish a whole lot but I think what it can do is send a message to the team when they feel they are getting hosed is that you are willing to stand up for them as a manager and fight for them.

Giving grief within reason to an umpire can pay dividends. I think Dusty needs to think about this.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

5. Likes:

remdog (08-27-2013)

Turn Off Ads?