Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When should a manager argue?

When should a manager argue?

I know the umps are never going to change a call but we have witnessed Don Mattingly haggle the ump and get the close calls on the plate the rest of the game. Tonight the Reds were completely homered on ball/strike calls all night. I don't know that it would change anything but I would've liked to see Dusty go nuts about the 3rd inning and see if the zone would've changed.

That was the most lopsided zone I've seen since Braves/Marlins Eric Gregg and Livan Hernandez.

2. Likes:

joshua (08-26-2013),remdog (08-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: When should a manager argue?

LaRussa would regularly complain about the zone and then sit back and watch as it worked in his favor the rest of the game.

I'd be all for Dusty doing that, rather than bending over and letting the players take what the ump gives them the rest of the game.

Serious question...was it bad for both teams or you saying it was only Eric Gregg wide when the Reds were batting?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Serious question...was it bad for both teams or you saying it was only Eric Gregg wide when the Reds were batting?
    According to Game Day, it wasn't extra wide when the Reds were batting but it was extra tight when the Reds were pitching, especially in the disaster inning.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

I'm not sure when but, it would be nice if he did it, ever. He's not got vehemently upset all year.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

8. Likes:

joshua (08-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    It was not Eric Gregg wide....but I am saying double digit pitches were called for the Cards pitchers that were not called for the Reds....it was significant.enough to really look shady

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    I'm not sure when but, it would be nice if he did it, ever. He's not got vehemently upset all year.
    He did once and I thought wanted to get tossed but Joe West interrupted and refused to toss him?....never witnessed that before.

You gotta get tossed a handful of times a year. Pick and choose when you do it, but you have to show some fire once in a while...and if the zone was as has been described, tonight would have been a good night.

what sucked was the ball 4 call to Holiday to load the bases was closer than the strike 2 call to Ludwick the next inning!!!! I was ticked off seeing that garbage.. AND Wonderful FoxSports OHIO didnt show a replay with the wonderful box in the strike zone to see if he really should have been struck out and the inning would have been over...

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    He did once and I thought wanted to get tossed but Joe West interrupted and refused to toss him?....never witnessed that before.
    That is the maddest he's been all year.

I don't think Baker's arguing or not arguing is very important. Indeed we don't know what was said from the dugout to the ump.

The Reds had six runs and lost because of a three-run homer and a slam. The pitchers who gave up those homers bear most of the blame tonight.

I know they had to throw extra pitches, had some unfavorable counts, etc., sure the ump wasn't very good tonight, but the Reds could have fanned Holliday and Craig rather than throwing gopher balls.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-27-2013 at 12:16 AM.

15. Likes:

Hoosier Red (08-26-2013),mth123 (08-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    You gotta get tossed a handful of times a year. Pick and choose when you do it, but you have to show some fire once in a while...and if the zone was as has been described, tonight would have been a good night.
    I tend to agree with this.

"So Fla Red"

Dusty is a cruise control manager. Set it and forget it. He's not the type to get worked up even though I think it would fire the heck up from this lackluster club to see him actually get tossed and actually defend one of the guys getting squeezed. As I said in the game threads from the Dodger series, Mattingly turned the entire 4-game series momentum around early in game 2 arguing balls and stirkes. While Dusty was yucking it up and playing Mr. Cool with Magic Johnson in the scout seats.

I was watching the game from work (behind a bar), thought Leake was getting sweezed and too wondered why Dusty didn't trot out after the second or third bad call. Glad it wasn't just me. Leake pitched a better game than the line reads.

Maybe Dusty got complacent with a lead. Problem is, a 3 run lead vs. the Cards is like a 1 run lead vs. everyone else. I've never been a big rah-rah guy but a little more fire from the top (at least Votto curses after bad at-bats) might be what these guys need.

I rarely rarely rarely let myself get mad about strike zones - because I understand that my eyes are biased. But man oh man, last night was the exception to my rule. Leake in particular seemed to never get the borderline pitch while it seemed the Cards pitchers were getting 50 percent of them called in their favor.

Turn Off Ads?