Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirates Trade for Marlon Byrd and John Buck

Pirates Trade for Marlon Byrd and John Buck

I normally don't post on RedsZone, but I love to read comments and reaction. However, the turn of events today from the Pirates acquiring Marlon Byrd compelled me to start a thread. The Reds shouldn't have allowed Byrd to be dealt to Pittsburgh. I don't understand in the slightest why Jocketty wouldn't have claimed him. He wouldn't have had to make a deal. But he could have stopped Byrd from being a Pirate.

I don't see any downside to making a claim. Am I missing something? I think Walt has done an excellent job, but this one frustrated me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pirates Trade for Marlon Byrd and John Buck

Totally agree, I have no idea why the Reds did not put in a claim for Byrd and block this move or even try to acquire him. There is no defending this move, this was just plain stupid. You put in a claim, can't work out a trade, so be it. At least the Pirates don't get him. Makes zero sense. Totally frustrated by this.

I think the Mets misread their schedule...Today was Marlon Byrd T-shirt giveaway night...Not Marlon Byrd giveaway night

Thanks Walt for showing Reds fans "ALL IN" was not true. If all in you dont let guys get claimed by the teams ahead of you that are SERIOUS about going far into the playoffs.. Guess Walt and company are happy with getting a final one game on the road playoff game

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here. Maybe Walt is looking at the long-run? He's fine with a slightly improved Pirates team in the short term, so long as that means they are shipping talent out of the division for the long-term? Maybe he's strategically letting the Pirates make moves in the same way a leader might let an enemy win a major battle at the expense of depleting their reserves and overtaking them in the future?
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post
    I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here. Maybe Walt is looking at the long-run? He's fine with a slightly improved Pirates team in the short term, so long as that means they are shipping talent out of the division for the long-term? Maybe he's strategically letting the Pirates make moves in the same way a leader might let an enemy win a major battle at the expense of depleting their reserves and overtaking them in the future?
    So Winning a Chamnpionship is not this year but 5-10 years from now??? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post
    I get your point, but trading a 19 year old prospect that was ranked 20th in the farm system isn't really hurting you for the future. This was a good move by Huntington and something that Jocketty will likely regret, IMO. Having said that, I'd love to be wrong.

I was very impressed with Byrd during his tenure with the Mets. He played hard and well under difficult circumstances. I bet he really helps the Pirates.

Affable Opponent

No need to claim either. Bucs got two backups, neither one are difference makers. I think your FO is keeping an eye on the Cards to see if they make a move. THEN you will probably see the claim/block.

Affable Opponent

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I was very impressed with Byrd during his tenure with the Mets. He played hard and well under difficult circumstances. I bet he really helps the Pirates.
    I think Byrd is 36 now. Having a good year though. Glad he has a chance to play for a contender. Don't think he will get the Bucs over the hump.

Quote Originally Posted by Boro_BG_Red View Post
    I normally don't post on RedsZone, but I love to read comments and reaction. However, the turn of events today from the Pirates acquiring Marlon Byrd compelled me to start a thread. The Reds shouldn't have allowed Byrd to be dealt to Pittsburgh. I don't understand in the slightest why Jocketty wouldn't have claimed him. He wouldn't have had to make a deal. But he could have stopped Byrd from being a Pirate.

I don't see any downside to making a claim. Am I missing something? I think Walt has done an excellent job, but this one frustrated me.
    Worst case the Reds claim him and the Mets let him go, the Reds would only be on the hook for $233,333

Oh, they got Buck too? Very impressive fellow, smart as heck. Knows how to play baseball and manage pitchers. He will really help that team.

Quote Originally Posted by TDogg View Post
    No need to claim either. Bucs got two backups, neither one are difference makers. I think your FO is keeping an eye on the Cards to see if they make a move. THEN you will probably see the claim/block.
    36 HRs from backups? Wish our starters were nearly that good.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by TDogg View Post
    I think Byrd is 36 now. Having a good year though. Glad he has a chance to play for a contender. Don't think he will get the Bucs over the hump.
    Please see him for what he is, a replacement, they lost Marte, so maybe not over the hump, but um, a stop-gap for not falling to the wrong side of the hump? YES!

and now rumors are they are trying to get Morneau, so again staying on the right side of the hump!
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

Affable Opponent

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    36 HRs from backups? Wish our starters were nearly that good.
    Reds didn't make a claim. Cards didn't make a claim. Neither one blocked the move the Pirates made. That's telling.

Turn Off Ads?