Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 98

Thread: Pretty Good Insight

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,507

    Pretty Good Insight

    Seriously good writing by Daugherty today on the state of the Redlegs. Just not ready for prime time. We need somebody to step up.

    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/

  2. #2
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,678

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Like Thom does so each time he speaks, so does PD demonstrate a very shallow understanding of MLB with every peck of the keyboard. Surprising he enjoyed the constant droning on about RISP by Brenneman during EVERY Cardinals broadcast.

    The only thing I am agreeing with at this time is the bonehead plays are occurring way too much this season. Not sure of the reasons or the fix, but that is the one dig I can dig.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  3. Likes:

    RichRed (08-28-2013)

  4. #3
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,084

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Any good points he makes are erased by his obvious trolling of those whose opinion's differ from his.

    His "attacks" on those who disagree with him make this a disgusting article to read.

  5. Likes:

    OC_Red (08-28-2013), PepperJack (08-28-2013), RedEye (08-29-2013), Trajinous (08-28-2013)

  6. #4
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,090

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Terrible.

    If Joey Votto had Matt Holiday and Matt Carpenter hitting ahead of him....Good Lord...

    Here's what I want all you RBI guys to explain to me right now. Take two sentences and explain, with facts, how Brandon Phillips can be 2% below league average as a hitter and have all these riuns driven in.

    Just explain it. Two sentences.

    Go ahead-

  7. Likes:

    OnBaseMachine (08-29-2013), wheels (08-28-2013), WVRedsFan (08-29-2013)

  8. #5
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,604

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Confession: Iím not the biggest baseball fan. Mostly, baseball works best as a concept: The idea of going to a game can be better than actually following through. A starry night, a slice of moon, warmth. The perfect green symmetry dominating our vision for 180 degrees, like bright green paint spilling across a panoramic canvas.

    The home team, winning more than not.

    All wonderful. After three innings, then what?

    I get a little wiggly.
    "Interesting how so many fans are so concerned about trading prospects for established talent. This time, it involves acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect.

    I do it in a second"
    "By the time he left here, traded to Texas for some kid pitcher with attitude issues, Josh Hamilton somehow had gone from thrill-a-minute heartwarmer to entitled eggshell. The Reds dealt him for Edinson Volquez, a trade that is just a few floors and a fast elevator from Manhattan-for-beads and Robinson-for-Pappas.

    How about we bring him back? "
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  9. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    116

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Terrible.

    If Joey Votto had Matt Holiday and Matt Carpenter hitting ahead of him....Good Lord...

    Here's what I want all you RBI guys to explain to me right now. Take two sentences and explain, with facts, how Brandon Phillips can be 2% below league average as a hitter and have all these riuns driven in.

    Just explain it. Two sentences.

    Go ahead-
    Phillips makes contact with men on. Low strikeout total.

  10. #7
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,942

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    Phillips makes contact with men on. Low strikeout total.
    Juan Pierre career 5.8% career percentage. Wonder why Reds didn't sign him to hit clean-up with Ludwick out all that time.

    Probably because they had Hanigan and his 10% already on the roster which is also far superior to BP's 14%.

  11. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    116

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Juan Pierre career 5.8% career percentage. Wonder why Reds didn't sign him to hit clean-up with Ludwick out all that time.

    Probably because they had Hanigan and his 10% already on the roster which is also far superior to BP's 14%.
    Ah, so this was bait for an argument. Got it. And I love how everyone on here dogs Doc for writing things as they are. Same thing goes for the criticism of Marty. If you can't handle the truth, then stay off the radio and out of the paper. I for one would rather hear both sides than listen to a bunch of homers say it's sunny outside when, in fact, the weather sucks.
    Last edited by armybrat45103; 08-29-2013 at 05:42 PM.

  12. #9
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,942

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    Ah, so this was bait for an argument. Got it.
    One, I didn't ask the question.

    Two, lack of strikeouts don't correlate with RBI's.

    Just pointing that out since it was your way of describing why Phillips has so many RBI's.

    The reason Phillips has so many RBI's is a product almost entirely of the following:

    1. He hits behind two of the most prolific people in baseball at getting on base

    2. Phillips has hit exceedingly well, and above his career norms (suggesting a non-repeatable skill at the level Phillips is producing) with runners on base and runners in scoring position.

    3. Generally yes your point about Phillips being a good contact hitter can help in certain situations (such as runner on 3rd, 1 out where getting the bat on the ball instead of K'ing can lead to a better chance of knocking in that particular run). Phillips does have some skills in that area and it seems he adjusts his approach in certain situations to do that, however, this would only be a marginal attribute as to his lofty RBI totals, and that normally those situations where simply trying to make contact are so few and far between that it is not a significant factor in aggregate RBI totals.

  13. #10
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,001

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    PD's baseball writing is as shallow as Thom's announcing, instead of emphasizing each play with a admonishing over used adjective like Thom he leans on cliche and baiting.

    Simply put he might be right in theory but he can't explain it without coming off like an arse.

  14. #11
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    3,656

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    And if M. Latos is gonna be the ace, he best out-pitch Joe Kelly, no matter his mates’ ineptitude.
    Oh yeah, Latos isn't an ace because he didn't pitch a shutout against Joe Kelly.

    This is one of the worst lines I have ever read in a baseball column.

    What columnist actually lists "I told you so's?"

    It amazes me someone actually read this article and thought "wow, these are some good insights."

  15. Likes:

    Larkin Fan (08-28-2013), PepperJack (08-28-2013), RedEye (08-29-2013), Tom Servo (08-29-2013)

  16. #12
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,090

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    These guys watch hundreds of baseball games and have no idea what to do with all they've seen....

  17. Likes:

    traderumor (08-28-2013)

  18. #13
    Member Crumbley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Toledo
    Posts
    770

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    These guys watch hundreds of baseball games and have no idea what to do with all they've seen....
    Daugherty is a casual fan at best.

  19. #14
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,090

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Daugherty is a casual fan at best.
    You'd think he hates sports.

  20. #15
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC or thereabouts
    Posts
    3,876

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Daugherty is a casual fan at best.
    Casual, unless his Pirates are winning. (This is from last year.)

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...tes/index.html
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25