Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 98

Thread: Pretty Good Insight

  1. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    116

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Juan Pierre career 5.8% career percentage. Wonder why Reds didn't sign him to hit clean-up with Ludwick out all that time.

    Probably because they had Hanigan and his 10% already on the roster which is also far superior to BP's 14%.
    Ah, so this was bait for an argument. Got it. And I love how everyone on here dogs Doc for writing things as they are. Same thing goes for the criticism of Marty. If you can't handle the truth, then stay off the radio and out of the paper. I for one would rather hear both sides than listen to a bunch of homers say it's sunny outside when, in fact, the weather sucks.
    Last edited by armybrat45103; 08-29-2013 at 05:42 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #77
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,594

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Again, not what I am saying.

    I am saying that, in most cases, those that criticize with the amount of venom that Doc gets here at RedsZone, usually have zero talent of their own. In anything. If they did, then the perspective from said talent would keep that kind of venom in check.

    RedLegJake actually illustrated this point rather well:



    Anyone bashing Doc for his writing, clearly has ZERO concept of how difficult it is to write 1500+ words a day about sports. How easy it must be to sit and pick apart every word he writes while simultaneously patting oneself on the back.

    "I could do that soooo much better, and so could all my buddies here at RedsZone. Amiright, guys?!?!"

    Laughable.
    I suppose I can just ignore anything negative ever said about my restaurant on yelp.

    Thank you Mr. Daug.....er.....Sheed, for helping me clear my conscience.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

  4. #78
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,189

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I suppose I can just ignore anything negative ever said about my restaurant on yelp.

    Thank you Mr. Daug.....er.....Sheed, for helping me clear my conscience.
    Once again: where is my freaking turkey club?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  5. #79
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,914

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    Ah, so this was bait for an argument. Got it.
    One, I didn't ask the question.

    Two, lack of strikeouts don't correlate with RBI's.

    Just pointing that out since it was your way of describing why Phillips has so many RBI's.

    The reason Phillips has so many RBI's is a product almost entirely of the following:

    1. He hits behind two of the most prolific people in baseball at getting on base

    2. Phillips has hit exceedingly well, and above his career norms (suggesting a non-repeatable skill at the level Phillips is producing) with runners on base and runners in scoring position.

    3. Generally yes your point about Phillips being a good contact hitter can help in certain situations (such as runner on 3rd, 1 out where getting the bat on the ball instead of K'ing can lead to a better chance of knocking in that particular run). Phillips does have some skills in that area and it seems he adjusts his approach in certain situations to do that, however, this would only be a marginal attribute as to his lofty RBI totals, and that normally those situations where simply trying to make contact are so few and far between that it is not a significant factor in aggregate RBI totals.

  6. #80
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,594

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Once again: where is my freaking turkey club?
    I sent one to Atlanta six weeks ago.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

  7. #81
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    116

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    One, I didn't ask the question.

    Two, lack of strikeouts don't correlate with RBI's.

    Just pointing that out since it was your way of describing why Phillips has so many RBI's.

    The reason Phillips has so many RBI's is a product almost entirely of the following:

    1. He hits behind two of the most prolific people in baseball at getting on base

    2. Phillips has hit exceedingly well, and above his career norms (suggesting a non-repeatable skill at the level Phillips is producing) with runners on base and runners in scoring position.

    3. Generally yes your point about Phillips being a good contact hitter can help in certain situations (such as runner on 3rd, 1 out where getting the bat on the ball instead of K'ing can lead to a better chance of knocking in that particular run). Phillips does have some skills in that area and it seems he adjusts his approach in certain situations to do that, however, this would only be a marginal attribute as to his lofty RBI totals, and that normally those situations where simply trying to make contact are so few and far between that it is not a significant factor in aggregate RBI totals.

  8. #82
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,189

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I sent one to Atlanta six weeks ago.
    It hasn't caught up to me here in Charlotte yet.

    Hope it hasn't spoiled
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  9. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    116

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    My point about Phillips is this. 1. he is a great contact hitter. 2. He hits a lot of deep fly balls which end up as sac flies. 3. He is a terrible base runner which means he is more valuable as a run producer than as a run scorer. 4. Seems it is something he enjoys.

  10. #84
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,189

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Pecans!
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  11. #85
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,914

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    My point about Phillips is this. 1. he is a great contact hitter. 2. He hits a lot of deep fly balls which end up as sac flies. 3. He is a terrible base runner which means he is more valuable as a run producer than as a run scorer. 4. Seems it is something he enjoys.
    I agree. I think the approach he takes is probably consistent with jis skills and I don't think he should try to change.

    But if you think those skills that he has is consistent with a true value of 100+ RBI's on average, you are mistaken.

  12. #86
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,594

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    It hasn't caught up to me here in Charlotte yet.

    Hope it hasn't spoiled
    Charlotte now?

    I crap you negative. One of my customers moved to Atlanta and missed my sun dried tomato focaccia bread. She jokingly asked me to send her a club on that bread, so I actually did it. Packed it in dry ice, put all the ingredients in there separately. She did have to fry the bacon herself, but it was my bacon.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

  13. #87
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,189

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Charlotte now?

    I crap you negative. One of my customers moved to Atlanta and missed my sun dried tomato focaccia bread. She jokingly asked me to send her a club on that bread, so I actually did it. Packed it in dry ice, put all the ingredients in there separately. She did have to fry the bacon herself, but it was my bacon.
    Now you've brought bacon into the conversation. I might as well go home because I'm not going to get anymore work done
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  14. #88
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    116

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I agree. I think the approach he takes is probably consistent with jis skills and I don't think he should try to change.

    But if you think those skills that he has is consistent with a true value of 100+ RBI's on average, you are mistaken.
    Then I am mistaken.

  15. #89
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,830

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    My point about Phillips is this. 1. he is a great contact hitter. 2. He hits a lot of deep fly balls which end up as sac flies. 3. He is a terrible base runner which means he is more valuable as a run producer than as a run scorer. 4. Seems it is something he enjoys.
    Prior to this year

    Code:
    PLATE APPEARANCES               PA       RB      OUTS      RBI       R     
    1    Brandon Phillips           4526     1483     3222      563      610
    An out 71% of the time he came to bat
    An RBI every 8 PA's
    A Run scored every 7.4 PA

    Looks to me like a wash, he's not much better at either facet than the other and despite his contact he hasn't gotten on enough to make that contact extra special.

  16. Likes:

    armybrat45103 (08-29-2013)

  17. #90
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,504

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Sorry, i didn't know about that high school gig, that changes everything. Why don't you send your resume into the Times, I'm getting bored with Maureen Dowd. And that might even pay more than your current job.
    Good luck with your column tomorrow, Mr. Daugherty.


    whoops wheels beat me to that joke. guess I don't have any other clever way of saying you are being kind of a dick and your 'Daugherty is a good writer because he gets paid to do it and if you don't get paid to do it you can't be a better writer than him' logic fails on a variety of different levels.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; 08-29-2013 at 06:36 PM.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25