Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 98

Thread: Pretty Good Insight

  1. #46
    KungFu Fighter AtomicDumpling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    2,732

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    His article over the weekend on former Bengal great and Disney Sports VP Reggie Williams and his battle to save his right leg was old style excellent journalism. I would suggest reading that one and ignoring the author's name at the top of the page.
    Nah, I think he is dishonest, clueless, uninformed and intellectually lazy. He is not a good writer. He might have something interesting to say occasionally but he is the lowest of the low in the field of journalism, which is why he is still writing for the Enquirer, one of the worst newspapers in the country.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Custodial Engineer Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    334

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I don't have to write a book to be able to critique one pretty well...I am a competent and capable reader. Your inference that unless I am able to write prose I cannot tell good prose from doggerel doesn't wash. At all. In fact it is silly. Same for music. The funny thing is I do paint in oils and it is, of all things, what I feel least qualified to criticize others in: the art form I practice most myself.
    Well good for you. No sarcasm there. Because I have found that the loudest critics typically have the least talent. Good to know you are an exception.
    "And why do false truths persist, getting passed down the decades as if they were fact? It comes back to the same point: People believe things that are wrong because, individually, people rarely investigate their own beliefs, particularly when what they believe makes sense intuitively. Even more so when those around them agree with them." -K.F.

  4. #48
    Member OesterPoster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West-central Ohio
    Posts
    2,052

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    A lot of folks in here are clearly enjoying a large portion of hater-tots, and washing them down with some ice cold Hater-ade.

    I'd like to match Doc's last 10k words in print with anyone's last 10,000 words here at RedsZone who is bashing him.

    Like going to a concert and bashing the band....even though you don't play.
    And the singer is terrible... you don't sing though.
    And at the comedy club, you heckle the comedian...never told a funny joke in your life though.
    And that movie you saw last week? Worst movie ever.

    Critics...
    Oh please. In my next performance review, I'll let my boss know that she isn't qualified to critique my work...because, you know, she could never do my job.

  5. #49
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,764

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Well good for you. No sarcasm there. Because I have found that the loudest critics typically have the least talent. Good to know you are an exception.
    There is truth in what you say there - but if you truly are studying something I think you find out the more you know - the more you know how little you really do know...I met a truly talented modern artist once, guy named Wayne Thiebaud. He told me the greatest talents encourage others all they can, the least talents criticize others all they can.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 08-29-2013 at 09:23 AM.

  6. #50
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,699

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    A lot of folks in here are clearly enjoying a large portion of hater-tots, and washing them down with some ice cold Hater-ade.

    I'd like to match Doc's last 10k words in print with anyone's last 10,000 words here at RedsZone who is bashing him.

    Like going to a concert and bashing the band....even though you don't play.
    And the singer is terrible... you don't sing though.
    And at the comedy club, you heckle the comedian...never told a funny joke in your life though.
    And that movie you saw last week? Worst movie ever.

    Critics...
    I'll match any of my baseball prose against PDs any day of the week and I will win hands down

  7. Likes:

    Always Red (08-29-2013), Big Klu (09-09-2013), Larkin Fan (08-29-2013), OC_Red (08-29-2013), oneupper (08-29-2013), Raisor (08-29-2013), RedlegJake (08-29-2013), RedsBaron (08-29-2013)

  8. #51
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    A lot of folks in here are clearly enjoying a large portion of hater-tots, and washing them down with some ice cold Hater-ade.

    I'd like to match Doc's last 10k words in print with anyone's last 10,000 words here at RedsZone who is bashing him.

    Like going to a concert and bashing the band....even though you don't play.
    And the singer is terrible... you don't sing though.
    And at the comedy club, you heckle the comedian...never told a funny joke in your life though.
    And that movie you saw last week? Worst movie ever.

    Critics...
    I have to ask, is there any instance where it would be OK to disagree with a so-called "authority" or "professional" (which is simply an economic distinction)?

    Because all appeal to authority arguments sound like that.

    In which case, have I got the cult for you!

    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  9. #52
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,176

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'll match any of my baseball prose against PDs any day of the week and I will win hands down
    You should listen to WOY, he's Pre-Med.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  10. Likes:

    Big Klu (09-09-2013)

  11. #53
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    I looked at this article and found it unpretty, not good and uninsightful.

    Other than that...

    I want my money back.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  12. #54
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,402

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    You should listen to WOY, he's Pre-Med.
    I thought he was Pre-Law?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  13. Likes:

    Big Klu (09-09-2013)

  14. #55
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,764

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    I thought he was pre-1920s?

  15. Likes:

    remdog (08-29-2013)

  16. #56
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,176

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I thought he was Pre-Law?
    What's the difference?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  17. Likes:

    Big Klu (09-09-2013)

  18. #57
    Custodial Engineer Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    334

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'll match any of my baseball prose against PDs any day of the week and I will win hands down
    Then you would be an exception rather than the rule here.

    Again, the loudest critics usually have the least amount of talent. And the amount of venom spewed here every time someone mentions Doc, is telling indeed. Especially when multiplied with the hive-mind culture that many of the "old timers" here subscribe to.

    My opinion still stands, with a few notable exceptions I am sure. Most of the people bashing Doc, and most of the particularly audible critics out there in general, have never stuck their neck out to the public to be judged. And most of them lurk and wallow in their gray talent-less lives, waiting to pounce on anyone that does.

    Doc may not have the most enlightened opinions when it comes to baseball. But I find him to be a talented sports columnist, and a darn good writer, who has managed to stay so for 25 years and counting.

    Anyone who has ever been really good at something knows what I am talking about. Haters are most assuredly gonna hate. And I'm glad your baseball prose is so great. But most, if put to the task of cranking out 1500+ words a day about sports, myself included, wouldn't hold a candle to what Doc writes.


    Edit: I'm actually surprised Doc has lasted this long in a city like Cincinnati. Usually, any sports writer who dares to write ANYTHING that garners a pulse, is promptly run out of town for doing so. (Watch out, CTrent). I thought for sure Mike Brown would have "Dustin Dow'ed" PDoc by the late 1990s. Although sometimes, I wish that the critics here would get exactly what they seem to want. 25 more years of Joe Reedy and Tim Sullivan, with a surprise guest, Mark Curnutte is your new Reds beat reporter!
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 08-29-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    "And why do false truths persist, getting passed down the decades as if they were fact? It comes back to the same point: People believe things that are wrong because, individually, people rarely investigate their own beliefs, particularly when what they believe makes sense intuitively. Even more so when those around them agree with them." -K.F.

  19. #58
    Custodial Engineer Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    334

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Oh please. In my next performance review, I'll let my boss know that she isn't qualified to critique my work...because, you know, she could never do my job.
    She may or may not be qualified, but if she is your boss, then she has the authority to do so. I doubt you have either in your analogy here though. I could be wrong. Maybe you are another one of those closet award winning writers that have suddenly crawled out of the woodwork here in this thread. In that case, your Editor-in-Chief should give you a raise.
    "And why do false truths persist, getting passed down the decades as if they were fact? It comes back to the same point: People believe things that are wrong because, individually, people rarely investigate their own beliefs, particularly when what they believe makes sense intuitively. Even more so when those around them agree with them." -K.F.

  20. Likes:

    Mutaman (08-29-2013)

  21. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    cincinnati, oh usa
    Posts
    691

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I'd like to match Doc's last 10k words in print with anyone's last 10,000 words here at RedsZone who is bashing him.

    Like going to a concert and bashing the band....even though you don't play.
    And the singer is terrible... you don't sing though.
    And at the comedy club, you heckle the comedian...never told a funny joke in your life though.
    And that movie you saw last week? Worst movie ever.
    Are you one of those that thinks you have to have played in the big leagues to offer any criticism of big league ball players? Are you Bob Trumpy?

  22. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,560

    Re: Pretty Good Insight

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I don't think anybody's saying Joey should or has to do it alone. Remember, the best ball this team has played over the last couple of years happened when Joey was on the DL.

    I've been waiting for him to step up and carry this team for awhile like Ludwick did last July/August. Its beginning to look like he's not that kind of player and that he will never be the player he was pre injury.
    Votto has been wonderful this season IMO. He doesn't get many good pitches, he's been under a lot of pressure from the media. Yet he doesn't give in, doesn't swing at bad pitches, still has a very high OBP and a SLG over .500.

    The best way to help Joey is to continue to add more and more good hitters to the lineup. Right now, pitchers don't have many guys to fear. It will be a lot easier for Votto someday when the overall offense is stronger.

    Neither this article nor any of the other media comments about Votto's power production are valid IMO. Given the circumstances, he's had a heck of a season at the dish.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25