Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GABP upgrades could cost county taxpayers $5 million

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

GABP upgrades could cost county taxpayers $5 million

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: GABP upgrades could cost county taxpayers $5 million

So it's $6 million for Great American and $21.8 million for Paul Brown Stadium, a place that gets 1/10th the use.

Nice that some things never change.
    Go Gators!

4. Likes:

LexRedsFan (07-31-2013)

Is that 5 million meant for an upgrade at shortstop?

6. Likes:

mdccclxix (07-31-2013),Red Raindog (07-31-2013)

A lot of this could depend on how it plays in the public. I think the Reds have done an absolutely fantastic job changing the ball park. They put in a state of the art HD video screen without asking for a dime from the taxpayer. They have made the park much more fan friendly during the Castellini's tenure.

The main question I want to know about the $5M in improvements, is how much money the All-Star week will bring to the area.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    A lot of this could depend on how it plays in the public. I think the Reds have done an absolutely fantastic job changing the ball park. They put in a state of the art HD video screen without asking for a dime from the taxpayer. They have made the park much more fan friendly during the Castellini's tenure.

The main question I want to know about the $5M in improvements, is how much money the All-Star week will bring to the area.
    Not surprising that the Enquirer left that little bit of info out of their article. An article earlier this year estimated the economic impact to be about $80M.

http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/loca...illion_8188144
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

9. Likes:

Always Red (07-31-2013)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

That's $2 million LESS than Jonathan Broxton makes all season.

Sounds like a bargain for Hamilton County if you ask me.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

The exterior needs concrete repair, painting and waterproofing. The interior needs rust removal and re-coating of metal decks. Also needed: updates to the public address, heating and air conditioning, security and fire prevention systems. The club house, press box and Diamond Club need waterproofing; the press box and other areas need new carpets and the kitchen needs new floors, according to the memo.
    Is it me, or does this make Great American sound like a dump? I've been there plenty of times this season, it's fine! This just seems like an excuse to waste tax payer money. I want to follow this money and see where it eventually ends up.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    So it's $6 million for Great American and $21.8 million for Paul Brown Stadium, a place that gets 1/10th the use.

Nice that some things never change.
    Quitting being a Bengals fans is starting to look better and better each day.

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    Is it me, or does this make Great American sound like a dump? I've been there plenty of times this season, it's fine! This just seems like an excuse to waste tax payer money. I want to follow this money and see where it eventually ends up.
    Sounds to me like this money is intended to keep it from becoming a dump instead of fixing it once it actually becomes a dump (which would be much more expensive).

14. Likes:

Always Red (07-31-2013),Caveat Emperor (08-01-2013),Chip R (07-31-2013),Crumbley (07-31-2013),HeatherC1212 (07-31-2013),JohnCocktoasten (07-31-2013),joshua (07-31-2013),KittyDuran (07-31-2013),Lockdwn11 (07-31-2013),LoganBuck (07-31-2013),RedEye (07-31-2013),redsfanmia (07-31-2013),remdog (07-31-2013),Revering4Blue (08-03-2013),Roy Tucker (07-31-2013),Stingray (07-31-2013),WrongVerb (08-02-2013),WVRedsFan (08-01-2013)

Is this really news? Taxpayer money is used for something (insert something here) People are upset that it is being used for that something and a call to arms to get out and vote to change things. Change what? Taxes are a part of life. How they are sometimes used can be frustrating but no one is ever happy about how it is ever used in the first place or why we are being taxed.

16. Likes:

Cursh14 (07-31-2013),joshua (07-31-2013)

I have no problem with $5 mill for GABP. First of all that sounds like very little maintenance/upkeep over the next two yrs for a facility that's a dozen yrs old. Considering the impact of the All Star game it's a huge win/win.

The Bengals are a different story. They are working off of a sweetheart lease that our county gov't never should have agreed to. And now to make matters more shady, the Bengals now employ the guy who negotiated that lease with the team. Isn't there some law that prevents that? I guess not but he knows every clause in that lease and can alert Mike Brown what he can do to take advantage of it. I was thrilled when the taxpayers agreed to build a new stadium for the Bengals and keep them in town but I hated the way the county spent that money. They let Mike Brown take them to the cleaners and I said so at the time. Bedinghaus came across as an idiot so the voters rightly removed him but now he's working for the other side. It doesn't smell right but the bottomline is the taxpayers are screwed

18. Likes:

joshua (07-31-2013),remdog (07-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    I wouldn't say dump, but there are some smaller things that I notice at the game I went to earlier this summer...I mean c'mon, the smokestacks are almost pink the paint is so sun faded....overall a fantastic ballpark, just needs some touch ups.

The exterior needs concrete repair, painting and waterproofing. The interior needs rust removal and re-coating of metal decks. Also needed: updates to the public address, heating and air conditioning, security and fire prevention systems. The club house, press box and Diamond Club need waterproofing; the press box and other areas need new carpets and the kitchen needs new floors, according to the memo.
    Why does the article try and make it sound like these are things that are due to the All-Star game? All of these things would need to be done even if the ASG was not coming to Cincy. The joys of Home Ownership.

21. Likes:

remdog (07-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    Why does the article try and make it sound like these are things that are due to the All-Star game? All of these things would need to be done even if the ASG was not coming to Cincy. The joys of Home Ownership.
    This is how the Enquirer does the news anymore - give something a sensational bent and watch the fireworks.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I think it's great that Millionaires get their version of what amount's to welfare, (public assistance, tax breaks ect.) That is the American Way!
    Last edited by Falcon7; 07-31-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Turn Off Ads?