Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pretty Good Insight

Re: Pretty Good Insight

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Good God.
    Why else would a 54-year-old father of two grown children be sitting in a hot car late on a weeknight? Not to tune in the Republican Convention, brother.
    Because he's not a big enough baseball fan to dump a couple of Hamiltons on MLB At Bat?

Yet big enough to write about it?

Mmmkay

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ms teaQUOTE=Mutaman;2951032]Seriously good writing by Daugherty today on the state of the Redlegs. Just not ready for prime time. We need somebody to step up.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/[/QUOTE]

I agree with some of his points, particularly winning against good teams. The Reds are now 26-37 against teams at .500 or better. All other NL contenders, including Arizona, are much better in that area.

At this stage, late August, I doubt this is random. The team either isn't good enough this year to beat good teams; or they choke against them. I think this record against good teams tells us much.

I don't agree with him about Votto. No player can do it alone, Joey does his share. As for RISP, the Reds are a low batting average club for a contender. If they don't hit in the clutch, well, they don't hit often in the regular course. They need more guys who hit well generally and have all season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-28-2013 at 05:12 PM.

I told you so's are the fodder of the weak-minded and insecure.

5. Likes:

OC_Red (08-28-2013),westofyou (08-28-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I haven't read a Paul Daugherty article in at least 10 years and I am not about to start now. He is the worst of the worst and has been for eons. Every single one of his columns is pure drivel.
    When he writes about his daughter, or other non-sports topics, he's solid gold.

He really is miscast as a sports writer. He's a very good writer.

I have nothing against him personally other than his class warfare tactics while writing about sports. Johnny Thinwallet can grate, too.

He learned, from doing the Sportstalk gig here in town a few years ago, how to stir up the masses. When they're peeved about something he writes, more people click on the link. It's like the polar opposite of Tom Boswell.
    sorry we're boring

7. Likes:

757690 (08-29-2013)

CEO - Hal Morris Fanclub OC_Red's Avatar

Paul Daugherty is a paid troll. Period.

Don't feed the troll.

9. Likes:

KYRedsFan (08-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    I told you so's are the fodder of the weak-minded and insecure.
    Except when no one credits you for being right, sometimes you have to remind folks what position you took way back when. Otherwise people are going to keep listening to Karl Rove instead of nate Silver.

Daugherty usually turns out to be right and its becoming pretty clear he was right about the shortcomings of this team (and that those shortcomings aren't necessarily shortcomings of talent).
    I think its a midwest thing- folks don't like edge.

11. Likes:

moewan (08-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don't agree with him about Votto. No player can do it alone, Joey does his share.
    I don't think anybody's saying Joey should or has to do it alone. Remember, the best ball this team has played over the last couple of years happened when Joey was on the DL.

I've been waiting for him to step up and carry this team for awhile like Ludwick did last July/August. Its beginning to look like he's not that kind of player and that he will never be the player he was pre injury.

If they gave awards for articles that were incredibly whiny, used sentence fragments constantly, used asterisks inconsistently, randomly put words in bold, displayed shallow thinking, embraced straw man arguments like they were going out of fashion, and occasionally displayed bad taste in music, then this would be HOF-worthy.

14. Likes:

RedEye (08-29-2013),RichRed (08-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Except when no one credits you for being right, sometimes you have to remind folks what position you took way back when. Otherwise people are going to keep listening to Karl Rove instead of nate Silver.

Daugherty usually turns out to be right and its becoming pretty clear he was right about the shortcomings of this team (and that those shortcomings aren't necessarily shortcomings of talent).
    I think its a midwest thing- folks don't like edge.
    When you jump on every negative you're bound to be right half the time.

I would not want to be Daugherty though. Legitimate daily opinion content on sports is practically impossible to do well.

Daugherty usually turns out to be right

Doc is a fine craftsman of the English language, I've said as much above, and will give you that. I do enjoy his writing, when he is writing about non-sports stuff. Which he does on occasion.

He knows very little about baseball, or how runs are scored. RBI's just happen in a vacuum, with no help from the rest of your team. Votto could hit 40 HR, and only have 90 or so RBI. In fact, Dunn used to do that nearly every year- 40 HR and barely 100 RBI, because no one was on base in front of him. Well, Doc thinks it's because both of them walk too much.

Two words: Joe Blanton

So, Doc's a lot of things, I'll grant you that, but he's not usually right. And he's really, really afraid of admitting that he can be wrong, on occasion.

That's what really turns me off. Everyone is wrong on occasion. Hell, I'm wrong more often than occasionally. Doc can't admit it about sports. He did finally admit that he was wrong about the first episode of Breaking Bad this summer, but that's only after 100% of his readers told him he was wrong.

A little humility is a wonderful thing in people.
    sorry we're boring

18. Likes:

Larkin Fan (08-28-2013),OC_Red (08-28-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-29-2013),Trajinous (08-28-2013),westofyou (08-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    If they gave awards for articles that were incredibly whiny, used sentence fragments constantly, used asterisks inconsistently, randomly put words in bold, displayed shallow thinking, embraced straw man arguments like they were going out of fashion, and occasionally displayed bad taste in music, then this would be HOF-worthy.
    Paul's taste in music isn't bad. Somebody needs to turn him on to Lefty Frizell and early Merle though so he would forget about the Eagles and their ilk.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    :
    Two words: Joe Blanton
    Key word is "usually", not "always".

Key word is "usually", not "always".
    Oh, I missed that! He WAS wrong, that one time.
    sorry we're boring

Paul's taste in music isn't bad. Somebody needs to turn him on to Lefty Frizell and early Merle though so he would forget about the Eagles and their ilk.
    From now on all my friends are gonna be strangers

Turn Off Ads?