Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Feel good thread! Who was your first baseball hero?

"So Fla Red"

Re: Feel good thread! Who was your first baseball hero?

Joe Morgan

#8 was my number for all organized baseball

2. Likes:

OC_Red (08-29-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Mr. Tiger

Boy, in that picture, he looks like Kevin Costner playing him in a baseball movie.

5. Likes:

George Anderson (08-29-2013)

Reds -- Rose. My all-time favorite player, in any event. Good old Charlie Hustle.

Non-Reds -- George Brett. I'm a lefty, used to try to swing just like him. But, who could? My favorite guy ever just to sit and watch hit.

7. Likes:

Always Red (08-29-2013),OC_Red (08-29-2013)

Like several others here, my first baseball hero wore number 14.......but he was not Pete Rose or even a Red. I first became interested in Major League Baseball in 1964 and became a Cardinals fan, with my hero being Ken Boyer.
    After Cardinals GM Bob Howsam traded away Boyer to the Mets following the 1965 season I switched my allegiance to the Reds, and Rose did become my favorite player, but I still followed Boyer. I think Boyer deserves induction in the HOF, though that is unlikely to ever happen, and with Boyer dead 30+ years he will never enjoy such an honor.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 08-29-2013 at 07:33 PM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

9. Likes:

OC_Red (08-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    You shared:

Frankie's telling a tale - head to head, Robinson's record against various HOF pitchers is a mixed bag (as I suspect most are - they're HOF'ers too!).

Here's the chart against pitchers presently in the Hall of Fame.

http://bbref.com/pi/shareit/dMl2o

BTW, Frank is right - not many batters had a lot of luck with Koufax, although Hank Aaron and Willie Mays did the best against. Robby was one of only three batters to hit seven HR's off Koufax.

http://bbref.com/pi/shareit/zYhWZ

And check out Pete Rose down near the bottom vs Sandy.
    I once read that Koufax dubbed Aaron "Bad Henry"; after seeing how Hank did against Sandy I can understand why Sandy gave him the nickname.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

11. Likes:

redsmetz (09-01-2013)

Nothing more heroic than having more HR than SO

13. Likes:

Always Red (08-29-2013),OC_Red (08-29-2013)

Pete Rose.

It's my avatar. Mr. Rose. He's why I love the game and the Reds. I tried to play the game like him.

First Hero: Al Rosen!

Yeah, I grew up in Cleveland and first took notice of baseball in 1954, Indians vs. Giants WS. Saw some of it on TV (including the Mays catch against Vic Wertz). I was eight then. Baseball caught my imagination! By the time I was 10 (1956) I already knew that I didn't want to live my life in Cleveland and Cincinnati caught my interest because it seemed interesting, mysterious and they had a MLB team---George Crowe, Gordy Coleman, Jim O'Toole, Smokey Burgess, Gus Bell, etc. etc. They just seemed so mystic and etherial. I even voted a 'stuffed ballot' in the '56 All-Star game. So, I've been following the Reds for 57 years now.

Moved to Cincinnati in '72. Fell in love with the city, which was heavily ingrained with baseball. After watching the Yankees walk all over the Indians for the previous decade, I marveled at all of the talent on the Reds team!

Johnny Bench just amazed me that year but, frankly Pete Rose became my favortte player of all time. The things he could do with a bat, and the way he played the game just amazed me and he's still my favorite player of all time.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

18. Likes:

Always Red (08-29-2013),OC_Red (08-30-2013),Roy Tucker (08-29-2013)

20. Likes:

Boss-Hog (08-30-2013),OC_Red (08-30-2013)

"For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

22. Likes:

OC_Red (08-30-2013)

Growing up outside of NY, but loved the Reds. Pete was my favorite player. I would watch This Week In Baseball just to see Reds highlights and Pete's headfirst slide highlight during the credits.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

24. Likes:

OC_Red (08-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Like several others here, my first baseball hero wore number 14.......but he was not Pete Rose or even a Red. I first became interested in Major League Baseball in 1964 and became a Cardinals fan, with my hero being Ken Boyer.
    After Cardinals GM Bob Howsam traded away Boyer to the Mets following the 1965 season I switched my allegiance to the Reds, and Rose did become my favorite player, but I still followed Boyer. I think Boyer deserves induction in the HOF, though that is unlikely to ever happen, and with Boyer dead 30+ years he will never enjoy such an honor.
    I've always been a Reds fan but I liked Boyer very much. I agree with you about the Hall, but, as you say, he'll never get in. I always thought he was hurt by being so comparable to Ron Santo, just as Concepcion and Trammell may hurt one another. (Voters can't bring themselves to voting for both but recognize they're so close it's hardly fair to vote one in without the other.) Boyer had one stretch of 7 or 8 years that was really good and he was exceptional in the field (on that score, IIRC, better than Santo, who also was good).

26. Likes:

OC_Red (08-30-2013),remdog (08-29-2013)

I first became a fan while watching the '71 World Series, so this guy was my first hero.

Followed the Reds the next season, and yeah, it was Pete.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

28. Likes:

Always Red (08-30-2013),OC_Red (08-30-2013)

Turn Off Ads?