Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Feel good thread! Who was your first baseball hero?

Re: Feel good thread! Who was your first baseball hero?

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Likes:

Always Red (08-29-2013),OC_Red (08-29-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (08-29-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Definitely the kid.

I remember having his Upper Deck rookie card and cherishing it. A year later I was hard up for cash as I wanted to buy a box set and was $5 short, so I traded in the card so I could purchase the 1991 set. I regretted that decision later on.

From 1996-98, I remember swearing up and down to my biology teacher Junior would sign with the Reds when he became a free agent. He thought I was nuts. I showed up in February of 2000 at my old high school to gently remind him of my prophetic ways haha
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

5. Likes:

OC_Red (08-29-2013)

First player I ever wrote a letter to and got an autograph - and a hero to me. But from 1988 on Eric Davis and then Jr. were the bees knees for me.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

7. Likes:

OC_Red (08-29-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Ok, honest question.... who pays the grading fees on a 1988 Donruss card?!

9. Likes:

757690 (09-11-2013),Larkin Fan (08-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    You don't really want to know.

I don't want this thread to get off track.

My favorite non-Red, as a kid, was Willie Mays. I obviously missed his great years (I first became baseball-aware in about 1968), but my dad was a huge fan of his and always pointed Mays out to me. One of my first memories of Crosley Field was a game against the Giants, and my dad telling me that Mays was the best player in the game (this coming from a guy who personally saw Aaron's #714- I guess dad was just a Willie guy). Dad also loved Frank Robinson. Which is funny for a guy of his time, my dad, who I remember as being kind of racist. Maybe he wasn't?

Sadly, the thing I remember most about Mays playing was the 1973 World Series, when he was just a husk of the old Mays.

By the way, in the background there, is the cripple, Ray Fosse, who had his career ended by he-who-must-not-be-named in the 1970 All Star game.
    Well keep in mind that Aaron's #714 was off in the future at that point. Aaron hit #577 in the first series at Riverfront on June 30, 1970. As for your wondering about your Dad, MLK Jr. once told Don Newcombe, "You'll never know how easy you and Jackie and Doby and Campy made it for me to do my job by what you did on the baseball field." Step by step, as they say.

And even if Aaron had been on the same field, your Dad's statement would have been true. Mays was extraordinarily good and that's no slight to Hank Aaron.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

11. Likes:

Always Red (08-29-2013),OC_Red (08-29-2013),remdog (08-29-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (08-29-2013)

Bench was my first. I had posters of him,cut out pictures of him from the newspapers and even had a plate with his face on it. It didn't hurt either that he hit a HR in the first MLB game I ever attended. Rose kinda morphed into this role as time went along but Bench was my first baseball hero.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

13. Likes:

OC_Red (08-29-2013)

You shared:

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    One day, some of us in the media were asking Frank about the best pitchers ever ever faced.

Juan Marichal? “Killed him,” Frank said.

Bob Gibson? “Killed him,” Frank Said.

Don Drysdale? “Killed him,” Frank said.

Sandy Koufax? “Killed him,” Frank said. “Wait. You said Koufax? No one killed him, and if they said they did, they’re lying.”--Richard Justice
    Frankie's telling a tale - head to head, Robinson's record against various HOF pitchers is a mixed bag (as I suspect most are - they're HOF'ers too!).

Here's the chart against pitchers presently in the Hall of Fame.

http://bbref.com/pi/shareit/dMl2o

BTW, Frank is right - not many batters had a lot of luck with Koufax, although Hank Aaron and Willie Mays did the best against. Robby was one of only three batters to hit seven HR's off Koufax.

http://bbref.com/pi/shareit/zYhWZ

And check out Pete Rose down near the bottom vs Sandy.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

15. Likes:

Always Red (08-29-2013)

I didn't think of them as "heroes", but my two early favorites for the Reds were Frankie Robinson and Vada Pinson - what a duo! I know I've shared remembering my Grandma crying when Frank was traded.

When I was ten though, Deron Johnson had his career year in 1965 when he knocked in 130 RBI's. That always stuck out in my memory.

[interesting aside - Johnson finished his career in Boston after being traded over in late September of 1975, so obviously he didn't play in the Series. He was released the following June, ending his career.]

The Baseball Bookstore

17. Likes:

OC_Red (08-29-2013)

Pete

Because as they said, he had no talent, just desire. Just like me as a little leaguer.

Mario on the mound

19. Likes:

OC_Red (08-29-2013),remdog (08-29-2013)

Vada Pinson.

21. Likes:

OC_Red (08-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Ok, honest question.... who pays the grading fees on a 1988 Donruss card?!
    Ya. That'd be tough. Don't laugh but I have 2 20 box cases of '88 donruss in my basement right now. I am considering opening every pack pulling out the Alomar's and Glavine's and burning the rest.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Like so many others it would have to be Junior. Not my first favorite player. That would probably be Walt Weiss but definitely first Hero. Just had a son whose nickname is Griffey so yeah I guess he would qualify haha

24. Likes:

OC_Red (08-29-2013)

Favorite non-Red ever!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

26. Likes:

Big Klu (09-11-2013),OC_Red (08-29-2013)

Griffey and Jeter. Wish I would have come a Yankees fan instead of a Reds fan sometimes though lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

28. Likes:

OC_Red (08-29-2013)

part of BBN

George Foster was my favorite ! I had Foster baseball cards taped to my bedroom wall back then since I didnt have any posters.

30. Likes:

OC_Red (08-29-2013)

Turn Off Ads?