Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the DH?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like it

6 10.17%
  • Hate it

45 76.27%
  • No strong opinion

8 13.56%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DH-Like it or hate it?

Re: DH-Like it or hate it?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You know what they say about assumptions
    I think if you took a poll of people, those against the DH would be in the age grouping say 35+ and older and those wanting the DH would be 34 and under.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    I think if you took a poll of people, those against the DH would be in the age grouping say 35+ and older and those wanting the DH would be 34 and under.
    I'm significantly younger than 35 and hate the Dh. I have a brother who is 19 and hates the dh. I don't think your opinion is probably to scientific.

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-31-2013),westofyou (08-31-2013)

ron Bloomberg, Orlando cepeda and hal macrae loved it

To quote Robert Zimmerman, I used to care, but things have changed.

A year or so after the DH was adopted I voted (by mail!) in a DH poll and was quoted as representative of the anti's in the ensuing story. Over the years my dislike grew. For some reason, in recent years, I have relented. While I enjoy seeing capable pitchers hit, from Don Gullet through Mike Leake, I also like seeing big, lumbering guys like Adam Dunn find a place in the game. My main complaint these days is that too many teams don't use it right. Look at the guys the Reds have used in interleague play, for instance. The Reds, iirc, used the first interleaue DH in the '76 World Series, Dan Driessen. A pretty good choice. He had been a butcher at third but later became a good-fielding first baseman. I have to admit that even then, I liked seeing him in the lineup.

So I'm an old guy who used to at least claim to hate the DH (kind of like I claimed to hate Disco while listening to ELO and others mix disco and rock) but who is beginning to chang his mind.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-31-2013)

The dh is great for Encarnacion

I hate it, but NL teams have a clear disadvantage when playing in AL parks.

Everybody needs to have the DH or no one.

Yes it prolongs the careers of veteran players who can still swing the lumber but it also takes away from the strategy of the game for a manager of when to pinch hit or leave a pitcher in the game. You can't please everybody. Those players should just retire and become coaches. To me it's like a HALF MAN not a real man. It's like when you were kids playing ball and when it's time to take the field there would always be some kid who couldn't because his mommy called him home for diner. That's what the DH means to me. Disappointing Halfman

Also if you're a dad what are you supposed to say to your young son or daughter about what a dh is. It sends a message that if you don't try as hard in the field that's okay you could always become a dh. Bad for Baseball.

I think its hilarious to see AL pitchers who have to try and bat in these interleague games or in the WS. Just foolish looking, and very entertaining.
    "I had a cigar in my back pocket...I didn't wanna break it." - Bartholomew "Bump" Bailey

topsyt

Hated it for past 40 years. It dummies the game down-what is next-8 designated defenders and 9 designated hitters and Usain Bolt as the anytime designated runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    I hate it, but NL teams have a clear disadvantage when playing in AL parks.

Everybody needs to have the DH or no one.
    I tend to agree.

That being said I think the biggest disadvantage for NL teams is in the free agent market because they don't have the luxury of sticking an aging hitter at DH in final few years of their long term contract. If Miguel Cabrera or Prince Fielder become a complete liability in the field (assuming they aren't already) the Tigers can stick one at DH, the Reds don't have that option with Joey Votto.

Personally, I can't stand it, but have resigned myself to the fact that it will be in both leagues within 2 years. Here's why.

The Union will never let it disappear, it's jobs for too many players, and most DHs have multi year contracts, so setting an arbitrary date to eliminate it would cause all sorts of problems.

The N.L. is currently at a disadvantage when it comes to the DH. In the AL, the DH is more often than not one of the better hitters, and as such, not cheap. Currently in the NL, the DH (when needed) is one of the bench bats, usually a part time player making close to league minimum.

Finally, the DH allows players on the downside of their career to prolong them, and bats are always in demand.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

Well, the inconsistent, anemic hitting Reds would benefit from the DH.

I'm not really against the DH, but I do get annoyed by the hardcore DH fanboys who complain about how boring it is to see a pitcher bat. I usually respond to them by saying something like:

"Well, most catchers and shortstops are bad hitters, too. Why not have a DH for them as well. In fact, why not have DHs for every position on the field so great hitters can hit and great fielders can field. This is pretty much what you see on football teams already and the NFL is pretty exciting".

They either respond with how that's a stupid idea or they shut up. People need to understand that DHing only for the pitcher is a completely arbitrary decision.

18. Likes:

dfs (09-16-2013)

Well, for the "boring offense" guys we could go all NFL and have all defense teams where gloves play - and then all offense lineups where only the bat matters. Expand rosters to 45. Then old timers could hark back to the old days of the "two way" players and sportscasters could marvel at the iron durability of the rare player who played both ways in a game.

Turn Off Ads?