Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the DH?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like it

6 10.17%
  • Hate it

45 76.27%
  • No strong opinion

8 13.56%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DH-Like it or hate it?

Re: DH-Like it or hate it?

Hitler was fan of the DH, Mao too... nuff ced.

2. Likes:

meigsred (08-31-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    changes:

Interleague Play
    Realignment
    Addition of WC
    Smaller ballparks
    Replay
    Additional Replay
    Stipulation placed on All Star game

These are just some of the changes that MLB has done to make the game more exciting to younger fans. Younger fans are what will drive this game down the road, the old farts of "yesterday's game" are dying off. Either you grow, change and adapt or you fall behind Hockey.
    Old farts are what keeps baseball going, young guys just invent the woo and look at the girls at the misters in the outfield.

5. Likes:

Joseph (08-29-2013), RedFanAlways1966 (08-29-2013), RedlegJake (08-30-2013), Revering4Blue (08-29-2013)

Having the pitcher bats brings a varied texture to the batting order that makes the game more interesting and allows for varied strategy. In the AL, you pitch the same to every batter. In the NL you may have a man on second and third and walk that #8 in order to get to the pitcher. .....And said pitcher then really does control a good bit of his own destiny with what he does during that at bat.

Folks say watching the pitcher bat is boring, but I think it's the other way around. I think AL baseball becomes thoughtless.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

7. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-31-2013), bagz (09-02-2013), remdog (08-29-2013)

I hate it for the NL, but don't mind that it is in the AL (because I don't watch or care about the AL).

The pitcher hitting makes for so many interesting strategies and situations. The AL could have 9 DH's and 9 different fielders for all I care.

Insulting hockey will get you nowhere!

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

10. Likes:

Red in Chicago (08-31-2013), Revering4Blue (08-29-2013), westofyou (08-29-2013)

I am against the DH and would hate for the NL to adopt it, but the thing that worries me is that the NL is just about the last place left where you don't see it. College, HS, the minors, little league, knothole... "baseball" for the most part now includes a DH by default. As far as the DH goes, the NL is now the exception, not the rule.

12. Likes:

RedsBaron (08-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Nosirrah View Post
    The problem with 2 sets of rules isn't about the regular season, it's about the World Series.

The 2 different rules force very different lineup construction, and that becomes a disadvantage in the WS, especially for the NL team. Batting a pitcher is roughly equal for both leagues, but an NL bench player is always going to be worse than an AL full-time DH. Heisey or Encarnacion - which would you rather have DH?

It's like playing a Fantasy Football league with 2 divisions with 2 different scoring systems and having the winner of each meet in the finals. Would you want to build a team with 6pt per passing TD and PPR, then play the championship game with 4pt per TD and non-PPR? That's what MLB has done, and the stakes are a LOT higher!!
    Considering the fact that the NL has won 4 out of the last 5 World Series, the "disadvantage" argument holds little water.

You totally lost me with the Fantasy Football comparison, as I pay about as much attention to fantasy sports as I do the Jewelry Channel -- ie:could care less.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 08-29-2013 at 11:26 PM.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

14. Likes:

westofyou (08-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Old farts are what keeps baseball going, young guys just invent the woo and look at the girls at the misters in the outfield.
    Old guys die, if you don't bring in the young fan you have no fans at all.

Can I assume that most here whom oppose the DH in the NL are probably "old school" folk, people who want the game to be what it was in the 50-60 and 70's? Can I also guess that most whom oppose the DH believe it is also a bad idea with expanded replay?

Can I assume that most here whom oppose the DH in the NL are probably "old school" folk, people who want the game to be what it was in the 50-60 and 70's? Can I also guess that most whom oppose the DH believe it is also a bad idea with expanded replay?
    You know what they say about assumptions

Quote Originally Posted by usfldan View Post
    I am against the DH and would hate for the NL to adopt it, but the thing that worries me is that the NL is just about the last place left where you don't see it. College, HS, the minors, little league, knothole... "baseball" for the most part now includes a DH by default. As far as the DH goes, the NL is now the exception, not the rule.
    I don't like the DH and I was opposed to it when the AL adopted it 40 years ago, but with virtually all of organized baseball using the DH there is a good argument for the NL to follow suit.
    Bid McPhee probably thought it was a terrible idea for fielders to wear gloves and thought they should be banned, but I would hate for the Reds to still not using gloves while the rest of MLB made use of that innovation.
    I would also like the option of moving Joey Votto to DH during the final years of his contract. I wonder if the lack of a DH puts the NL at a competitive disadvantage, despite recent World Series results.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-31-2013)

The idea of watching someone who can't hit, only plays on "occasion" and doesn't take much hitting practice actually hit in the game is horrible. Add to that the risks involved and how valuable pitchers are, the DH is needed.
    To me, the idea of a batter-not a baseball player- who cant play the field, only bats on occasion is horrible.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

21. Likes:

meigsred (08-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Considering the fact that the NL has won 4 out of the last 5 World Series, the "disadvantage" argument holds little water.
    I'm not sure that holds little water is fair. It's pretty solid logic as your typical bench hitter for the NL is not usually going to hit as well as an everyday starter AL DH. That doesn't mean it's impossible to overcome, because a few things should balance it out:

1. Your bench player SHOULD be an improvement over your pitcher.
    2. Sept 1 you can expand your roster... if you have a solid shot at the postseason you should know by Sept 1 and can bolster your bench with any Minor League callups, and Waiver Trade deadline at the end of August.

I still say they are at a disadvantage, but can be mitigated and any GM/Manager not keeping an eye on the bench for the post season is a fool.

That being said I did do some digging into the last 5 World Series:

1. 2012 - NL Win, 2 Games in AL Park, 2 Games in NL Park (Wash)
    2. 2011 - NL Win, 3 Games in AL Park, 4 Games in NL Park (NL Favor)
    3. 2010 - NL Win, 3 Games in AL Park, 2 Games in NL Park (AL Favor)
    4. 2009 - AL Win, 3 Games in AL Park, 3 Games in NL Park (Wash)
    5. 2008 - NL Win, 2 Games in AL Park, 3 Games in NL Park (NL Favor)

NL won the world series only once when the home field advantage was on the AL side.

Bottom Line to a long story..... there is a disadvantage there... but management should be able to manage their way around those issues. It's not a favor swinger all on its own by a long shot but it certainly can be a difference maker.

changes:
    Interleague Play
    Realignment
    Addition of WC
    Smaller ballparks
    Replay
    Additional Replay
    Stipulation placed on All Star game
    With respect to your list, 20 years ago puts us at 1993. That really was the bad old days between the owners and the union. I think the biggest change in baseball during that time was the owners realizing that if they continued to characterize the players as spoiled children and fight the union at every turn, they would drive people away from the sport.

Instead the owners decided that they could live with a smaller percentage of a larger pie. Related to that would be owners figuring out they could hijack the public trust into building stadiums for them.

Sure, you see comments about the union and money spoiling things now and then, but that was a huge part of the landscape of baseball then and it's pretty much gone now.

If you want to talk about on the field I would add to your list the improvements in umpiring. As bad as the umpiring is now, it used to be much worse and the umps were far more belligerent as well.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

The idea of watching someone who can't hit, only plays on "occasion" and doesn't take much hitting practice actually hit in the game is horrible. Add to that the risks involved and how valuable pitchers are, the DH is needed.
    I always found the argument that pitchers can't hit to be the equivalent of saying Shaq should've had a designated FT shooter during his career just because he was bad at them. Besides, if pitchers deserve a DH, catchers definitely do too.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    To me, the idea of a batter-not a baseball player- who cant play the field, only bats on occasion is horrible.
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    I'm not sure that holds little water is fair. It's pretty solid logic as your typical bench hitter for the NL is not usually going to hit as well as an everyday starter AL DH. That doesn't mean it's impossible to overcome, because a few things should balance it out:

1. Your bench player SHOULD be an improvement over your pitcher.
    2. Sept 1 you can expand your roster... if you have a solid shot at the postseason you should know by Sept 1 and can bolster your bench with any Minor League callups, and Waiver Trade deadline at the end of August.

I still say they are at a disadvantage, but can be mitigated and any GM/Manager not keeping an eye on the bench for the post season is a fool.

That being said I did do some digging into the last 5 World Series:

1. 2012 - NL Win, 2 Games in AL Park, 2 Games in NL Park (Wash)
    2. 2011 - NL Win, 3 Games in AL Park, 4 Games in NL Park (NL Favor)
    3. 2010 - NL Win, 3 Games in AL Park, 2 Games in NL Park (AL Favor)
    4. 2009 - AL Win, 3 Games in AL Park, 3 Games in NL Park (Wash)
    5. 2008 - NL Win, 2 Games in AL Park, 3 Games in NL Park (NL Favor)

NL won the world series only once when the home field advantage was on the AL side.

Bottom Line to a long story..... there is a disadvantage there... but management should be able to manage their way around those issues. It's not a favor swinger all on its own by a long shot but it certainly can be a difference maker.
    While NL teams certainly are at a disadvantage in AL parks, I think AL teams might be at an even bigger disadvantage in NL parks, mostly because of the managing aspect. Without the DH, NL teams must have deeper benches for pinch hitters and double switches, something which AL managers aren't use to doing as much. And for full time DH's who are liabilities in the field, they either have to be taken out of the lineup or their defensive liabilities are exposed.

Turn Off Ads?