Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Do you want Phillips traded or do you think he'll get traded in the off season?

Resident PED Expert

Re: Do you want Phillips traded or do you think he'll get traded in the off season?

I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe this point was made already.

I could see the team losing out in the Cano sweepstakes (Dodgers/Yankees) be more than willing to take on Phillips contract. He'd be a bargin in retrospective to what Cano is going to cost, provides plus D and has a all around decent bat.

So yes. I would be very open to trading Phillips. Especially if it ment freeing up money and keeping Choo.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you want Phillips traded or do you think he'll get traded in the off season?

Never should have signed him to the deal they signed him to.

$12 mil a year for a 2B on the wrong side of 30 is a horrendous deal

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe this point was made already.

I could see the team losing out in the Cano sweepstakes (Dodgers/Yankees) be more than willing to take on Phillips contract. He'd be a bargin in retrospective to what Cano is going to cost, provides plus D and has a all around decent bat.

So yes. I would be very open to trading Phillips. Especially if it ment freeing up money and keeping Choo.
    I think we're on the same page kinda.

I'm not seeking out teams to trade Phillips if I'm Walt...

Because with his age...contract...possible reputation around front offices...I don't think we could get equal value for what he is to the Reds/city/fans.

That said if the Dodgers can't afford Cano, but want to make a name splash for 2B, and come calling...I don't hang up till I hear what they would offer.

Dodgers get Brandon Phillips

Reds get Joc Pederson

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Never should have signed him to the deal they signed him to.

$12 mil a year for a 2B on the wrong side of 30 is a horrendous deal
    Maybe. But do the Reds have a serviceable 2B in the pipeline? 12 MM is 2.4 WAR in free agency. I'm not concerned a bit unless BP becomes replacement level.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    A ton of teams would jump at his contract.
    No way. There might be 1-2 and Walt should take the call on the first ring to see what they would offer. Every available dollar needs to go to locking up this starting staff past 2014/2015 and this contract isn't going to help. Reds should have stuck to a 5-yr max deal.

Four painful years left on this contract and his below 100+ OPS is headed for a career low by 30-40 pts since joining the Reds in 2005. Baserunning and speed really seem to be diminishing at a shocking pace.

This is a bad contract and about to get really bad now that datdude is on the other side of 32.

I'd easily rather have Choo the next 4 seasons over BP.
    Last edited by oregonred; 08-30-2013 at 02:39 AM.

8. Likes:

remdog (08-30-2013)

No, I don't WANT to BP traded.

No, I really don't think he'll be dealt.

I'd be surprised if they did considering it wasn't that long ago that he got his extension and they value his defense too much. Besides, who would replace him?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Dodgers get Brandon Phillips

Reds get Joc Pederson

While I like Pederson, I'd want more than that. I wouldn't trade BP straight up for a prospect who was not a Top 10 prospect in the game.

Phillips for Pederson and Corey Seager? Now you're talking...

(But I don't really want to trade Phillips)
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    As a 38 year-old with increasingly limited flexibility, I can personally attest to the fact that BP is going to slow down dramatically over the next 4 seasons. Sure, he's a professional athlete, so he's going to stand a better chance than yours truly. But some of it is just unavoidable; it's just part of aging. In some ways, I think BP's O is more likely to stick around throughout the contract than his D. But without his D, he's more replaceable in my opinion.
    I'm 52. Didn't really start feeling it till I was 45-46. I think it is a personal thing. You do slow down some, but it's different for different people. I can still throw BP with anyone. Problem is, last time I threw to my son's 16U travel team, it took me 3 days to get over it where up until just a few years a ago, I was ready to go the next day. I think the problem was, the juices got flowing and I had to prove to myself that I could still throw it by them a few times. Satisfaction in the moment and pain for three days.

By the way, include Fay, Doc, and Sheldon in that trade to the Cubs just to balance things out.

12. Likes:

remdog (08-30-2013)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'd be open to trading Marty and Thom to the Padres for Dick Enberg and a minor league announcer. If they wouldn't do that deal, I'd make it irresistible by throwing in the Reds beat writer of their choice and a truckload of Christian Moerlein Hefeweizen.
    /r/reds

14. Likes:

HokieRed (08-30-2013),KittyDuran (08-30-2013),lollipopcurve (08-30-2013),oneupper (08-30-2013),Tom Servo (08-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    No way. There might be 1-2 and Walt should take the call on the first ring to see what they would offer. Every available dollar needs to go to locking up this starting staff past 2014/2015 and this contract isn't going to help. Reds should have stuck to a 5-yr max deal.

Four painful years left on this contract and his below 100+ OPS is headed for a career low by 30-40 pts since joining the Reds in 2005. Baserunning and speed really seem to be diminishing at a shocking pace.

This is a bad contract and about to get really bad now that datdude is on the other side of 32.

I'd easily rather have Choo the next 4 seasons over BP.
    Locking up the pitching staff and providing an inferior defense behind them is a fool's errand.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2b is an odd position to fill. It seems like you can find anybody to play good defense and hit .700, but in reality you could be really sorry. Had the Reds kept Didi, maybe then. Or perhaps if Henry Rodriguez hadn't fallen completely flat, maybe then. Or maybe even if Billy Hamilton would be an option. But in reality there aren't any good replacement options in sight. For hypothetical sake:

2015:

Choo LF
    Hamilton 2b/CF
    Votto 1b
    Mez C
    Bruce RF
    Ervin OF
    Frazier 3b
    Cozart SS

Move Frazier to 2B. I am half serious.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

18. Likes:

RedsManRick (08-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I'd be open to trading Marty and Thom to the Padres for Dick Enberg and a minor league announcer. If they wouldn't do that deal, I'd make it irresistible by throwing in the Reds beat writer of their choice and a truckload of Christian Moerlein Hefeweizen.
    Isn't Enberg on the wrong side of 80?
    Best years probably behind him

With Frazier's defense at 3B, I wonder if he could still handle SS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?