Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tommy Morrison, 1969-2013

Tommy Morrison, 1969-2013

Morrison died last week at the age of 44. He had a fascinating, tragic life. Being the next "Great White Hope", staring in Rocky V, contracting HIV, dealing with mental issues. Really amazing, sad stuff.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...ison-1969-2013

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Tommy Morrison, 1969-2013

Or maybe not contracting HIV.

That is the thing that still gets me the most. He has both passed and failed tests for it in his life. It is very strange.

It is sad to hear about it. I am a huge boxing fan and while I was just 12 when he was finished, I knew about him (more because of his Rocky V role, which led me to knowing who he was when he would fight on HBO) and would be sure to check in for his fights for the last couple of years of his career.

I haven't read this article linked yet, but there was another article on him about a week ago that really dived into the whole situation and its really depressing to read about how things were between him, his wife/fiance and his mother.

I don't think there is any question he had AIDS. At least not to anyone who thinks AIDS actually exists and is not just a vast government conspiracy.

He fully admitted having unprotected sex with multiple women after his diagnosis.

That puts a lump in my throat.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I don't think there is any question he had AIDS. At least not to anyone who thinks AIDS actually exists and is not just a vast government conspiracy.
    To be technical, we absolutely do not know that he had AIDS. He tested positive for HIV, though he later insisted he didn't have HIV. We don't know if he was ever diagnosed with full blown AIDS.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I suppose it's possible that he contracted HIV and then died of a separate disease that looked suspiciously similar to AIDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I suppose it's possible that he contracted HIV and then died of a separate disease that looked suspiciously similar to AIDS.
    How so? All we know is that he was hospitalized and he passed away. We don't know his symptoms or why he was in the hospital.

The guy was a boxer. Given the propensity for brain damage or potential side effects from steroid use, there could be a lot of explanations to his passing that have nothing to do with his alleged HIV.

It's certainly possible he did have AIDS. And that might indeed be the reason he died. But at this point, that's nothing more than a big assumption.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Given that he contracted HIV, I don't think it's taking too big a leap to AIDS. Particularly if you read the ESPN article from last week.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

That is the problem guys, Morrison actually passed tests saying he didn't have HIV/AIDS in the 2006-2007 range, or so that is the story.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...test-big-fight
    He staged a comeback in 2007, tested negative for HIV, but questions swirled over whether the blood was actually his.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Just saw today that his autopsy said nothing of HIV. Now I don't know if it would have since that technically wasn't what he passed from.

Turn Off Ads?