Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walt Jocketty grade before and after April 1, 2013

Re: Walt Jocketty grade before and after April 1, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    You've got to be kidding?

You're basing a GM's grade on how many news stories he produces?
    I didn't base my grade on it. I used it as anecdotal evidence as to how "quiet" Jocketty has been this season compared to one of his peers. Newspapers and blogs and websites write 10x more articles with Alex's name in them vs. Walt's. He generates no news, no excitement, no rumors etc. It's just a piece of evidence to the puzzle.

Make what you want out of it.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    It strikes me that having invested so much time, money and effort in this year's team the Reds would spring for one-sixth of most players' salaries if they thought it would help the team get to the WS. Assuming players on a one-year contract.

My guess is Walt is reluctant to trade prospects from the farm and hasn't been blown away by anyone on the market.
    I think this is 2 related parts. Yes they could pay the salary at 1/4 or 1/6th but again, they weren't exactly blown away by what was available or were dismayed by the cost of acquisition.

He also put a lot of hope in Ludwick, who was signed for two years and is the clean up man.
    Here I think Walt may have miscalculated the time it will take Lud to get back in full swing - he is a slow starter historically. That bodes well for the post season but not for the rest of the regular season, or not until late in September. The good thing is Lud should be heating up as the post season rolls around. The dilemma is - not playing him he doesn't get back at all, playing him he takes time to get back. The best answer may have been an early trade for a replacement when he was first injured but that is spilled milk now. Obviously they thought a mix of Paul/Robinson/Heisey would turn the trick. It was a miscalculation.

I think there is also a chance that Walt is planning a major restructuring of the team this coming off-season and wants to hold his assets until he can make broader changes.
    I think a restructuring may be too broad but certainly he may be holding back a bit to see how Bailey and Latos respond to possible contract overtures, Arroyo and Choo, how Ludwick plays out the year, and what the med staff tells him about Cueto and Marshall. Walt has to have a feel for all that when he goes to the winter meetings.

But simply a question that the Reds are cash-strapped to the point they can't add a player? Not at all sure of that.
    I think they can add a minor player or too, or could have - but nothing major.

And he could still do something meaningful today. Tick tock.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Other than Byrd, is there a player that changed teams that you really wanted the Reds to get?

I concede Byrd might have helped, but the timing was bad. Ludwick was healthy when the Mets finally relented and traded him. Sure, Byrd could've potentially helped as a bench bat or on Ludwick's day off, but I guess I don't consider it a huge miss, especially if part of the price was taking on Buck or some other salary.

It would've been nice to pick up another reliever, but I can't recall a good one that was traded this year, other than perhaps Rypechenski or whatever his name was (The Cards sent him to Cleveland for a pretty nice infield prospect). Doubt the Cards would've given us bulllpen help though

Walt did this offseason what a lot of us have wanted.. He blew all his money in the offseason.. thus we had Choo for an entire year instead of struggling and making a big trade at the deadline.
    I disagree with Broxton being a mistake too. He got hurt. That happens.
    Not much different than Ludwick getting hurt (and it seems that has gotten little criticism here).

I give Walt a B+ after Apr 1, because he did his work before the season started, and the sellers really weren't selling much this year...
    Sure, he could've done better, but we're still making the playoffs (barring a historic collapse).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Other than Byrd, is there a player that changed teams that you really wanted the Reds to get?

I concede Byrd might have helped, but the timing was bad. Ludwick was healthy when the Mets finally relented and traded him. Sure, Byrd could've potentially helped as a bench bat or on Ludwick's day off, but I guess I don't consider it a huge miss, especially if part of the price was taking on Buck or some other salary.
    The bigger question for me re: Byrd is why didn't Walt (or any NL GM for that matter) block the Pirates from getting him?

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    The bigger question for me re: Byrd is why didn't Walt (or any NL GM for that matter) block the Pirates from getting him?
    I think it's the reason that someone else stated earlier.
    There's probably a "gentleman's agreement" not to claim a guy that you don't want, just for the sake of blocking someone else.
    Sure, some GMs ignore that unwritten rule, but it probably makes it more difficult for them to make a waiver deal when they want to.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I think it's the reason that someone else stated earlier.
    There's probably a "gentleman's agreement" not to claim a guy that you don't want, just for the sake of blocking someone else.
    Sure, some GMs ignore that unwritten rule, but it probably makes it more difficult for them to make a waiver deal when they want to.
    I was unaware of that "agreement". I think it's a rather silly one myself.

My buddy pointed something out to me the other day which I am not sure whether or not to agree with.

He claimed that he thinks Walt is still a Cardinal. Which at first I was skeptical about, but then I thought about it further.

Walt has signed or aquired a lot of guys that have been former Cardinals.

Scott Rolen, Miguel Cairo, Ryan Ludwick, Jim Edmonds, Edgar Renteria. I am sure there are more that I do not realize or know of. Anyways, some of these guys have panned out and some haven't, but they were all former Cardinals and were signed or aquired past their primes. I can see a little resemblance of Walt possibly still being a Cardinal at heart. I understand this season that asking prices were high, but to pass on Byrd when you know your rival and contender for Division Lead is needing him, you have to sign him.

My friend's biggest argument was that Walt put Dusty in there because he could field a competitive team, but his stubborness wouldn't allow the Reds to go anywhere besides NLDS. I honestly disagree with him, but I can see how one might perceive this notion.

I give Walt an A before the season and I give him a C after Opening Day. That grade could rise if Choo is resigned or we find a way to aquire future or immediate improvements to SS, 3B, BP, and OF depth.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    My buddy pointed something out to me the other day which I am not sure whether or not to agree with.

He claimed that he thinks Walt is still a Cardinal. Which at first I was skeptical about, but then I thought about it further.

Walt has signed or aquired a lot of guys that have been former Cardinals.

Scott Rolen, Miguel Cairo, Ryan Ludwick, Jim Edmonds, Edgar Renteria. I am sure there are more that I do not realize or know of. Anyways, some of these guys have panned out and some haven't, but they were all former Cardinals and were signed or aquired past their primes. I can see a little resemblance of Walt possibly still being a Cardinal at heart. I understand this season that asking prices were high, but to pass on Byrd when you know your rival and contender for Division Lead is needing him, you have to sign him.

My friend's biggest argument was that Walt put Dusty in there because he could field a competitive team, but his stubborness wouldn't allow the Reds to go anywhere besides NLDS. I honestly disagree with him, but I can see how one might perceive this notion.

I give Walt an A before the season and I give him a C after Opening Day. That grade could rise if Choo is resigned or we find a way to aquire future or immediate improvements to SS, 3B, BP, and OF depth.

I think your buddy is wrong about this one. Most people in Walt's shoes would have a drive to beat the Cards, show them he can do it without them.

On the former player front, I think that can be explained through just a familiarity with those players. Epstein has acquired ex Red Sox, and each new GM is just comfortable with players from their old teams.

On Dusty, there are rumors true or not, that he is not Walt's first choice. Dusty was hired by Krivsky, and has had a winning season each time his contract was due to expire. Making it difficult to replace him if Jocketty wanted to.

Turn Off Ads?