Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Heisman Trophy winners who have quarterbacked an NFL team to a playoff win

Heisman Trophy winners who have quarterbacked an NFL team to a playoff win

I read something today in the sports page of The Wall Street Journal (yes, the WSJ has a sports page) that I did not know. Only four quarterbacks have won the Heisman Trophy and then went on to be the starting quarterback for an NFL team that won a playoff game. Mind you, this isn't quarterbacks who, after winning the Heisman, went on to win an NFL championship. Only four such quarterbacks even won a single NFL playoff game!
    Can anyone name all four? I got three.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Heisman Trophy winners who have quarterbacked an NFL team to a playoff win

One of them stands a pretty good chance of getting cut tomorrow.

4. Likes:

Dom Heffner (08-31-2013)

Charlie Ward won a few NBA playoff games.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I only got two of them right. In fairness, they were the only two of the four who won Heisman Trophies while I was alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

WSJ has a good sports page on Fridays

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    A 100% chance...

Jim Plunkett, Roger Staubach, Tim Tebow and Carson Palmer? Did Palmer ever win playoff game?

If not Palmer then I would guess Vinny T.
    Last edited by Puffy; 08-31-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Vinny Testaverde
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Jim Plunkett, Roger Staubach, Tim Tebow and Carson Palmer? Did Palmer ever win playoff game?

Palmer hasn't won a playoff game.

But Kosar has.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post

Plunkett, Staubach, Tebow and Vinny Testaverde are the four.
    I think this is part reflects the different demands of college and pro football, and in part the results of some poor Heisman voting. As an example of the former, while Tebow (who did QB one playoff game victory) certainly looks as if he will never be a first rate NFL quarterback, he was a very effective college QB and probably deserved his Heisman. As an example of the latter, Joe Namath probably deserved the Heisman in 1964 but voters deemed the best college player in the land to be fellow senior QB John Huarte of Notre Dame.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I thought Kosar won a Heisman. Nevermind

Turn Off Ads?