Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who plays CF in 2014?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Who plays CF in 2014?

It seems increasingly unlikely that it'll be Choo. I still don't think Hamilton will be ready, recent hot streak aside.

I would like them to find the Choo of 2014 if one is out there. My guy to look at would be Colby Rasmus. Toronto wasn't anything great this year, and Rasmus is only under contract for one more year. Even if Toronto feels like they can contend, I feel like a player under a one year contract could be had for the right offer, if you can convince a team on the fringe like Toronto you can still help their roster out even without him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who plays CF in 2014?

I would still like for them to find a way to make it be Choo for another year. Probably not gonna happen, but the guy has been vital to our success this season and would hate to lose him at the top of the order.
    Is it "next season" yet?

4. Likes:

remdog (08-30-2013)

Center fielders

Rick Ankiel (34)
    Coco Crisp (34) - $7.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Rajai Davis (33)
    Jacoby Ellsbury (30)
    Curtis Granderson (33)
    Franklin Gutierrez (31) - $7.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
    Tony Gwynn Jr. (31)
    Nyjer Morgan (33)
    Andres Torres (36)
    Chris Young (30) - $11MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout

These are the Free Agents for Centerfield, according to mlbtraderumors.com. Pretty bleak outside of Granderson and Ellsbury. They will be really expensive and may be cheaper to re-sign Choo. I really hope they do and sell him this team's ability to contend for the next 3 years.

Otherwise the Reds are going to fill it internally with Heisey and maybe Hamilton if he ready.
    Last edited by Trajinous; 08-30-2013 at 05:54 PM.

I know he makes a decent amount now, but this will be Choo's one and most likely only chance at a huge contract. He's not going to take a discount IMO.

I like what Heisey brings in CF actually, but only if they had an above average bat in LF, and I don't think Ludwick can provide that. I'd take Crisp but financially I see Hamilton getting the keys.

No thanks on Heisey. He's best when used in small doses.

8. Likes:

Benihana (09-01-2013),Edd Roush (09-01-2013),OnBaseMachine (09-01-2013),WVRedsFan (09-02-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    No thanks on Heisey. He's best when used in small doses.
    Yeah, they have to do better than that. Need a real starter in CF.

10. Likes:

WVRedsFan (09-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yeah, they have to do better than that. Need a real starter in CF.
    Like Stubbs, Patterson or Taveras....

12. Likes:

dwyerbrg (09-03-2013),oneupper (09-01-2013)

Of that list only Granderson and Ellsbury are really much better than Heisey, imo. Neither of them are going to be worth what they get, either. A platoon partner for Heisey maybe? Crisp against righties is .287/.359/.467/.827
    Heisey against lefties .270/.317/.541/.858
    Gutierrez against righties .283/.313/.630/.943

note that Gutierrez will almost certainly be bought out of his option (500K buyout against a 7.5mm opt)since he is a health risk (only 149 games since 2011) but if he could be signed to a 1 year low cost "prove yourself again" type deal he might be a good risk and an excellent platoon partner for Chris

Hamilton will open in 2014. If he falters, we may see Ervin faster than we though.

Depending on how the team feels about Hamilton for next season, there are tiers to this question.

Reds think Hamilton is "close": Cheap stopgap for a season. DeJesus would have worked here had they claimed him. Tells me they either didn't think highly of him for the job, didn't have the money, or think maybe the Rays will cut him loose after the season, and could get him cheaper then.
    If money is super tight, I could see DRob and Heisey platoon, while hoping Hamilton is ready by midseason or earlier.

If Reds think Hamilton is a year+ away: I would look into players such as Gerrardo Parra( poor man's Choo), Emilio Bonifacio( and hope he rebounds), or some other fringy type CF.

Anyone but Choo, or anyone else that bad defensively.

Billy Hamilton will play CF for the Reds in 2014. The question is: when in 2014 will he play CF for the Reds?

I'm guessing before the All-Star break, but after opening day. That's a problem for the Reds. They really can't commit to a genuine CF, but don't want to have a D. Robinson type there for a few months into the season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

18. Likes:

Benihana (09-01-2013)

Peter Bourjos. Coming off a down year, might be relatively inexpensive to acquire in terms of talent and I think he's got good potential to breakout.

I have my doubts about Hamilton being much more than a 4th or 5th outfielder at the major league level. Plus he's one hamstring injury away from being very ordinary. I wouldn't stop my search for a CF just because of him.

Best case scenario is to re-sign Choo and then move him to LF in 2015 but we all know that's the longest of long shots. Still would make a qualifying offer and see what happens.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    All right. Let's bring back Stubbs.
    I deserved that. (and knew it was coming)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

My first choice is for the Reds to find a way to sign Choo. Choo would slide to LF in 2015 when Ludwick leaves and BHam or Ervin are ready.

Barring that, DeJesus is an option, but really I would expect this Reds administration to hand BHam the keys.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?