Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ken Griffey not a Reds HOF'er?

Ken Griffey not a Reds HOF'er?

One thing that stood out to me was noticing Ken Griffey was not wearing the Reds Hall of Fame blazer at the Joe Morgan tribute. I just assumed he was in their hall. I think he belongs there with his teammates.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ken Griffey not a Reds HOF'er?

according to the reds website, he was inducted in 2004. the blazer might have been too small now

4. Likes:

Ironman92 (09-08-2013),jojo (09-08-2013),remdog (09-09-2013)

He's in. Inducted in 2004. But Pete is not.

6. Likes:

dougdirt (09-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    according to the reds website, he was inducted in 2004. the blazer might have been too small now
    Okay. Perhaps they should go ahead and give him a new one. lol
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Has always kind of amazed me that only Bench, Morgan and Perez (and Sparky) made Cooperstown.

Rose is, of course a special case.

But, from Geronimo, Concepcion, Griffey and Foster...nada. Wrong.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    Has always kind of amazed me that only Bench, Morgan and Perez (and Sparky) made Cooperstown.

o.
    Not me, Concepcion is the only other one who is close to being worthy but he doesnt get my vote.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

10. Likes:

Always Red (09-08-2013),armybrat45103 (09-08-2013),HokieRed (09-08-2013),marcshoe (09-08-2013),terminator (09-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post

Rose is, of course a special case.

But, from Geronimo, Concepcion, Griffey and Foster...nada. Wrong.
    I'd say only Concepcion of that group would have a case and it's kind of iffy IMO. Many would say Perez doesn't belong (I'm not one of them).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I'm a huge Davey fan, and think he does belong.

If Dave Concepcion belongs, so does Alan Trammel.

And Lou Whitaker, too.

If Pee Wee Reese and Phil Rizutto are in the HoF, all 3 of those guys belong too.
    sorry we're boring

13. Likes:

Falcon7 (09-09-2013),Number_Fourteen (09-09-2013),OnBaseMachine (09-09-2013),remdog (09-09-2013),TRF (09-09-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (09-09-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I'm a huge Davey fan, and think he does belong.

If Dave Concepcion belongs, so does Alan Trammel.

And Lou Whitaker, too.

If Pee Wee Reese and Phil Rizutto are in the HoF, all 3 of those guys belong too.
    I think you can make a case for one guys, especially since some players like you cited are in, but the thing that sets Davey apart from a Trammel (in my view) is he was considered the best in his league at his position for a decade. Trammel may have been thought of that way in certain seasons, but not a decade like Davey was.

To me, that's where sometimes we get a bit too caught up in the raw numbers. I apply the same logic to Dave Parker in the 70s. There wasn't anyone better in the NL OF with the bat/glove/feet in the 70s. When you're among the elite for a decade (and have championship rings) you deserve a spot.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Jr is morally obligated to only wear HOF monickers on Seattle garb.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Jr is morally obligated to only wear HOF monickers on Seattle garb.
    Why bring Jr into this conversation? What does he have to do with the great 8 that were in town for the weekend?

17. Likes:

CoachBombay (09-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Why bring Jr into this conversation? What does he have to do with the great 8 that were in town for the weekend?
    Clearly he is supporting his son.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I think you can make a case for one guys, especially since some players like you cited are in, but the thing that sets Davey apart from a Trammel (in my view) is he was considered the best in his league at his position for a decade. Trammel may have been thought of that way in certain seasons, but not a decade like Davey was.

To me, that's where sometimes we get a bit too caught up in the raw numbers. I apply the same logic to Dave Parker in the 70s. There wasn't anyone better in the NL OF with the bat/glove/feet in the 70s. When you're among the elite for a decade (and have championship rings) you deserve a spot.
    That's not a good argument. Trammel was competing with Ripken and Yount in the AL for top SS honors. During the 70's, SS was a pretty weak position which allowed Davey to standout longer. Simply put, Davey wasn't nearly the hitter Trammell was, and both were stellar in the field.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Okay. Perhaps they should go ahead and give him a new one. lol
    How would that work?

Hey Ken, you've really packed on the pounds in the last few years and we know there's no way in hell you still fit that Reds HOF we gave you. So can we make you a new one? We just need to get your measurements and I've strung together two tape measures end to end and I think that'll get the job done.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

According to Joe Posnanski's book "The Machine," Ken Griffey still bears a grudge against Joe Morgan. Griffey insists that Morgan refused to let him steal bases in front of him, because it disrupted Morgan's concentration at the plate. Griffey certainly had the speed to steal 70 bases a year, but he allegedly didn't get the green light because of Morgan.

Maybe he refused to wear the blazer as some kind of statement against Morgan.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?