Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Who plays CF in 2014?

Re: Who plays CF in 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    But the reality is that there's not many CF that are OBP monsters.

There's only 13 CF with at least 300 at bats that have been able to OBP 330 or better this year. Lower the bar to your unacceptable 320, and you have 21 qualifiers. Even Span, one of our big wish list items last year, is only OBPing 329 this year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting...ePct/minpa/300

That's why I think if BillyH gives us elite defense in CF and OBP 315-320, he's going to be adequate. Not an allstar, but definitely adequate.
    I'm coming around to the argument that .315 to .320 might be livable. What I can't get past is that he was at .308 in AAA this year. I just refuse to assume he'll do even a point better in the big leagues. I'm guessing .250 to .275. I'd say for me to have some confidence that he'll reach .315 to .320 in the big leagues, I want to see .350 in AAA. Until then, he's a last resort, not a guy to plan on.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Why does everybody ignore the obvious comp? Vince Coleman. His minor league numbers look a lot like Hamiltons....

Coleman:
    A (21) - .350/.431/.399 - 145 steals
    AAA (22) - .257/.323/.334 - 101 steals

Hamilton:
    A-AA (21) - .311/.411/.420 - 155 steals
    AAA (22) - .256/.308/.343 - 75 steals

I'll take a pre-(fire)crack Vince Coleman with better D on a rookie contract. Let him steal 100 bases a year, it'll be fun to watch.

Joel Luckhaupt‏@jluckhaupt7m
    Total Zone credits Shin-Soo Choo with the most runs saved in the NL (27). DRS has him giving up the most runs in the NL (-17).
    Are defensive metrics wacky, or is it that defensive metrics are very wacky? Discuss.

5. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (09-09-2013)

Turn Off Ads?